Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1
tylosaurus

Reged: 06/17/09

Help making a Sky Safari Observing list new
      #5556016 - 12/05/12 05:06 PM

I need some help in making a Sky Safari Observing list from a list of the Orion Deep Map 600 objects, that can be found here, in a spreadsheet format.

http://www.raycash.org/dm600.htm

This would be 3 lists, one for Double Stars, 1 for Variable Stars, and one for Deep Sky Objects. Can anyone do this for me, or at the very least, tell me how I can do it myself?

thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Help making a Sky Safari Observing list new [Re: tylosaurus]
      #5556105 - 12/05/12 06:09 PM

You need to export the spreadsheet to CSV format then you would need to write a small program to read that CSV file and write out the sky safari file. You could use pretty much any programming language you are familiar with, it would be a simple program.

If you don't know any programming language then you can do it the normal way, which is create 3 new lists in Sky Safari and then look up each object one a time with the search feature and save each object to the appropriate list. That is how I made my last few list. Although 600 objects seems like a lot, you could probably build all three list in about 5 or 6 hours.

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
      #5556509 - 12/05/12 09:56 PM

If you use observation planning software such as AstroPlanner , you can download that list directly from their web site and export it in the format used by SkySafari.

Don

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Help making a Sky Safari Observing list new [Re: Digital Don]
      #5557731 - 12/06/12 03:23 PM

Quote:

If you use observation planning software such as AstroPlanner , you can download that list directly from their web site and export it in the format used by SkySafari.

Don

+1

knightware
Vendor (Knightware)

Reged: 03/22/06

Loc: North Carolina
      #5557834 - 12/06/12 04:29 PM Attachment (71 downloads)

Hi tylosaurus,

I've exported the 3 DeepMap lists to SkySafari observing list files using Deep-Sky Planner 6. I tested all 3 lists on SkySafari Plus, and a few of the objects didn't export because no match was found in the SkySafari database.

I've attached a zip file containing all 3 lists. Please let me know how they work for you.

tylosaurus

Re: Help making a Sky Safari Observing list new [Re: knightware]
      #5558183 - 12/06/12 07:55 PM

Thanks! I have neither programming skills nor Astroplanner or Deep Sky Planner

tylosaurus

#5558186 - 12/06/12 07:58 PM

would you mind telling me which objects were not in SkySafari?

I'm a beta tester, and I might want to suggest their inclusion in the database.

thanks

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
      #5558201 - 12/06/12 08:11 PM

I would be curious about that as well. Possibly we know them within a different catalog?

knightware
Vendor (Knightware)

Re: Help making a Sky Safari Observing list new [Re: btschumy]
      #5558787 - 12/07/12 08:07 AM

tylosaurus & Bill,

I compared the lists in SkySafari to the original in Deep-Sky Planner to find 1 missing item each in the double star and variable star lists. There are 8 items missing in the dso list (462 out of 470 found). Being rather large, I have not compared those. Hopefully Bill has a tool that will show which items are not matched when a list is imported?

I am using SkySafari Plus 1.6.2 on Android. I verified that these 2 items are present in their respective skylist files. The missing items are:

Double star list: WDS 17322+5511

Variable star list: RY Aqr

If you'd like to investigate further, please PM me and we'll proceed off-list. Bill, you should have my email address.

- Phyllis

Astraforce Paul
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/05/05

Re: Help making a Sky Safari Observing list [Re: knightware]
      #5559671 - 12/07/12 05:45 PM

Maybe a lawyer in the forums can chime in on this, but past practice is that you also need to get *copyright permission* from Orion to do this.

Similarly, you need permission to use the RASC deep sky list, Saguaro Astronomy Club 100 Deep Sky, Tom Lorenzin's 1000 DSOs, or any other list, unless specified as public domain or under a Creative Commons License.

knightware
Vendor (Knightware)

Re: Help making a Sky Safari Observing list new [Re: Astraforce Paul]
      #5561931 - 12/09/12 07:02 AM

As I understand my copyright attorney, you are partly correct. If one reproduces the content of a list of objects that is copyrighted, one must get permission to distribute from the copyright holder.

One does not need permission to produce a list of object names. The key difference is that a list of names (designations) of objects is not copyrightable; the full content of such a list may be (RA, Dec, magnitude etc).

The example lists uploaded above contain object designations and therefore are not copyrightable.

Astraforce Paul
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/05/05

Re: Help making a Sky Safari Observing list new [Re: knightware]
      #5571202 - 12/14/12 05:27 PM

Appreciate the copyright comment and the distinction between just a list of names and the rest.

Intriguingly, if you check Ray Cash's site (the OP mentioned it as what he wanted to use to crease an observing list), you'll see that Ray received permission from Orion to use the data and post the spreadsheet. http://www.raycash.org/dm600.htm

"Thanks goes to Steve Peters, the DM600 editor from Orion Telescopes and Binoculars--the man that not only conceived of the idea of the DeepMap 600--but also directed its content, design and production; including writing copy for it. Thanks also to Steve and Orion for allowing me to post the data here!"

If anyone clicks on the links, you'll see that the spreadsheets on that page are *much more* than just a list of objects, but include a rich set of descriptions, too!

My bet is that there would be no problem creating a list for your own use, but that things change when you start distributing such (i.e., producing copies).

vsteblina
sage

Reged: 11/05/07

Loc: Wenatchee, Washington
Re: Help making a Sky Safari Observing list new [Re: Astraforce Paul]
      #5578952 - 12/19/12 01:39 PM

Does anybody know how to input a variable star designation into an observing list directly.

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1338

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics