Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1
jerry32

Reged: 10/30/10

Focal Reducer question
      #5559807 - 12/07/12 06:50 PM

So i have a Orion Starshoot g3 Monochrome Camera. I need a Focal Reducer (i own a Skyprodigy 6) so i can take a more "wide field" view of soem of the DSO.. I was looking at this one
http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-reducer-corrector.html

i was wondering if anyone has a better one they reccomend for around the same price.

also im looking into buying this Light pollution filter

http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-uhc-lpr-filter-1-25-in.html

so if i install these 2 will i loose much or any detail on my pictures? or will it make them better? (i also own a neximage 5)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W
Re: Focal Reducer question new [Re: jerry32]
      #5562328 - 12/09/12 12:10 PM

I have that reducer and another almost identical one by Meade. One has a slightly longer focal length than the other. I imagine you wouldn't notice the difference between the two.

From my experience the reducer makes your scope faster (i.e. takes pictures in less time) and gives a wider field of view, as you would expect, and I find it very useful.

Also from my experience the light filter is a little like wearing sun glasses at night. It makes everything darker so your exposure times go up. Other than that I never noticed that I liked my pictures any better. Any beneficial effect is too subtle for me. I no longer use a filter.

The NexImage 5 was designed to have a narrow field of view because planets are small. The only reason to use a reducer with that camera is because your tripod and mount are so bad you can never find the planet otherwise. You might use it if you want to get more of the Moon in your picture.

The Skyprodigy 6 has an alt/az mount so you need to worry about getting short exposure times to reduce rotation blur. I recommend using the f/6.3 reducer and not using any filter.

Tapio
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/24/06

Loc: Tampere, Finland
Re: Focal Reducer question new [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #5562368 - 12/09/12 12:31 PM

Celestron is a good choice. Don't think there's better one in that price range.
LPR filters should be used if there's well light pollution problem. It helps to cure evlil gradients produced by street lights etc.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: Focal Reducer question new [Re: Tapio]
      #5563389 - 12/10/12 12:14 AM

I fully support light pollution filters, just make sure you get one made for CCD imaging, not visual use. The one I got for visual use made all my astro-images look green and it was very difficult to fix this in post processing.

Also, a focal reducer, will allow you to reduce exposure times, this might even allow you to take some images of brighter DSO's using your ALT-AZ mount, just keep your exposures short, you'r stars won't be perfect circles, but if the pictures make you happy, who cares?

Pages: 1

Extra information
18 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  nitegeezer, WOBentley, dr.who, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 306

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics