Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
Scott BeithAdministrator
SRF

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: Frederick, MD
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: James Ling]
      #5697155 - 02/23/13 07:27 PM

That is a fantastic setup.

Do you have anything new about the 152? Are you still happy with it?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gord
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/06/04

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: Scott Beith]
      #5697207 - 02/23/13 08:02 PM

Hi James,

Glad to see people enjoying themselves observing instead of waiting for the weather to clear (like here)!

Did you have a chance to try a prism diagonal in the new 152 as well? Also, how was the comparison against the C8 Edge? Looking forward to your report!

Clear skies,

James Ling
sage

Reged: 09/18/10

Loc: Singapore
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: Gord]
      #5697717 - 02/24/13 02:26 AM Attachment (84 downloads)

Hi John Scott Beith, Gord and ALL....

Sorry about not mentioning any result from last night shootout....

Last night really spent too much time, to bring up my 8" Istar and APM ED APO, up to my friend's roof top...
And after assembled and mounted the Istar onto the AP900, is almost 10pm....

Then we setup the other 2 smaller scopes, and coz the position that the APM scope is mounting onto, the view of the 14 days old moon and M42 is blocked by the canopy structure....
As such the APM is only pointing to Jupiter while the other 2 scopes are pointing at the moon, and then to M42.....
And last night Jupiter view through the APM scope is not promising....which may be caused by the hot weather heat, and is quite low ,although the sky is clear over the Western sector....
I could not power up beyond 100X to get sharp, crisp contrast , which I usually have no problem to go beyond 150X for the past few setup....

And the canopy structure is also blocking the view of Jupiter to both the Istar and C8 edge scopes.....

We are too late, to observe Jupiter last night, as it already setting in the West....after night fall....

AS such we plan to do another shootout, leaving my 2 scopes with my friend, and if tonight the weather is good, we will start early around 8pm...
And my friend will set up the 4th tripod mount for the APM, so that all 3 scopes can go for Jupiter first, then follow by M42 and the 15 days old moon....

I just hope tonight , which is another 4 hrs from now, the weather will be like last night, although now is very cloudy.....

REgards

James Ling

Scott BeithAdministrator
SRF

#5698254 - 02/24/13 01:18 PM

Thanks for the update James.
I hope the weather improves for you.

Scott...

mblack
Throw me a bone here

Reged: 10/31/05

Loc: Florida, USA.
      #5698381 - 02/24/13 02:32 PM

Yes I hope the weather improves James ... the comparison between the 8 inch catadioptric and the six-inch Chinese doublet should be really interesting... best of luck.

James Ling
sage

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: mblack]
      #5698985 - 02/24/13 09:55 PM

Hi John Scott Beith, David and All....

Last night weather is very cloudy that even the full moon is not visible.....
We called off the shootout, and can only be re-arranged on this coming weekend, as both of us are working, especially I am already now in oversea, and be back again this coming weekend....

Hi David....

My friend's 8 inch catadioptric collimation is checked and confirmed well collimated during last Saturday night, and is ready for the shootout with the APM.....

We did a small shootout between the C8 edge against the 8" Istar, and the Istar has proven that it is a scope that performs better than the SCT , when we point both scopes at M42...., in terms of nebula cloud details and the contrast...
Istar picks up star E easily, but the C8 edge couldn't, even I swap the zoom baader ep over.....

REgards

James Ling

Scott BeithAdministrator
SRF

#5699060 - 02/24/13 10:48 PM

Thanks again James for all of your reports.

James Ling
sage

#5702831 - 02/27/13 02:05 AM

Hi ALL....

Since last week we did not have a successful weekend for the shootout......

As such, for this coming weekend , we are going to do it on Friday night, till early Saturday morning......instead...

And our prime object will be Saturn, instead of Jupiter..
Just hope weather is fine , as I will be rushing back to Singapore for the shootout....., on Friday night....

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5707964 - 03/01/13 11:20 PM Attachment (67 downloads)

Hi ALL.....

This is a brief report comprises 4 scopes that are set-up last night for the shootout at my friend's roof top....

We started late and almost 12 midnight, as I rushed back from oversea, although the weather seems not promising during early evening time...

We have 3 scopes, setup on the 3 permanent piers, the C8 edge, 5" triplet and 8" Istar....

REgards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5707967 - 03/01/13 11:26 PM Attachment (70 downloads)

The 152 APM ED APO is setup over the other side , on a portable tripod......

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5707976 - 03/01/13 11:29 PM Attachment (68 downloads)

This is another view showing all the 4 scopes setting up at the roof top....

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5707986 - 03/01/13 11:41 PM Attachment (61 downloads)

The first prime target that we go for is the 20 days old moon....

Although the visual view is so bright, but the surface details are so much , that my other astronomy friend Gary shoot this photo shot through his hand phone and sent to me.....

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5707993 - 03/01/13 11:49 PM Attachment (110 downloads)

The following photos will show the CA level and its surface detail from both the Istar and APM.....................captured by my friend's HTC ONE S hand phone...

1st photo is from the Istar....

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5707999 - 03/02/13 12:02 AM Attachment (119 downloads)

And this photo is taken from the 152 APM ED APO....
Notice the level CA, which is similar amount as per visual...., this time we have plenty of time to test it with a prism diagonal....
And it seems to improve slightly, but is still visible, so I don't think is worth to go for one, as the current visual CA level is just a small amount...

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5708007 - 03/02/13 12:11 AM

As the APM ED APO setup still permits visual viewing of M42, the great orion nebula, unlike the other 3 scopes are blocked by the canopy structure, we wanted to see whether it can pick up star E in a 20 days old moon night, while the Istar has did that last weekend in a 14 days old moon night.....

And it barely picks up star E , while the Istar did it effortlessly during last weekend....

Regards

James Ling

zjc26138
Loved By All

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio
      #5708008 - 03/02/13 12:11 AM

Thanks for the report James!

James Ling
sage

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: zjc26138]
      #5708054 - 03/02/13 01:00 AM Attachment (77 downloads)

Quote:

Thanks for the report James!

Hi Zach Coldebella ...

Thanks...And the following will be what you are expecting...

Hi ALL.....

This is the final visual report that I am going to comment based on last night that all the 4 scopes that are tested at Saturn.....

As Saturn rises after midnight, and we started viewing this gas giant from around 20 deg from the horizontal level...

We are quite surprised all 4 scopes are able to power up to 200X , without image breakdown....with the cassini division and clouds bands clearly seen....

All three of us, are also busy going round and swapping for the scopes, to ensure that the magnification are quite equal...

The 1st comment here I noticed from the edge is that when Saturn is quite low, the image breakdown badly when you increased it beyond 200X, while the rest of the scope will start to breakdown....

We did not have a clear winner in the first hour of viewing, at 200X magnification....

But as Saturn rises more than 70 deg, from the horizontal level, we also start to increase the power to all the 4 scopes....

The APM ED APO has no problem to stay at 300X with my 4mm TMB ep....without image breakdown...
While the rest of the other 3 scopes are also not lagging far behind....

And finally when Saturn is really high up and overhead, I use my 7,5mm ultima ep with a 2X ultima barlow, and at 320X, is really showing Saturn cassini rings and the clouds bands so sharp , dark and distinct...Jupiter colour tone is also very pleasing .....

The C8 edge is able to show the cassini divisions and the clouds bands clearly..., but the image is a bit soft, and the cassini ring is not as dark as in the APM...., and the clouds bands although is dark, but the bands not as distinct as the APM....

The Istar at its best, I tried my 5X TV barlow, with my baader zoom ep , at 24mm, giving me 375X....
The view is still great, but it suffers the same like the C8 edge, in terms of the cassini division and the clouds bands to the APM....(Is lighter)

The 5" APO, surprisingly performs very well against the APM on Jupiter.... But did not outperform the APM when is viewing at Saturn...
The view is sharp and closely matched to the APM, but the colour tone is not as pleasing as I prefer....

One more interesting finding during last night shootout is the dew....
Out of the 4 scopes, only the C8 edge corrector dew up, while the rest didn't, when towards the end of out shootout session...
Only the APM is using the retractable dew shield, while the Istar and 5" APO did not use any dew shield...

Lastly before the end of our session, my friend , Gary took out his bino viewer, and we viewed the moon and Saturn, through the APM ED APO....
(photo shows me using the bino viewer)

And thank you all of you for reading this report....

Regards

James Ling

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
      #5708650 - 03/02/13 11:54 AM

Hi James,

Interesting report using those four telescopes. From what you say, the APM 152 doublet gave the best visual views of Saturn. It doesn't surprise me the the Edge 8 lagged a bit behind with the 35% CO. I have a SV 102ED doublet and it puts up very sharp/detailed visual views of Jupiter and gives my Meade 8" ACF scope a run for it's money around 200x. Thanks again for taking time to do this side-by-side comparison test.

Bill

James Ling
sage

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: Bill Barlow]
      #5709806 - 03/03/13 12:50 AM

Hi Bill....

Thanks for your comments .....

Hi ALL....

This is the utube link that my friend, Gary took during the shootout session:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KViuu2_o3o

The video shows the close-up views of the 4 scopes, and is only after I viewed through it, then I can confirmed what magnification being used by the scope at Saturn....

1. C8 edge is using a 12.5mm and 2X ultima barlow, giving 320X.....

2. 152 APM ED APO is using a 7.5mm ultima celestron ep and 2.5X TV barlow, giving 400X.....

And as Saturn is still almost 2 months away from opposition, I can imagine the size of Saturn that I am going to see during end end April....

REgards

James Ling

nirvanix
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: Saskatoon, SK
      #5709914 - 03/03/13 03:57 AM

Nice video, nice scopes. I love the finish on the Istar. We are fortunate now to have Jupiter and Saturn positioned so well for our viewing pleasure.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
44 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22285

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics