Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
James Ling
sage

Reged: 09/18/10

Loc: Singapore
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: nirvanix]
      #5711840 - 03/04/13 01:14 AM Attachment (114 downloads)

Hi Richard.. and ALL...

Richard. Thanks for your comment..

ALL. With regards to the Istar tube finish, is just an adhesive delco film that I purchased from a DIY shop, and pasted it over...Just cost me approx usd20 a sheet....( can see much clearer from this photo)

And hopefully time and weather permit more shootout can be carried out during the coming weekends as weather seems to start to improve.

I do want to see and compare the view at Saturn......with both my 152 APM ED APO and 10" Mewlon.....

Regards

James Ling

Edited by James Ling (03/04/13 01:16 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeyscope

Reged: 04/02/08

Loc: Scotland (UK)
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: James Ling]
      #5807779 - 04/18/13 09:43 PM

Hello James

I've been reading your article with interest, going back to your first images unpacking the refractor...

Does the case come as standard ...or did you order case as an extra?

Also...

I was looking on the APM website for a straight-through finder with illuminator as you had delivered but can't see one ...is the finder an APM product do you know?

Thanks

Mike

James Ling
sage

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: mikeyscope]
      #5808137 - 04/19/13 05:19 AM

Hi Mike....

Yes... The scope will come with the same case as shown....
The straight through finder with illuminator is also std, and is in sparkle paint finish...

You will receive every item shown in the photos, except the following:-

1. 2" diagonal is optional....

2. you will receive a different type focuser, instead of the one with a shorter focusing that I received, with an add on an extension tube....

As for the test report , I think you have to ask Markus, coz mine is the 2nd sample , so they sent it for the optics testing.....

This scope still has a potential to improve its performance....
Which once I received my CA corrector which I ordered for my Istar, I will test on it and see whether it will work for the APM ED APO...

REgards

James Ling

mikeyscope

#5808503 - 04/19/13 11:34 AM

James

Thanks for fast reply ...glad box is standard, it looks quite substantial too!
The finder was my main question as I prefer a straight through viewfinder than right angle but couldn't see anything about the illuminator on the APM website.

Hope the new Istar corrector works out for your scope!

Thanks again...

Mike

James Ling
sage

#5809985 - 04/20/13 02:43 AM Attachment (59 downloads)

Hi Mike....

As I just back home from oversea, I check the finder, and there is no brand or model on it, although is very much better than the orion right angle finder that I have....

As for the corrector for my 8" Istar that you have mentioned, I can have the following information, since I just have placed the order and paid for the CA corrector

1. It is not the Istar Raycorr as no one know exactly when the 1st sample will be built....

2. The CA corrector will come with the pre-installed adjustable diagonal....and spacer...

3. It will take a while to build up this full complete assembly , and when I received it, I will not need to do much adjustment...Perhaps in one month time....

4. I think this CA corrector may be able to use on the APM ED APO, so once I received it, I will test it on all my 3 refractors, that is 8" F8.8 Istar, APM 152ED APO and the C6R F8 , as all are having F8 and above....

Regards

James Ling

Edited by James Ling (04/20/13 02:47 AM)

mikeyscope

#5810487 - 04/20/13 09:54 AM

James

Thanks for posting the finder image ... I assume it's 7x50, anyway that looks fine.
Can I ask how the finder is held in the bracket...are the pins plastic tipped to prevent scratching or does the tube have protective bands around it.
I only ask as my Takahashi 7x50 is scratched & chipped from the holding pins...in particular the front pins though it doesn't help that the white paint used was brittle & easily damaged.

Hope to hear how you get on with the corrector when it arrives.

Thanks again...

Mike

James Ling
sage

#5810901 - 04/20/13 01:24 PM

Hi Mike....

Yes... the locking pins are all having plastic tips end.

And the cross hairs are double line type...

As for the corrector, I really like to know how well it can improve my Istar to take on my C14, on the giant gas planet Saturn, which now this week, I am pushing the C14 power to 450X during last Monday side walk and moments ago, Saturday side walk which i just return back from the event.

Regards

James Ling

Saied Mabrouk

Reged: 03/30/08

Loc: Longmont, Colorado
      #5840787 - 05/04/13 09:37 PM

Any news about availability of this telescope in USA?

mblack
Throw me a bone here

Reged: 10/31/05

Loc: Florida, USA.
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: Saied Mabrouk]
      #5840862 - 05/04/13 10:31 PM

Quote:

Any news about availability of this telescope in USA?

You can pre-order through optcorp.com

That's the only USA based dealer, afaik.

I placed a pre order, looking like a June/July delivery.

Saied Mabrouk

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: mblack]
      #5840966 - 05/05/13 12:06 AM

I have my OPT pre-order in as well.
The APM site shows the availability of this OTA to be May 5, 2013. I will wait for a call from OPT. When??
http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/product.html?info=3765&x752c6=kenct7g8pa8...

James Ling
sage

#5841155 - 05/05/13 05:29 AM

Hi David and Saied Mabrouk and ALL....

Wow... Looks like I am so lucky to have the scope 6 mths earlier than the actual production run.....

BTW, I should be receiving the CA corrector by end of this month, and once is tested on this APM ED APO, I will give an update on how it goes with it, although my intention is for my 8" Istar.....

Regards

James Ling

AlienRatDog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/15/05

Loc: Ann Arbor
      #5841309 - 05/05/13 09:03 AM

The Istar CA corrector is finally coming out?

James Ling
sage

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: AlienRatDog]
      #5841351 - 05/05/13 09:41 AM

Hi Abe....and ALL.....

No... The CA Corrector is not from Istar.

Sorry for those who thought that is from Istar....as I did not state the details of this CA Corrector earlier, coz I wanted to announce it only when I know the delivery date...

It is actually the chromacorr II, that is modified to suit the Istar.
It will come assembled with the NPZ 2" diagonal, and custom machining of two spacers for proper chromacorr orientation and spacing.

So it will be a plug and use for me, without the need to figure out how to orientate and alignment adjustment.

For me, although it should show drastic improvement, to the Istar, close to ED APO level, but I think there could be a possibilities to use on my other 2 F8 refractors, that is APM ED APO and C6R...

I already have plan to do another shootout at my astro friend's roof top, and we may add 1 or 2 more 10" aperture scopes....
Is just another 3 to 4 more weeks from now...

REgards

James Ling

Saied Mabrouk

#5841681 - 05/05/13 01:25 PM

Thanks James.
I do not see a good reason for using a CA corrector with the APM ED APO other than for experimentation and curiosity. If much better CA correction is required, one would add the cost of the CA corrector to the cost of the ED APO and go to a triplet or a super doublet.
Using a CA corrector is justified with an achromat like a Synta 6" F/8.
Regards.

James Ling
sage

#5879530 - 05/23/13 02:36 AM Attachment (55 downloads)

Hi ALL....

1. Just a little update on the performance of this 152 APM ED APO on the giant gas planet, Saturn during last Monday side walk....

2. Last Monday weather is quite clear, after an early thunder in the morning....

3. As is already almost one month after opposition, and the time is around 8.30pm....Saturn is quite high , at our equatorial region....

4. The baader zoom set at 8mm , with 150X, seems too small for such an occasion, and after 20mins or so, I quickly add in the 2X celestron ultima barlow ...to 300X....

5. Saturn at 300X is so sharp and crisp, with the cassini division so dark and distinct, that all those people who have seen it, wanted to use their hp to snap a photo of it, but I need to stop them, coz the queue is very long....

6. The queue only ends at 10pm......and as Saturn is now high up above.... I tried my 6mm LV Vixen ep with the 2X barlow at 400X, and the view still looks great....

5. And I even tested it with my 4.8mm Nagler ep with 2X barlow, but the view is darker, and the yellow tone of saturn become pale green....But the cassini division is still dark....

6. Is very difficult to relate image breakdown at 500X, although this is empty magnification as many people are saying....but if I have seen other achro, at such a high power, I only claim that breakdown if the image is fuzzy, but for the APM ED APO, is not....

7. But after getting some photo shots, I revert back the magnification with my 9mm nagler with 2X barlow, at 267X , and this provides the best view of Saturn.....

8. This simple report which I put up for the 152 APM ED APO, is to make known to all those who have ordered this scope, that you will not be disappointed with its performance , especially at Saturn....

Regards

James Ling

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51N 4E
      #5879555 - 05/23/13 03:39 AM

Given that the focus of this scope has been shifted away from the red to improve the out-of-focus blue, do you agree that the real test for this scope will be on Mars?

Of course Mars is only visible for a few months every two years, so for most people it will not be the prime consideration when ordering a scope.

GHarris

Reged: 06/06/09

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5879717 - 05/23/13 08:17 AM

Thanks for all the discussion of the scope James. I'm going to be getting one sometime in the coming weeks and while I'm not terribly experienced or knowledgeable I will try to chime in a bit with my own views when I can. You've set a great example with all this information and have really helped those of us who were thinking of buying.

Quote:

Given that the focus of this scope has been shifted away from the red to improve the out-of-focus blue...

Are you sure that's the case? I don't think I've read anything definitive about this scope in particular being biased towards blue/away from red correction.

It's a fair question though and of course it would be nice to know, next time Mars is close enough to use for testing (I guess this is only practical to test out at opposition, i.e. around April 2014?).

EDIT: On the topic of red vs blue, not sure if these posts by Markus Ludes were well noted by the community as he's only allowed to post in the vendor's forum. I'm not sure what context to put them into myself either, was slightly confused by the discussion last time this came up.

Edited by GHarris (05/23/13 08:31 AM)

NHRob
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/04

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5879722 - 05/23/13 08:21 AM

How was the color performance at those high mags?

mblack
Throw me a bone here

Reged: 10/31/05

Loc: Florida, USA.
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 [Re: GHarris]
      #5879771 - 05/23/13 08:53 AM

James, thanks for your report. Very promising in regards to the potential of the optics, yet not overly so.

Quote:

EDIT: On the topic of red vs blue, not sure if these posts by Markus Ludes were well noted by the community as he's only allowed to post in the vendor's forum. I'm not sure what context to put them into myself either, was slightly confused by the discussion last time this came up.

Yes, this is important. As a buyer, this 'rumor' of color correction was addressed by Markus. Proof will come at the eyepiece for me, but Markus has made it clear that the optics of this 152 doublet were (Edit: it's quite clear going by longitudinal aberration chart that the scope does correct for blue wavelength over red) a traditional design, and that visual wavelengths were favored.

I can only go by James reports and Markus's post from his optic designer.

Edited by mblack (05/23/13 04:14 PM)

Gord
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/06/04

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 [Re: mblack]
      #5880328 - 05/23/13 02:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, this is important. As a buyer, this 'rumor' of color correction was addressed by Markus. Proof will come at the eyepiece for me, but Markus has made it clear that the optics of this 152 doublet were not designed to correct more towards blue over red.

I can only go by James reports and Markus's post from his optic designer.

Hi David,

I have read Markus' comments on the vendor forum and the response from his optical designer, but I disagree with them. I don't think there is any rumor as the tests done by Mr. Rohr and the info shown by Markus himself say this design is blue optimized.

See here:
Rohr test of APM 152ED

The defocus shown for the wavelengths are:

green = 0
blue = 37 micron
red = 287 micron

But getting back to James latest report on Saturn, the scope performed very well he found. And if you look back to the discussion on this that was raised by Valery, he indicated that this would be the case. Saturn, the moon, etc. would not be impacted by this design decision. But Jupiter and especially Mars will be (due to the detail in the red channel).

And yes, it's unfortunate that Markus isn't able to participate here directly. I like reading his input.

Clear skies,

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
39 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22287

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics