Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
MacDougal

Reged: 11/24/05

Ever sold your stuff and bought it back - YES
      #5560613 - 12/08/12 10:09 AM

I think maybe the astronomy community is one huge circle where we buy and sell things and a couple of years later buy it back only to resell it again <smile>

I love the guy I bought from and was willing to accept my personal check only to be turned down by me a few montths later on his personal check. You know somethimes it is hard to keep track of everything especially if you buy and sell alot which is half the fun for me. 99% of the people I have met through buying and selling have been outstanding. Out of 240+ transactions maybe only one sour purchase (not bad)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Ever sold your stuff and bought it back - YES new [Re: MacDougal]
      #5560671 - 12/08/12 10:54 AM

Never the exact same item, but I have bought and sold four different telescope models.

C5... Sold one, and regretted it, replace it with another C5. Still have the C5. It is an amazing little scope.

C8... Sold one and regretted it, replaced it with another, but sold that one, only to replace with C8 EdgeHD.

Celestron CR150.. Sold one, later bought another one, but could just never live with the CA. The scope was not really useful to me for anything by low power.

Vixen 140NA. A very interesting scope, offering a massively wide true field, and one of the most influencial telescopes I have owned. Made me truely appreciate the wide field advantages of refractors. In the end though, it was another achromat and not well suited for high power observing. That being said, from time to time, I flirt with the idea of buying another one.

So, not the exact same sample, but numerous examples of buying the same model of something, selling it, and then missing it.

MacDougal

Reged: 11/24/05

Re: Ever sold your stuff and bought it back - YES new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5560713 - 12/08/12 11:19 AM

Thanks interesting read... I am sure the C8 EdgeHD is a killer scope. I have never looked through a Vixen 140NA but I sure like the size of it. I think about everyone of us has sold a scope and regretted it after the sale. I have been into SCT's for a very long time trying AP and now going the refractor route and hopefully with some good results.

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
      #5560906 - 12/08/12 01:38 PM

Bought a CPC 11 HD and sold the 8 SE to a friend.

Two weeks later the 8SE was back home and I'll part with it when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

Maybe this winter won't be THAT bad.

The 8SE is wonderful combination of lightweight mechanics and quality optics. It's my most used scope for just those reasons. Portability is king of the castle and my 8SE is master of my domain.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5561207 - 12/08/12 05:02 PM

No--when I sell stuff, I buy different stuff, and never the same stuff.

zippeee
sage

Reged: 12/27/10

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Ever sold your stuff and bought it back - YES new [Re: GeneT]
      #5561274 - 12/08/12 05:57 PM

I once tracked down two subsequent owners of a '78 Music Man Stingray (bass guitar) that I sold over 15 years earlier. I felt like I was searching for a lost child.

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: Ever sold your stuff and bought it back - YES new [Re: zippeee]
      #5561328 - 12/08/12 06:49 PM

Quote:

I once tracked down two subsequent owners of a '78 Music Man Stingray (bass guitar) that I sold over 15 years earlier. I felt like I was searching for a lost child.

I'm glad I never sold my Rogers Power Tones . A priceless classic that will be thrown on top of me when I go into the ground . They'll need to dig a big hole cause my scopes and Jeeps need to go in there too !
What's wrong with me ? I've never been a seller , or at least when it comes to personal purchases . If I buy it , I tend to keep it forever . A few used cars I got rid of . But with the Jeeps , they have all been keepers 4.0 and 4wd . Now I have four . Big hole !
And I used to be a salesman .

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Ever sold your stuff and bought it back - YES new [Re: starrancher]
      #5561700 - 12/08/12 11:40 PM

Not my story, but related: The original owner of my Obsession 20 sold it after investing a bunch of $$ and effort in improving it (one of the reasons I bought it). He wanted to get into imaging. After another 4 or 5 years, he sold all of the imaging gear to buy a new Obsession 20, this time with GoTo. Unfortunately he had to also sell that one about a year later after cancer limited his ability to use it.

Scott in NCAdministrator
80mm Refractor Fanatic

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: Ever sold your stuff and bought it back - YES new [Re: George N]
      #5561725 - 12/09/12 12:00 AM

Several years ago I bought an extra 2" dielectric diagonal off the used market. A couple years later I decided I didn't really need a spare, so I sold it. About a year or two later my scope lineup changed a little, so I bought an extra one again. Another couple of years later, I noticed that the guy I bought the last one from had a wanted ad for the same item, and I ended up selling it back to him.

Incidentally, I just sold this same guy a 4" apo refractor. I really had mixed feelings about selling that one, but had just bought something with slightly larger aperture to replace it, and couldn't justify keeping both refractors. Before selling it to him, I made him promise that if he ever decided to part with it, that he email me first. Something tells me that I haven't seen the last of that scope!

So yeah, I can definitely relate to what you're saying.

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/05

Loc: Virginia
Re: Ever sold your stuff and bought it back - YES new [Re: Scott in NC]
      #5561811 - 12/09/12 01:58 AM

There are a couple of times I wish I could have bought back something I sold....i.e., I sell something to help buy something else I think might be better suited only to find that it isn't.

Sometimes I feel like we could use a gear library where you just borrow a piece of gear for a few weeks/months and then return for something else - oh wait, I think that describes how I already use Amart

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
      #5561879 - 12/09/12 04:57 AM

Yes. One year ago, I bought back my very first beginner scope, a Tasco model 9TE-5 60/700mm refractor. I sold it in 1978 (at age 15), in order to raise funds for my first Technis HiFi music equipment.

I bought back that Tasco model from a gentleman in South England. Not exactly my personal scope, but the same model in original and untouched mint NIB-condition in the period original box from the early 1970's, complete with all accessories.

Buying back that little Tasco was an act of pure nostalgia...

Stephan

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
Re: Ever sold your stuff and bought it back - YES new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #5561904 - 12/09/12 06:05 AM

Once I sold a Super Polaris mount to a fellow club member. A few years later I bought it back.

Another time I sold a Celestron C102f to get funds for a down payment on a new house. I missed that scope so much I bought another one on A-mart a couple of years later.

star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Ever sold your stuff and bought it back - YES new [Re: GeneT]
      #5561937 - 12/09/12 07:16 AM

Quote:

No--when I sell stuff, I buy different stuff, and never the same stuff.

Ditto for me.

Scott in NCAdministrator
80mm Refractor Fanatic

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: Ever sold your stuff and bought it back - YES new [Re: Doug D.]
      #5562018 - 12/09/12 08:52 AM

Quote:

Sometimes I feel like we could use a gear library where you just borrow a piece of gear for a few weeks/months and then return for something else - oh wait, I think that describes how I already use Amart

+1

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #5562043 - 12/09/12 09:19 AM

There have been quite a few items I regret selling, but so far only two I have bought back (same model):

1) 22 Panoptic. A real gem of an eyepiece, especially with long focus Newtonians. Sharp, immersive, and relatively low glass count. A natural bridge from the 31 Nagler to the Delos focal lengths.

2) SkyWindow binocular mount. Absolutely the most comfortable binocular mount yet conceived. The entire assembly and tripod can be carried one-handed to the backyard, sessions can go for hours without fatigue.

Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Ever sold your stuff and bought it back - YES new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #5562129 - 12/09/12 10:13 AM

I have only sold one telescope that I TRULY regret selling. It was an APM/TMB 6" f/8 APO and I sold it while under duress from a breakup. I have often thought about sending the new owner an email to see how he's doing after 5 years - maybe he's moved on, hobby-wise......

But I haven't.

Dave

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Ever sold your stuff and bought it back - YES new [Re: Cotts]
      #5562588 - 12/09/12 02:45 PM

I'm such a compulsive hoarder of astro-gear that in the six+ years I've been seriously back into astronomy, I've only ever once sold anything (Orion XT8 dob with four plossl eyepieces thrown in with it) and cannot imagine ever wanting them back. OK make that twice, I sold the stock 9x50 finderscope off my 12XTi dob for a nominal amount to a friend in our club and cannot imagine ever wanting that back either, since I now have a much mo'better finderscope than that (SV60).

I have a few minor items of rarely-used equipment I could sell, but I have my obsessive-compulsive rationalizations for hanging onto them: an Orion 1.25" laser, an Orion combo 1.25" collimating tool, and a 1.25" TuBlug, which are really only useful at our club's occasional telescope tune-up clinics where non-members nearly always bring in inexpensive scopes with 1.25"-only focusers. You all may get your chance to buy these items, though: at the estate sale my heirs conduct someday.

Edited by FirstSight (12/09/12 02:47 PM)

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: Ever sold your stuff and bought it back - YES new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5562813 - 12/09/12 05:18 PM

Talk about losing it. I sold a nice Selsi 80x910, a Jason 80x1200 and a Pacific Instruments mount to 3 different parties locally 30+ years ago. I'll be damned if I can remember who they were or what they looked like. What are my chances of buying this stuff back???? Huh? Mike

zjc26138
Loved By All

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio
Re: Ever sold your stuff and bought it back - YES new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5562988 - 12/09/12 07:03 PM

Over the years I've owned the same piece if equipment more than once. My second scope ever was a Meade AR5. I sold and a couple years later I bought another one and I still own it. Also I've owned a 80/9D twice.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Ever sold your stuff and bought it back - YES new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5563753 - 12/10/12 08:53 AM

Will pricing be based on what you told your wife you paid for them????

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1710

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics