Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | >> (show all)
milby

Reged: 03/11/12

Loc: Indiana, USA
Re: new [Re: Tel]
      #5560514 - 12/08/12 08:32 AM

Tel, the Cali nebula image is only from filtered exposures. I haven't delved into layering with visual wavelength shots yet. If you have any tips for doing that I am, as they say, all ears!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
      #5560630 - 12/08/12 10:25 AM

Hey Robin, yes, very much better, nice round stars at 10 seconds, i`m sure you can improve on that,good to see your much happier now that Tel has pointed you in the right direction, onward and upward.

milby, a very nice section of the Cal nebula,i thought of having a go at this target the other night, but its sheer size given my FOV with my set up, put me off giving it a try.Good luck with your mosaicing . Love the tendrils showing in your image.

Many thanks Tel for your comment, i have done a third process as you know of IC405, which i sent to you, your extra high pass filter tweak certainly helped in that regard, will be posting the final version of this image shortly.

regards,

Tom.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: new [Re: haytor]
      #5560655 - 12/08/12 10:42 AM

Here`s my third process of IC405, the Flaming star nebula captured in mono Ha.

Although Haseeb liked the first posting of this image over my second,and Tel prefered the second,i myself was still not happy with either, i just felt there was more data to bring through.so before trying a third time i went onto the NET to download and see wider field shots of this target by others, it soon dawned on me that i had not stretched the data far enough.

In wider field images, i could tell that my more restricted Fov was in an area which contained no blackness of space, in fact the enire FOV of my image should show varying amounts of faint to dense nebulosity throughout the entire image.With that now discovered, i again processed the data again and stretched it further, sure enough the data came through.

I sent the image to Tel via email, he then added an extra tweak with another "high pass" in P/S and adjustment of levels and returned his tweaked image to me, i very much liked the extra high pass filter treatment he did, the only thing i altered in this final version is the levels which i adjusted to my personal tastes.

Many thanks, Tel, for your help with this one.

best regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (12/08/12 11:47 AM)

Pete GLA
sage

Reged: 12/20/07

Loc: South of Detroit MI
Re: [Re: Maverick199]
      #5560804 - 12/08/12 12:23 PM

Tom, Peter, milby, Haseeb and the rest of Our Gang...
Many thanks,

I'm no expert post-processor, but feel that I'm beginning to reach the next level of processing (similar to aperture fever). So far I'm using freeware software to process images (Registax, Rawtherapee, DSS). I know that using a commercial processing software will improve them a bit more, but I'm wondering if
1) my location is the limit to squeezing out every little detail possible. I'm on the boundary of a Red/White zone, I can visually see a 4.2mag star on an average night (4.6 on what I'd call an Astronomical Night). Lots of haze and humidity...Neighbour's flood lights that make it look like it's daylight.
2) As mentioned, purchasing commercial post-processing software may do the trick.
3) Aperture. Going from the C8 to a C11 or larger...
4) Making the habit of collimating the C8 before each imaging session (may be a bit of an overkill?)
or all of the above!!! as some of you might say...

As you are quite pleased with my efforts, I too am (and much more) with your DSO imaging. From my site, I've tried it a few times and became very frustrated at seeing the final processed image (after taking 3 hours worth of Lights)...And I see some of you posting images of IC434, Bubble or Soul Nebula as examples, and look like they were taken from a dark site, but in fact taken anywhere between a Red and White Zone...

Keep them coming Gang...I am very surprised at what I can do with so little time and an "entry level" set up. I've seen images of Jupiter done by some of my Astronomy Club members using the C14 and found out that I'm neck-to-neck with them. So my suspicion is that location, location, location is the secret. Our Club's site has a 6.5 Limiting Visual Magnitude (according to my eyes) and still can't escape the haze and humidity.

It's very frustrating when a storm passes (snow or rain) and it's still cloudy East of the Great Lakes and folks enjoy clear skies West of the Great Lakes. We not only suffer from the Lake Effect Snow/Rain, but lingering Clouds as well.

ps,

For Sale: Fresh Water, lots of it...Cheap only $1.00. Must take all of it. I call it The Great Lakes!!! Does have great rewards living with them.

Clear Skies,
Pete

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: new [Re: milby]
      #5561901 - 12/09/12 05:51 AM

Quote:

Tel, the Cali nebula image is only from filtered exposures. I haven't delved into layering with visual wavelength shots yet. If you have any tips for doing that I am, as they say, all ears!

Hi Milby,

This begs the the answer to the inevitable question, "How long's a piece of string" !

But joking aside, what to layer, when to layer, whether to layer at all or if indeed the hardware set-up will permit final layering of images, depends, as I'm sure you appreciate, on very many factors notwithstanding of greatest importance, the subject matter itself !

In your case though and as far as I'm aware, your Starlight Xpress is a one shot colour camera. (?)

Whether the colour aspect can be switched off to produce a monochrome feature from which the taking of individual RAW RGB frames is possible, I would need to know.

Then again there are other problems linked to the use of "Hyperstar" systems. Correct me if I'm wrong, but because such would obscure the corrector plate of your 9.25" SCT, you cannot use a filter wheel to interchange filters thus presenting you with the further complications of camera realignment for any filter change. (?)

Naturally if you dispense with the use of your "Hyperstar" unit and image in the normal manner, (i.e. from the back of the 'scope), then an interchangeable filter wheel may of course be used.

I have to admit though when all's said, I've only worked for this purpose with Photoshop (CS2) so can only advise on the methods familiar to me.

Assuming then that you are using similar processing software, I would suggest that the best way to learn basic layering would be to take two exposures of M42, (one short, to display the "Trapezium" and one longer, to pick up those wispy filaments of the surrounding gaseous material), thereafter layering the two to composite effect. It's a good subject with which to practise.

Alternatively, If you can switch your camera to a monochrome mode, interchange Ha and Olll filters, (and if available, S2 too .... although S2 is not absolutely necessary), and effect good "Hyperstar" line-up accuracy between filter interchange, (tricky !), you can create artificial colour to spectacular, wide field effect by employing what's known as the "Hubble Palette". (Hubble Palette-ing can of course equally be used in normal prime focus imaging).

If you're unfamiliar with this, here's a link giving an example tutorial.

http://bf-astro.com/hubblep.htm

Does any of this help at all ?

Best regards,
Tel

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
      #5562433 - 12/09/12 01:05 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

I was able to get the Rosette nebula with 200mm f/4L on C6 at 20 x 60 secs, with darks and bias. Flats didn't come out well. You can see the amount of LP in my location from this image.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5562774 - 12/09/12 04:52 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

Hi Haseeb,

I've tried to reduce that light pollution in P/Shop with the attached result. What do you think ? Does this look too artificial ?

Best regards,
Tel

milby

Reged: 03/11/12

Loc: Indiana, USA
      #5563007 - 12/09/12 07:17 PM

Tel,

Thanks for your lengthy and thoughtful reply. I am, indeed, hamstrung by the Hyperstar with regard to filtering (no room for a wheel and removing the camera to switch filters is cumbersome) and my SXV is a one-shot color camera.

I am wondering about adding an HA layer to the one-shot color to enhance some details. I think I know how to do this by brute force methods in PS but haven't mustered the energy for the attempt yet. I was hoping for a simple, elegant approach

Cheers

m

Uggbits
sage

Reged: 04/28/10

#5563040 - 12/09/12 07:43 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

I took a look at the Jpeg, and honestly there isn't much data in there that hasn't been destroyed by noise. This is just messing around with PI for a few minutes, but I had to do some extreme things to calm the background down a bit.

Edited by Uggbits (12/09/12 07:44 PM)

Uggbits
sage

Re: new [Re: Uggbits]
      #5563052 - 12/09/12 07:50 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

I also got bored of the multitude of finals I'm study for and reprocessed some old data from my alt/az days on the CPC. This was somewhere around 2 hours of 30-45 second shots with my CPC 800 and a Canon XSi. Hope you like the reprocess.

Uggbits
sage

Re: new [Re: Uggbits]
      #5563394 - 12/10/12 12:19 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

Continuing on the theme or being bored and re-processing old data this is m81.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: new [Re: milby]
      #5563566 - 12/10/12 04:52 AM

Quote:

Tel,

Thanks for your lengthy and thoughtful reply. I am, indeed, hamstrung by the Hyperstar with regard to filtering (no room for a wheel and removing the camera to switch filters is cumbersome) and my SXV is a one-shot color camera.

I am wondering about adding an HA layer to the one-shot color to enhance some details. I think I know how to do this by brute force methods in PS but haven't mustered the energy for the attempt yet. I was hoping for a simple, elegant approach

Cheers

m

Hi Milby,

Just a futher observation or two in response to what you propose you might like to do next as part of the expansion of your imaging technique : (i.e. superimpose a stacked and processed set of Ha images on a similar stack and processed set of one shot colour images).

However, if this is indeed what you propose, I'm sure you realise that it won't matter from which end of your 'scope the imaging is carried out for, without the use of a filter wheel, you will still have the problem of aligning the camera in preparation for the capture of the individual sets.

I'm sure you know what I mean, but obviously in the absence of a filter wheel you will have to make some provision for replacing the SVX H9C back on the 'scope accurately, (having, for example, removed the Ha filter), so that the two sets of images can ultimately be superimposed one upon the other.

So saying though and I speak only from theory because I have never carried this out in practice, it's surely not beyond the realms of possibility to mark a "line-up" position on the camera and scope body to permit this. (?)

Even if they do not align perfectly; once both are stacked and passed to P/shop for processing, there is still some room for manoever in P/shop so long as they are not too far adrift from each other.

In any event: experiment ! Produce the two sets of images if you've a mind to do so, stack them each to produce two master images and then we can, if you wish, work on them to see what sort of a result their layering may bring !

If nothing, it should make for a little learning and if not, at least a little fun !

Hoping these comments help and that I am not trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs !

Best regards,
Tel

Edited by Tel (12/10/12 04:56 AM)

Tel
Postmaster

#5563592 - 12/10/12 06:13 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

Hi Uggs,

Considering the exposure time you attributed to the capture of "The Triffid", you certainly held any field rotation in check !

It's a celestial object I would dearly like to attempt but unfortunately, I'm too far North to get any kind of view of Saggitarius whatsoever from my backyard location and, as my gear is permanently fixed in my observatory, transporting everything necessary to another site, doesn't inspire me at my age !

Can I however ask whether the image is cropped ? It seems to be fairly narrow in its FOV having stemmed from a DSLR, or was it merely taken at the 'scope's f/10 ?

I only ask because it seems to suffer a little from star bloating, a nuisance factor under which my images used to suffer using my old Meade DSI.

Given that there are many, many stars in the background surrounding "The Triffid", there is a feature within Craig Stark's "Nebulosity" capture and processing software which is designed to "tighten" the diameter of stars, (i.e. reduce the bloating), which I find very useful and not without appeal.

In the first instance, it does what it says and reduces the size of bloated stars and at the same time, loses a number of the fainter, and in my view unwanted background stars to the benefit of displaying the main object of the image better. Attached is what I mean for comparison with your original above.

Just an observation. You may of course not agree.

Best regards and I hope the studies are continuing well,
Tel

Edited by Tel (12/10/12 06:27 PM)

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5564129 - 12/10/12 12:59 PM

Thanks Tel and Uggbits. Tel, you have definitely found a way to make the background look much, much better than what I could imagine and improved the Rosette as well.

Uggs, you have managed to balance both out very well. And those images of the Trifid are excellent with Tel's re-processing making them look more vibrant.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5564270 - 12/10/12 02:17 PM

Another set of lovely images to please the eye.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

ghataa
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/11

Loc: Central, NJ
Re: new [Re: Peter9]
      #5564730 - 12/10/12 07:13 PM

Hi Milby,

I have aligned images taken on different nights using PixInsight. The module is "Dynamic Alignment" and works wonders. Still, as Tel said, getting the camera oriented the similarly helps a lot.

Best,

George

THEPLOUGH
ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND
Re: new [Re: ghataa]
      #5564912 - 12/10/12 09:10 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Great images Guys, keep them coming...

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: [Re: THEPLOUGH]
      #5565392 - 12/11/12 04:18 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

Never thought I could get three moons, such were the seeing conditions.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: [Re: Maverick199]
      #5565404 - 12/11/12 04:47 AM

Agree with Geoff, some damned good images posted here,Very much like Uggs M81 capture, its always been a nemesis of mine with my L/P problem, some nice dark lanes near the core in that image, great capture of the Triffid, like Tel i cannot really acsess it.

Haseeb, nice capture of Jupiter and three of its moons, congrats on capturing them, can i also see a hint of the GRS at the 3 oclock position right on the limb

Regards,

Tom.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: [Re: haytor]
      #5565540 - 12/11/12 08:53 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Thank you Tom, I guess it's there, saw again from my pics. For the GRS, this was my best attempt, thanks to Tel's processing.

Pages: << 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 83322

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics