Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade LX

Pages: 1
Slow Astronomer

Reged: 05/01/10

Loc: Milky Way Galaxy
Meade 883 Tripod Mount for ETX-125EC
      #5561101 - 12/08/12 03:48 PM

Well I just dusted off my ancient ETX-125EC and am reviewing the mounting procedure for the 883 tripod. I have 2 sets of directions from Meade.

One says to put one of the attachment knobs in the hole away from the table tripod holes and and put the assembly on the tripod with the knob directly above the leg w/the 'N' marked on it.

The other set of directions says to put the first knob in the hole between the table tripod holes then put the assembly on the tripod w/the knob above the 'N' marked on the leg.

These two sets of directions are 180 degrees different. I then do the CCW/CW bit to get the tube pointed the right direction. If I do the first directions I end up w/the right fork over the control panel then the tube is pointing right over the leg marked 'N'. Actually appears to make sense.

If I follow the second directions the tube ends up pointing 180 degrees the other direction. ??????

Yes, I know about picking the whole thing up and making sure it points North. It's been very cloudy I just want to try to get this straight as a trial run in my basement before going outside.There's a reason I'm known the SLOW Astronomer! We have an Outreach coming up and we're trying to get "all tubes on deck". Thanks for your help!

Dave

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rvrrnnr

Reged: 01/24/13

Loc: Boulder City, Nevada
Re: Meade 883 Tripod Mount for ETX-125EC new [Re: Slow Astronomer]
      #5642937 - 01/25/13 04:34 PM

Hi,
Before I replaced the 883 with the newer field tripod, I would set the scope on the 883 so that, when the fork was tilted for the polar alignment, the fork would be over the north leg (the north leg pointing north).

Hope this helps.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 833

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics