Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade Computerized Telescopes

Pages: 1
drbyyz
sage

Reged: 11/04/12

LX200 Classic and Arduino new
      #5514319 - 11/11/12 11:41 AM

So, after moving around over the past 5 years and having my scope in storage at random locations, I managed to lose all the wires and keypad for the scope. While I do enjoy the challenge of finding stuff on my own(was never a big fan of the GoTo function),I do miss the motors keeping stuff in the eyepiece once I found it.

I have a decent amount of experience with programming, motor control, and microprocessors/controllers so I'm thinking about getting started on a little project to rebuild my lost parts. I have 2 Arduino Unos already at my disposal that I'd like to use for the foundation of the control, if they have enough memory to hold all required programming.

Like I said earlier, all I really want to get done is having it track the sky. No GoTo functions needed at this point.

Has anyone on here done something like this before? Specifically with the Arduino platform. Would love any advice or warnings as I get started.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jareddewitt

Reged: 05/23/12

Re: LX200 Classic and Arduino new [Re: drbyyz]
      #5544365 - 11/28/12 06:37 PM

I started researching this same thing once upon a time. Check out the command set for the LX200 serial commands. I totally think it's possible.

http://www.meade.com/support/LX200CommandSet.pdf

Might want to try stellarium with a laptop first though.

Christopher EricksonModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/08/06

Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii
Re: LX200 Classic and Arduino new [Re: jareddewitt]
      #5549233 - 12/01/12 06:48 PM

Quote:

I started researching this same thing once upon a time. Check out the command set for the LX200 serial commands. I totally think it's possible.

http://www.meade.com/support/LX200CommandSet.pdf

Might want to try stellarium with a laptop first though.

Without restoring the existing electronics to functionality, those commands aren't going to be useful.

Carpal Tunnel

Re: LX200 Classic and Arduino new [Re: drbyyz]
      #5549277 - 12/01/12 07:15 PM

Quote:

So, after moving around over the past 5 years and having my scope in storage at random locations, I managed to lose all the wires and keypad for the scope. While I do enjoy the challenge of finding stuff on my own(was never a big fan of the GoTo function),I do miss the motors keeping stuff in the eyepiece once I found it.

I have a decent amount of experience with programming, motor control, and microprocessors/controllers so I'm thinking about getting started on a little project to rebuild my lost parts. I have 2 Arduino Unos already at my disposal that I'd like to use for the foundation of the control, if they have enough memory to hold all required programming.

Like I said earlier, all I really want to get done is having it track the sky. No GoTo functions needed at this point.

Has anyone on here done something like this before? Specifically with the Arduino platform. Would love any advice or warnings as I get started.

Thanks!

It sounds like you want to set up an Arduino to drive a 12-18V bidirectional gearhead DC motor using PWM (Pulse Wave Modulation) and using a two-bit relative optical encoder for feedback speed control. And have the drive rate adjustable by some user-controllable means for fine adjustments and possible even controlling the DEC axis so as to give dual-axis pointing adjustments.

That is all certainly doable but it would be significantly easier and faster to just send your existing dead electronics to Ron Sampson for repair. The existing LX200-Classic electronics can easily be used for simple, dual-axis control without aligning with the sky and using the GOTO capabilities.

And if you are in Alt-Az configuration, simple dual-axis motor control won't work at all.

drbyyz
sage

Reged: 11/04/12

Re: LX200 Classic and Arduino new [Re: Christopher Erickson]
      #5561165 - 12/08/12 04:36 PM

Well I decided to scrap that project after doing quite a bit of research. Seems like a bit more work than I have the time and possibly ability to put in. Going to work on finding that darned keypad, it's got to be at my parents house somewhere.

As for the Arduino, I've been reading up on some dew controllers made with them and that definitely seems much more on my level. Plus, it's a badly needed accessory for me, this South Carolina humidity is killing my sessions...have to bring out the hairdrier every 10 minutes.

Carpal Tunnel

Re: LX200 Classic and Arduino [Re: drbyyz]
      #5561180 - 12/08/12 04:44 PM

Quote:

Well I decided to scrap that project after doing quite a bit of research. Seems like a bit more work than I have the time and possibly ability to put in. Going to work on finding that darned keypad, it's got to be at my parents house somewhere.

As for the Arduino, I've been reading up on some dew controllers made with them and that definitely seems much more on my level. Plus, it's a badly needed accessory for me, this South Carolina humidity is killing my sessions...have to bring out the hairdrier every 10 minutes.

Classic hand controllers pop up from time to time on the used market and David Fansler has a hand controller emulator that would allow you to control the scope with a PC or smartphone instead.

http://www.dv-fansler.com/dvf%20Technologies/lx200_keypad_sim.htm

I hope this helps.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1485

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics