Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Phil Sherman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/10

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Re: Car battery as power source new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5564054 - 12/10/12 12:11 PM

You might be able to rent a small Honda or other similar brand generator that outputs a sine wave and use that to run your scope. If I remember correctly, most of these also have 12V DC outputs. Worst case, you can use the car battery and then you'll have the generator to recharge it. Harbor Freight's 800W generator ($90) is a 2-cycle and requires a gas/oil mix. The more expensive Honda and others are 4-cycle units and use straight gasoline. You'll still need to bring a couple of gallons or so of gas in a can.

Phil

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bassplayer142
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/03/11

Loc: Michigan
      #5564121 - 12/10/12 12:58 PM

Car batteries are designed for short and large surges of electrical current. Period. They do not have sufficient amphour ratings to operate equipment for long. I've known of people who hook up multiple batteries to a car and have an external switch to charge both batteries. I'd guess that would be an option but it is kind of pointless in my opinion.

groz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/07

Loc: Campbell River, BC
Re: Car battery as power source new [Re: bassplayer142]
      #5564434 - 12/10/12 04:18 PM

After you get off the plane, stop at any big box store driving away from the airport, buy a jumper battery, get a cheap one, it'll work for the time you need it.

Use the jumper battery to power your gear all night. The next day, start the car, then hook up the jumper battery as if you are trying to jump start the car. Let it recharge that way. Disconnect it to use it all night again.

On the way back to the airport, stop at a pawn shop, and retrieve a few bucks from it. They will only give you half of what it could be sold for, but it's a quick and easy way to retrieve a little of the price you paid for it.

this is the quick and easy, hassle free no shipping way to accomplish your goals.

Danzup77
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/12/11

Re: Car battery as power source new [Re: groz]
      #5565229 - 12/11/12 12:34 AM

I just use a durecell power pack 600 and Ive purposely run it for 12hrs for 2 consecutive nights and it held up. Been using it over a year now.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Car battery as power source new [Re: Danzup77]
      #5565252 - 12/11/12 12:49 AM

The Duracell 600 has a 28ah AGM battery. Enough for a few nights use without question. I have 2 of them and use them 100+ days/nights a year and they are going on 4 years old now without a problem. When in the field, I charge them with a smart charger that I run from my car's 12v power outlet.

Phil Sherman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/10

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
      #5566486 - 12/11/12 07:36 PM

Another possibility would be to rent a small portable generator and take some fuel with you for it. This will work even if it requires an oil/gas mix which you can prepare before leaving civilization. If you get one that has a 12V output, then you won't care if it doesn't produce a sine wave. If you're in an area with noise restrictions, you could, as a last resort, use the car battery then recharge it using the generator. You can also run the generator and feed its 12V output to the car battery then to your mount. The battery will act as a massive filter and give you clean 12V DC for the mount while the generator actually supplies the current.

Phil

avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/09

Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA
Re: Car battery as power source new [Re: Phil Sherman]
      #5568543 - 12/13/12 12:57 AM

Dom,
What kind of equipment you need to power?
Will you be imaging?
How many nights without access to power?
This would help to determine your power requirements.
Is it possible to rent a Prius or other hybrid or EV vehicle? They have huge batteries built in. I read that someone used his Prius for a while after loosing power after Sandy.
Another idea is: Walmart has very cheap batteries:
- Tractor battery, around 25AH for $25
- Marine battery, ~100AH, ~$70

Alex

FineArt

Reged: 01/26/12

Re: Car battery as power source new [Re: avarakin]
      #5571258 - 12/14/12 06:13 PM

http://www.saferwholesale.com/WG300-Wind-Turbine-Generator-300W-12V-with-Inte...

This is lighter than lugging a second car battery.

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: Car battery as power source new [Re: FineArt]
      #5571317 - 12/14/12 06:44 PM

At 500 bucks it better be .

Dom543

Reged: 10/24/11

Re: Car battery as power source new [Re: starrancher]
      #5578023 - 12/18/12 10:22 PM

Dear All,

Thank you for all the input and ideas. The past week was very busy at work so I didn't have a chance to dream about remote places or check the forum. The next couple of weeks will be more quiet and I can explore the ideas that you gave me on this thread.

I am leaning towards some kind of rechargable duracell pack or jumpstarter pack bought after arrival. Or an inexpensive lead-acid battery.

I will have to power a modified Super Polaris mount with CG-ASGT motors and electronics and will have a Mallincam and a still imaging camera with me. Only one of the cameras will be used at any one time. I also have a 7" LCD monitor and a recording device. No computer. As mentioned earlier, a 17 Ah powerpack lasts through the night but gets pretty much depleted. So that's how much energy I need for each of the 7 nights.

I will post my experiences as a conclusion of this thread after I return. No posting means that my solution was not adequate, I depleted my car battery and am stuck watching stars until the end of the universe...

Not a bad prospect at all!

Cheers!
--Dom

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

Re: Car battery as power source new [Re: FineArt]
      #5578192 - 12/19/12 12:04 AM

Quote:

http://www.saferwholesale.com/WG300-Wind-Turbine-Generator-300W-12V-with-Inte...

Yeah, great! If the wind is howling I'm sure to be out there observing! Doh!

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: Car battery as power source new [Re: M13 Observer]
      #5578256 - 12/19/12 01:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, great! If the wind is howling I'm sure to be out there observing! Doh!

Danzup77
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/12/11

Re: Car battery as power source new [Re: starrancher]
      #5578290 - 12/19/12 01:51 AM

RTLR12 holy cow....thats some usage! Glad to hear it for sure!!

dag55
sage

Reged: 04/13/11

Loc: Hamburg, IL. U.S.
      #5578728 - 12/19/12 10:57 AM

I like the idea of a manual transmision and parked pointed down hill. Also a 12v solar panel charger for marine use works great, they are small enough and you can hook it up to your rental car in the daytime to recharge your car. Also fill your gas tank just before you get to your location and for added insurance take a full 5gal. gas jug along for those times you want to warm up or recharge at night. Also I second the idea of turning your mount off on starting your car. Clear skies and enjoy your trip.
Dane

john smith

Reged: 01/01/07

Re: Car battery as power source new [Re: dag55]
      #5583171 - 12/21/12 08:35 PM

this is what you might need
http://koolatrononline.stores.yahoo.net/koolatron-12v-battery-saver.html
If the link doesn't work, search koolatron web site. I don't know what you are powering but I use one off of my car battery running due heaters. I used the device for about five years with the same battery with no problems. The unit will turn on with engine running voltage,after it turns on, turn off the engine and run your devices.

john smith

Reged: 01/01/07

Re: Car battery as power source new [Re: john smith]
      #5583178 - 12/21/12 08:43 PM

Also one thing to keep in mind is on many cars the power socket is not powered up when the key is off.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2220

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics