Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
John_G
sage

Reged: 01/18/10

Re: Astronomical League observing programs/pins. new [Re: dennyhenke]
      #5553990 - 12/04/12 01:25 PM

I'm working through the Deep Sky Binocular and Carbon Star programs. I'm not a member but I'm enjoying the lists. Only about 9 more wintertime clusters to with the Deep Sky list. I won't be submitting for any pins or certificates.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
Re: Astronomical League observing programs/pins. new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5554615 - 12/04/12 08:42 PM

I enjoy working through the Astronomical League observing clubs a lot. I have completed the Urban, Double Star, Messier, Binocular Messier, Deep Sky Binocular, Lunar, Caldwell (the basic one), and the Herschel 400 lists. I am currently working on the Dark Nebula, Lunar II, Binocular Double Star, and Planetary Nebula lists. Working through these lists has turned me on to many objects that I wouldn't have observed otherwise.

vsteblina
sage

Reged: 11/05/07

Loc: Wenatchee, Washington
Re: Astronomical League observing programs/pins. new [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #5554687 - 12/04/12 09:38 PM

Quote:

P.S. Dr. Aaron Clevenson is the national observing program coordinator and is very helpful with obsering program issues. Vladmir, you should contact him to get your Hershcel issue resolved particulary if you met all the requirements.

Well, we did resolve the issue. We quit the Astronomical League!!

I called the lady and asked what we needed to submit for the H400 certificate. She stated that we were not going to get a certificate. I asked if she wanted to see our observing logs and she said NO and hung up.

It was very strange. Like I said I don't really care about pins and certificates, but the other two guys did. One of them has since died and unfortunately I missed that it was important to him otherwise I would have followed up.

Clubs have some strange people. I have a life outside of astronomy so it was easier to get rid of the irritation than deal with it.

That said, the observing lists are a great way to become a better observer. It is also a fun activity to undertake as a group rather than a solitary observer.

We had a great time doing the H400. It was a pretty special time.

cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Re: Astronomical League observing programs/pins. new [Re: vsteblina]
      #5554778 - 12/04/12 10:33 PM

Vladimir, I understand and am sorry you were treated that way. The club reps are not like that now but that is the past and we move on. Thanks for your honesty and helping me understand your frustration.

Dave74
sage

Reged: 10/23/12

Loc: Gelatinous, MA
Re: Astronomical League observing programs/pins. new [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #5554811 - 12/04/12 11:02 PM

Wow! Sounds like some house cleaning has taken place. How about a posthumous certificate for Vladimir's friend? It was important to him.

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
      #5554913 - 12/05/12 12:25 AM

I was a member until last month when I didn't renew my club membership. I have completed the H400, Messier, Urban, Double Stars, Carbon, Lunar, Planetary Nebula and Binocular Messier. I am also about 1/2 way on the Herschel 400 II list.

Now, I have them done but each time I went to get approved in the club the club member in charge wanted me to scan all of these to him. Nope. I'm not going to scan all those observing pages to him. I thought we could meet at the end of a club meeting and he go through them, take them and then get them back to me etc. Nope so though done I never got my certificate or reward. Does it matter to me? Nope again. I know I did them, I have my logs for them still and in the end, they brought a lot of enjoyment, focus, experience and learning how to observe to me. Actually they got me going to dark sites more and more until I really only do doubles and lunar observing at home.

So I recommend them whether one gets an award or pin or not. In the end, the observer's journey through the objects is what matters. To be honest, my sketches, good and bad are my pins and certificates. Each their own and YMMV.

vsteblina
sage

Reged: 11/05/07

Loc: Wenatchee, Washington
Re: Astronomical League observing programs/pins. new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5555486 - 12/05/12 11:05 AM

JayinUT said "In the end, the observer's journey through the objects is what matters. To be honest, my sketches, good and bad are my pins and certificates. Each their own and YMMV."

My 3x5 card sketches of the Messier objects and the observing log from the Herschel 400 are treasured objects 15 years later.

There are plenty of observing lists out there. The Astronomical League lists are good and relatively handy.

Doing a list will make you a much better observer and gives a purpose and direction to each nights observing.

Old Rookie
sage

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: North Central Ohio
Re: Astronomical League observing programs/pins. new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5555535 - 12/05/12 11:38 AM

Great topic. I started working to complete their lists when I started this hobby nine years ago.

Completed: Messier, Binocular Messier, Deep Sky Binocular, Globular Cluster, H400 and Herschell II.
In Process: Arp, Flat Galaxy, Planetary Nebula and Caldwell.

S.Boerner
sage

Reged: 04/29/10

Loc: Eastern Missouri
      #5555537 - 12/05/12 11:39 AM

While not on the most of the individual requirements page for each program, the main or head Observing Program page at:
http://www.astroleague.org/observing.html does state:

"The programs are designed to be individual effort. Each individual must perform all the requirements of each program themselves and not rely on other people to locate the objects. This technique is called "piggy-backing" and is not acceptable for logging objects for any of the programs. You are allowed to look through another observer’s telescope to see what the object looks like, but you still need to locate and observe the object on your own."

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: Astronomical League observing programs/pins. new [Re: S.Boerner]
      #5555604 - 12/05/12 12:39 PM

I dunno maybe I got lucky

I got my certificate within ,IIRC, 6 weeks, might have been a little longer.

I downloaded all the required forms, read and reread, and then reread multiple times as I progressed.
All the forms were put in a three ring binder, along with telrad finder charts.
When I had completed the 70 I took it all to copy max, made copys, kept the copys and mailed the originals in.

Id like to rejoin , just to complete the messier club, and while the pin isnt the end all to be all of it, its something I can point too as the culmination of the project.
I still have my Nartrek Certificates, with the patches on my wall, no they dont make me a better rocketeer, but they attest to my two year struggle to acheive all the goals.
So I guess , to me, the pin does mean something, a goal to be acheived, and an end to one chapter, and probably the beginning of another.

tecmageModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/13/10

Loc: Glenview, IL
Re: Astronomical League observing programs/pins. new [Re: droid]
      #5556146 - 12/05/12 06:31 PM

I completed Lunar I (#743). I started Lunar II and Solar System Observing.

Jb32828
sage

Reged: 08/01/10

Loc: Orlando, FL USA
Re: Astronomical League observing programs/pins. new [Re: dennyhenke]
      #5556326 - 12/05/12 08:03 PM

Personally, I would like to see more imager friendly programs such as a Messier imaging cert and pin, and perhaps a mlys of distance challenge program as well for scopes under a certain size.

I am considering the galaxy groups challenge, it looks pretty interesting; however for my own edification my priority for imaging is the Messier Catalog.

Edited by Jb32828 (12/05/12 08:05 PM)

Staredge

Reged: 04/05/12

Loc: Germantown, MD
Re: Astronomical League observing programs/pins. new [Re: Jb32828]
      #5556406 - 12/05/12 08:56 PM

I'm working on Lunar I now. Will most likely do Lunar II. Maybe a couple of others. I need to get a membership though. My schedule is so tight right now that I haven't been able to join the local club. Hopefully in the next year or so.

tecmageModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/13/10

Loc: Glenview, IL
Re: Astronomical League observing programs/pins. new [Re: Staredge]
      #5556494 - 12/05/12 09:51 PM

I like the programs. Last winter, I was able to observe and sketch Io transiting Jupiter. The kicker was the Great Red Spot was just red enough so that Io was clearly visible! It was really stunning to see Io clear Jupiter and see its shadow still transiting!!!

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Astronomical League observing programs/pins. new [Re: tecmage]
      #5556661 - 12/05/12 11:25 PM

I've got the Lunar I pin; I've been picking away at Lunar II and need to refocus my attention on it. The Messier list is done, and I just need to organize the sketches and turn in copies. And the I've almost completed the Double Star club.

I need to get remotivated in these matters. The past couple of years have been so focused on the revival of my writing career that I haven't had much time for hobbies. A bit of concentrated observing would be refreshing!

Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Re: Astronomical League observing programs/pins. new [Re: desertstars]
      #5557007 - 12/06/12 07:56 AM

Clubs vary widely in their support of the Astronomical League's award programs. One I know of is a waste of time, the applications just disappear. Another is very aggressive about getting the awards, and has its own awards program and an awards coordinator.

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: Astronomical League observing programs/pins. [Re: Doc Willie]
      #5561343 - 12/08/12 06:59 PM

Quote:

Clubs vary widely in their support of the Astronomical League's award programs. One I know of is a waste of time, the applications just disappear. Another is very aggressive about getting the awards, and has its own awards program and an awards coordinator.

Are you talking about observing clubs or actual astronomy clubs? If are having problems I would contact the observing club coordinator at the League level.

Edited by LivingNDixie (12/08/12 07:06 PM)

josie521
sage

Reged: 09/03/07

Loc: 43.22 n 75.45w
Re: Astronomical League observing programs/pins. new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5574314 - 12/16/12 03:09 PM

Im working on my globular cluster pin.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Astronomical League observing programs/pins. new [Re: josie521]
      #5575873 - 12/17/12 03:11 PM

Sounds like fun--I'm interested. One question about Messier Program, there is a note that states:

Note:

Since the purpose of the Messier Program is to familiarize the observer with the nature and location of the objects in the sky, the use of an automated telescope which finds the objects without effort on the part of the observer is not acceptable. "Automated telescope" also includes the use of digital setting circles where a read-out shows the user directions to follow to find an object. This also includes the unacceptable use of smartphones that use apps to locate objects in the night sky. The use of the setting circles found on the axis of telescope should also be avoided. In short, only finderscopes, Telrads, or Telrad-like devices are acceptable.

Does this mean you cannot use a smartphone as a star map? I wouln't use the Intelliscope functionality on my dob nor would I use the 'compass' feature on SkySafari Pro, but I do use it as a star map to star hop. I *think* that that would be allowed but their rule isn't all that clear.

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
Re: Astronomical League observing programs/pins. new [Re: Starman81]
      #5575886 - 12/17/12 03:23 PM

If you are just using it as a map then it's ok. The point is you are supposed to star hop to the Messier objects. As long as you are star hopping to find the objects it doesn't matter what you use for a map.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2885

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics