Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1
Robert70
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/11/11

Loc: The Garden State: NJ
Is anybody using.. new
      #5559834 - 12/07/12 07:08 PM

A Starlight Instruments Feathertouch Microfocuser for an 8" Meade Schmidt-Cassegrain? I posted this in the Equipment forum as well. Easy to install? My current focuser, OEM, leaves a lot to be desired. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re: Is anybody using.. new [Re: Robert70]
      #5560169 - 12/07/12 11:35 PM

Assuming that you are talking about the SCT version that replaces the stock focus knob, I have one on my Celestron 8".

It is a huge improvement over the stock one (although mine is not an Edge HD and I've heard the stock focusers on those are pretty good). It has both coarse and fine focus and is buttery smooth.

I did the installation about 12 years ago, but I remember that it was very easy to do. I suspect that the Meade would be the same.

It is a nice upgrade.

rfr66

Reged: 12/07/11

Loc: Long Island, NY
Re: Is anybody using.. new [Re: Robert70]
      #5560531 - 12/08/12 08:49 AM

I have the Meade version of the Feather touch micro focuser on my LS8. It was the best thing I ever did. It is buttery smooth and the fine adjustment is the key to dialing in perfect focus. It also lowers the amount of tube shake substantially while focusing since you only need a "feather touch" to adjust it. My focuser needed a modification to fit on my scope since the base of the focuser was too large and was hitting the scope body. The installation is extremely easy. You just remove the three screws from the base then slide the stock focuser off of the shaft and then replace with the new one. Nothing to it. Go for it. It will greatly increase your pleasure under the stars.

Richard

n1wvet

Reged: 04/22/11

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA, Earth
Re: Is anybody using.. [Re: rfr66]
      #5561754 - 12/09/12 12:31 AM

I have a Feather Touch on a Meade LX200 12". I really like it. Very smooth operation and the coarse/fine knobs make it easier to fast focus and then fine tune the image. It was easy to install. The directions are actually more daunting than the actual act of installing it. Three screws, a slight twist and it's installed.

Pages: 1

Extra information
15 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 795

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics