Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1
hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

Reged: 05/02/07

Loc: Hong Kong, US
Hubble UL14 Ultra Light Dob (with DSC and GoTo)
      #5561958 - 12/09/12 07:53 AM Attachment (93 downloads)

Hubble UL14 Premium Ultra Light and Ultra Portable Truss Dobsonian System with Wireless Digital Setting Circle and GOTO option, at a very affordable price: $1895

Please note that this price does not include the wireless DSC or GOTO system.

Hubble UL14 Premium Dobsonian telescope is optimized to offer you high-quality, large-aperture telescopes designed in a very light and compact package for extreme portability. With a Hubble UL14, you are free to travel to your favorite dark-sky sites anywhere across the globe!

-A Premium, Light, Compact and Portable Design: About half the weight of traditional Dobsonian telescopes

-Outstanding Images: Premium quality, diffraction limited (with Strehl 0.95+) Newtonian optical systems will deliver stunning views of the heavens from dark sky sites

-Light, Strong, Compact and Extremely Portable: The Hubble UL14 features a precision-machined all-metal construction. Fully assembled the UL14 weighs at about 48 pounds. It has 8 rigid truss tubes and extremely strong and portable folding ALT bearing structure. It features a real box for safe and convenient mirror protection, storage and transportation

-Exclusive Optical Technology: The UL14 features Hubble lightweight sandwich mirror with an optimized thermal design that cools up to 10 times faster than the regular solid mirrors

-The UL14 has a parabolic primary with a full 14-inch diameter of optical surface, a generous 14.4" overall diameter; not an 14-inch blank with a beveled and much smaller optical surface, which is about 5% more optical surface and light gathering than any other 14" scopes in the market.

-Semi-Enhanced Coating on the Primary Mirror: The most recommended (by professionals) 92% Semi-Enhanced Coating on the primary mirror and 96% Enhanced coating on the secondary mirror.

-Modular and Compact Design: The Hubble UL14 is delivered in several preassembled modules. The entire systems can be assembled easily and quickly, as little as a few minutes.

$947.50 deposit at the order time, rest plus S&H before delivery. The delivery time is about 30-60 days.

Features of the UL14:

Exclusive Sandwich Mirror Technology: The UL14 features Hubble's lightweight sandwich mirror with an optimized thermal design that cools up to 10 times faster than regular solid mirrors. Our sandwich mirror technology is used in research-grade optical applications by NASA, California State Polytechnic University San Luis Obispo, the US Army, as well as in amateur telescopes around the world.

Hubble sandwich mirrors open core and close back design not only allows air to circulate through the mirror, but also provide the maximum structure strength to allow a simpler mirror cell design. Our sandwich mirror will reach thermal equilibrium up to 10 times faster than a traditional solid 14-inch mirror and means the mirror can deliver great views even as the air around the telescope is changing temperature.

Engineered Mirror Support: The UL14 has an extensively modeled and optimized 6-point flotation system that provides more than adequate support for the sandwich mirror. The three-point collimation system is completely independent from the sling lateral support. It will totally eliminate the often-found potato chip astigmatism introduced by sling belt when using the simple 3 pivoted bolts collimation system. In a simple pivoted bolts collimation system, the collimation of the primary mirror may cause the sling belt to pull the mirror axially on the mirror edge, bending the mirror to a potato-chip shape, causing annoying astigmatism.

All Metal Construction: The UL14 mechanical structures have been extensively modeled via 3D CAD and advanced FEA to provide the optimal structure strength and stability. Machined with Computer Numerical Control (CNC) technology and hand fitted to assure proper fit and finish. Completed with deluxe and environmentally friendly black powder coating, it is such a pleasure to look at, not to mention the enjoyment to look through.

Dual-Speed 2-inch Linear Drive Crayford Focuser: The Hubble UL14 comes with a precision dual-speed, 2-inch diameter focuser. It's a beautiful piece of precision machining that enhances the viewing experience as well as the overall impression of a premium quality instrument you'll have with this telescope. This focuser is robust! It is a zero-backlash "Crayford-style" design further enhanced with modern "linear bearings" meaning you get a rock-solid, super smooth focusing experience that can handle the weight of even the heaviest of modern eyepieces. Its tension, the pressure on the drawtube, is preset to a very reasonable level, but adjustable to lock heavy equipment in place if desired. The smaller brass focus control adjusts focus at a rate 10 times finer than the larger focus wheels. This fine adjustment allows for critical focusing during high power visual observing or for imaging applications. The focuser has 50mm of travel distance.

State-of-the-art Wireless Digital Setting Circle option:
Breakthrough Wireless Digital Setting Circle with revolutionary high resolution, lower power consumption ball bearing encoders at an inconceivable special price of $149 when ordered with UL14. Combined with Sky Safari (on Android), it is the most powerful wireless Digital Setting Circle in the world, at inconceivable price. Skysafari (Pro) features 15.3 million stars, 740,000 galaxies, and 550,000 solar system objects - including all the comets and asteroids ever discovered.

State-of-the-art GoTo option:
The professional grade SiTech controller combined with the revolutionary SkySafari will more than double your enjoyment and fun with the Heavens; you simply touch the sky. It is the most powerful GOTO system at an extremely affordable price; there is no comparison, period.

Specifications:

Optical design : Reflector
Optical diameter : 355.6mm
Focal length : 1635mm
Focal ratio : f/4.6
Optics type : Parabolic
Eyepieces: Not included
Optical quality : Diffraction limited++ (Strehl 0.95+ for the Primary, 1/10 lambada or for the secondary mirror)
Finder scope : Not included
Focuser : 2" dual-speed linear bearing Crayford
Secondary mirror obstruction : 70 mm
Secondary mirror obstruction by diameter : 19.7%
Secondary mirror obstruction by area : 3.9%
Mirror coatings/over-coatings : 92% Semi-Enhanced Aluminum coating on the primary and 96% Enhanced coating on the secondary mirror
Materials : Aluminum Alloy (T6063-T6) tube with black stainless steel knob screws, T6061-T6 Main structure, Structure Steel mirror cell
Length of optical tube : 60.0 in.
Weight, optical tube : 40.0 lbs.
Weight, fully assembled : 48.0 lbs.
Additional, optional accessories : 8x50 Finder, Shroud, Wheelbarrow, Vinyl foam Cushioned Grips
Other features : Sling lateral support and deluxe push-pull brass knob collimation screws

Edited by hubble-optics (12/10/12 10:02 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

Re: Hubble UL14 Ultra Light Dob (with DSC and GoTo) new [Re: hubble-optics]
      #5561960 - 12/09/12 07:54 AM Attachment (63 downloads)

Season's Greeting!

Edited by hubble-optics (12/09/12 08:00 AM)

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

#5562216 - 12/09/12 11:06 AM Attachment (58 downloads)

The Hubble SkyHub Bluetooth Digital Setting Circle system with revolutionary, 8192 PPR low power consumption ball bearing encoders.

Edited by hubble-optics (12/09/12 11:07 AM)

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

#5562221 - 12/09/12 11:08 AM Attachment (53 downloads)

Our revolutionary, 8192 PPR low power consumption ball bearing encoder v.s. a traditional encoder. It is 80%
more power efficient and is only 15% size of a traditional encoder.

Edited by hubble-optics (12/09/12 11:11 AM)

cptbobrfh

Reged: 12/09/07

#5577528 - 12/18/12 04:10 PM

Hello-
I have several questions concerning the 14"UL telescope:
1)Will you have a working 14"UL at NEAF 2013?

)Do you have a phone#?
3)Have you attempted to fix any and all the issues concerning this telescope(light baffle above shroud,az friction issues,etc.that others have stated needs to be addressed.
I am very interested in purchasing 14"UL at NEAF 2013.Will I be able to purchase one at NEAF?
Will all options be available for sale as well at NEAF?
Any and all info you can give me greatly appreciated.
Bob H.

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

Re: Hubble UL14 Ultra Light Dob (with DSC and GoTo) new [Re: cptbobrfh]
      #5589691 - 12/26/12 12:54 PM

Hi Bob,

I am sorry for the late response.

1) Yes, we will add a secondary baffle and will add an AZ friction spring.

2) We plan to attend NEAF 2013 at this point. Last year we brought UL16 and UL18, this time might be UL20, UL14 and something else...

3) We are located in Hong Kong, so email will work best for us

Thank you,
Tong

cptbobrfh

#5589966 - 12/26/12 04:44 PM

Hello,Tong-
Thank you for your reply.I am looking forward to NEAF 2013 and visiting your booth.I am very interested in your 14"UL telescope.Wondering if Hubble Optics will have complete 14" scope at NEAF,so that I can purchase and take home the 14"UL at NEAF.
Thank you,
Bob

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

#5590720 - 12/27/12 04:46 AM

Hi Bob,

Yes, we will have complete UL14 and UL20 for the show. You may want to pay the depsoit ahead, otherwise it might be taken by others. I am looking forward to meeting you at NEAF 2013.

Thank you,
Tong

cptbobrfh

#5590912 - 12/27/12 10:04 AM

Hello,Tong-
Thanks again.I think I will pay the deposit ahead of time.I do not have a Pay Pal account,so can I pay for deposit with Visa credit card? It is winter here in upstate New York ,so I do not plan on nightime observing until March or April,so,I would prefer to make deposit payment by Visa now,have you bring 14"UL to NEAF for pickup,I pay balance at NEAF,and take home complete scope and options there.Is this OK? Please advise me on how to get this process going.My e-mail is solarscoperob@yahoo.com if you want me to use this for purchase,or whatever is best way to start.
Thank you,
Bob

cptbobrfh

#5591282 - 12/27/12 02:38 PM

Hello again,Tong-
Can I pay deposit with personal check?I would prefer to pay by personal check.Let me know how I can do this,please,with whom to make check out to,address,etc.
If I pick up scope(with shroud) at NEAF,will I be able to avoid the shipping cost of ~$250?
Bob

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

#5593315 - 12/28/12 08:46 PM

Bob,

I have just sent you email.

Thank you,
Tong

cptbobrfh

#5601686 - 01/02/13 06:07 PM

Hello,Tong-
I have 2 questions,please:
1)Is the 14"UL secondary mirror factory set to be accurately aligned over the focuser,or is that something that the customer has to check/align.I know the customer has to glue the secondary to the stalk,but does the customer have to rotate/adjust secondary over focuser,or what?It would be nice if stalk/secondary is factory checked/aligned for customer.
2)Is primary center marked,or does customer have to center mark primary?Also would be nice if factory marked.
Thank you,
Bob

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

#5609223 - 01/06/13 09:00 PM

Hi Bob,

I am sorry for the late response, we don't follow this forum all the time.

1) The customer has to check and adjust for the secondary alignment.

2) The primary mirror will be factory center marked.

Thanks,
Tong

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2149

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics