Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1
IVM
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/07/08

Loc: Western New York
NGC 4214 new
      #5560638 - 12/08/12 10:33 AM Attachment (42 downloads)

Another interesting object I reobserved earlier this year with a larger aperture (with my 16" from Cherry Springs). I am a "big fan" of the Large Magellanic Cloud and enjoy viewing similar galaxies at any distances. This one is a fantastic example structurally and is in relative terms just beyond our local group. There is also what seems to be an unresolved controversy over not the NGC designation in the title of this post, but what other, if any, NGC objects it is identical with.

My journal records (HT is O'Meara's Hidden Treasures list that I like):

May 18. HT 59. NGC 4214=4228. Along the way from Beta CVn, Caldwell 26 (NGC 4244) is stunning, big, grainy. HT 59 = NGC 4214 = 4228: core elongated strongly NW-SE. SW edge curved in, sharp. Appearance caused by two knots SW of each end of the bar. The knots as such are invisible at 225x. Did not go higher. Material fans E.

The sketch from the journal is below. The "fan", this visually almost shocking feature, has a counterpart on DSS. However, it is not connected to the two stubby arms curving from the ends of the bar. These arms remained invisible to me; perhaps a higher magnification would bring them out. The broad fan E of the bar, whose brightest edge is the N one, may be regarded as a certain broad third arm, because the direction of the N edge is the same as of the clearly separated arm further N.

Some further notes I made later:

This is an SABm 11 Mly distant, similar in size (30 kly) to the LMC. I.95, Herschel 400; previously observed June 7, 2010 with the Comet Halley Renaissance, along with the nearby NGC 4244, Herschelís V.41. The cross-identification of this galaxy as NGC 4228 is repeated throughout OíMearaís Hidden Treasures book. There he quotes from Larry Mitchell regarding the doubtful identity of William and John Herschelís discoveries; the passage is unclear. There is no cross-identification in OíMearaís Herschel 400 Guide. SEDS, however, identifies the Herschel 400 object NGC 4214 (I.95) not with 4228 (a non-W. Herschel object) but with 4208, William Herschelís II.107, which is otherwise said to be ďnot documentedĒ. HCNGC gives 4228 as John Herschelís, at the same position as his fatherís 4214 but with non-identical dimensions and visual magnitude. NGC 4208 (II.107) according to HCNGC is an entirely different object. Steinicke identifies William Herschelís NGC 4214 with John Herschelís 4228, and 4208 (I.107) with 4212 (I.108), discovered by William on the same night.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Feidb
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: NGC 4214 new [Re: IVM]
      #5560762 - 12/08/12 11:47 AM

I caught it in March of 2006 with my home-built 16-inch f/6.4 at 70X. I described it as a medium-bright oval, but more round than oval. I didn't give any other details.

I caught it at Redstone Picnic Area on the north shore of Lake Mead, Nevada. The 1/4 moon was very bright and there were high clouds moving through that may have played a factor. I think I saw it through a hole in the clouds and time, they may have been a factor in the short description. Then again, I might have just been lazy too, or simply didn't catch any other details. I didn't try any other magnifications.

BillFerris
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/17/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: NGC 4214 new [Re: IVM]
      #5561549 - 12/08/12 09:38 PM

NGC 4214 was a fine object in my old 10 inch Newt. The irregular core region was readily apparent and embedded within a diffuse, mottled circular glow. Link

Bill in Flag

IVM
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/07/08

Loc: Western New York
Re: NGC 4214 [Re: BillFerris]
      #5562227 - 12/09/12 11:17 AM

Interesting to compare the notes and sketches. This galaxy for me is a certain candidate for further study at higher magnifications.

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 512

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics