Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
prestonrich
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/01/07

Loc: Washington DC Mayland suburbs
Maxbrights or cheaper Chinese?
      #5562736 - 12/09/12 04:26 PM

Other than the eyepiece collimation feature (which for me is important) would the Baader Maxbrights have any real advantages over the cheaper Chinese versions, i.e. Celestron, WO? I usually binoview w/Plossls.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
Re: Maxbrights or cheaper Chinese? new [Re: prestonrich]
      #5562780 - 12/09/12 04:56 PM

The T-2 system and GPC's are the real strengths for using Maxbrights.
Short light path diagonals, almost unlimited adapters and a way to go from native fl to 2.6X (or more) fl, with the shortest light path in the industry. Hard to beat that versatility !
Rex

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#5562793 - 12/09/12 05:03 PM

There may be some important advantages but it depends on the individual and the scope.

First, the quality of the Maxbrights is excellent. I had a pair of Denk Standards, and to me, the Maxbrights were at least as good, and maybe even a bit better. Frankly, I have a pair of Mark Vs now and from an absolute performance standpoint, they seem very close to me.

Not that the less expensive ones may not be as good, but I think the Baaders are what they say that they are, which is an excellent quality binoviewer.

But here is what makes the Baader a bit more expensive but a whole lot better than many of the low cost binos.

The Baader system allows for the shortest possible light path of any binoviewer on the market when used with the Baader T2 Prism diagonal.

Now this might not matter for some scopes, but with SCTs and refractors, keeping the light path as short as possible is indeed very important.

And for refractors, it is perhaps the most important thing you can look for. The shorter the light path, the more likely that a refractor will reach focus with a binoveiwer.

The entire Maxbright/T2 Standard Prism only requires about 160mm of back focus. Some refractors have this, though most don't.

But if it won't reach focus with the Maxbright, it won't reach focus with anything else on the market.

And this is where the Maxbright shines. For most other binos, if you can't reach focus, you will need to use a Barlow, and this will usually add much more than 2x magnification. This is because the magnification of a barlow depends on how far ahead of the focal plane it is placed, and for most binos, this means that it will be at least 140mm or perhaps more in front of the focal plane. This can cause a barlow to work a 3x meaning that you are basically locked into high powers.

But the Maxbright can be ordered with different power Glass Path Adapters, and this allows you to ensure that you can get the lowest power possible out of your telescope.

For example, my 6" refractor could not reach focus even with the Maxbright T2, but with the 1.3x GPC placed in front of the diagonal, (working at about 1.44x) the unit did reach focus. This is a lot better than using a 2X Barlow.

And this is one of the great strengths of the Baader system. The Maxbright with T2 diagonal gives the best chance possible of reaching focus, but if you can't, it will give you the lowest power chance that you are going to get form a standard binoviewer.

For SCTs or MCTs, it is unlikley that you will ever find a situation where you can't reach focus, but the short light path of the Baader/T2 means that you will still have the shorest possible focal length, and once again, this means the lowest possible power.

If you don't intend to use the Baader System (the T2 standard prism) and instead plan on just using it in a regular diagonal, the advantage may not be as great, but just based on quality, I think that the Baaders are clearly in the high end arena. I have been using the Maxbrights for planetary observing for a while now, and they have been truely excellent.

I have become a Maxbright champion, but much of that is based on my perception Baader has a great system that may cost a little more, but delivers superb performance and has a huge variety of potential configurations.

I sold my Maxbrights, but only to move to a Mark V, and it was the Baader system approach that got me there.

My prediction.... Everyone will eventually start to realize that Baader got it right, and will either start offering a Baader Prism Diagonal clone, or an adapter so that their binos will work with the Baader Prism.

prestonrich
professor emeritus

Re: Maxbrights or cheaper Chinese? new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5564330 - 12/10/12 03:02 PM

Thanks, Eddgie, very helpful comments. I'm wondering if you would know...or suspect whether the Maxbrights would work w/the Lunt solar LS60T/PT/B1200 using any of their GPCs? A Baader "rep" suggested that even the 2.6 GPC may not allow sufficient infocus w/that equip, but I'm not sure how much expertise she had. I think there are Lunt users on the board here successfully using the Maxbrights, but I haven't had any feedback from my Solar forum posts.

Since I have always had issues w/merging bino images, I think that would be the strong suit of the Maxbrights for me--they allow EP adjustments.

dcoyle
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/05

Loc: Turbulent but dark skies, N.M.
      #5564405 - 12/10/12 03:52 PM

I just bought and returned a pair of Celestron Binoviewers. They advertised 22mm CA, but they shipped with a 17mm, or so, internal apature stop.

Dan

Eddgie
Postmaster

#5564480 - 12/10/12 04:45 PM

I think someone here has used binoviewers on a Lunt scope, or at least I remember somone asking for how they could attach their binoviers to a Lunt scope..

My recommendation is simple.. Just start a new thread and ask that specific question "Will Maxbright/T2 reach focus in a Lunt scope?"

My guess is that given a week for everyone to see it (the binoviewer forums moves slower than most other forums) you will get your answer.

Regards,
Ed

prestonrich
professor emeritus

Re: Maxbrights or cheaper Chinese? new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5564496 - 12/10/12 04:52 PM

Did that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Itz marcus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Brooklyn NY
      #5570870 - 12/14/12 01:32 PM

What about optical quality is it significantly better than the chinese clones or is it in the mechanics and options that it is better?

Eddgie
Postmaster

Re: Maxbrights or cheaper Chinese? new [Re: Itz marcus]
      #5570882 - 12/14/12 01:46 PM

I can't answer if the optics are "significantly" better, but Baader products in general tend to be uniformly good in quality. It appears to me to be a company that cares about quality.

And I can say this. I have owned three binos in the last year.. The Denk Standards, the Maxbrights, and now the Mark Vs. I would say that the views in all of them have been quite excellent. If there was any variation in quality, it was not easy to see.

So, among these units, I would say there was no significant difference in the view, which would seem to say that the Maxbrights are built to quality levels similar to these others.

I have not used any of the inexpensive units, but reports tend to usually be quite positive. I would doubt that there would be a significantly better view in the Maxbrights, but that is a very subjective term (Significant, I mean).

Edited by Eddgie (12/14/12 01:48 PM)

denis0007dl
sage

Reged: 04/17/12

Loc: Croatia
Re: Maxbrights or cheaper Chinese? new [Re: Itz marcus]
      #5570893 - 12/14/12 01:55 PM

Quote:

What about optical quality is it significantly better than the chinese clones or is it in the mechanics and options that it is better?

I had once oportunity and see, test and open at once maxbrights, TS binos and WO binos, and all what I can tell is: all of them have 100% same prisms (24,5mm), all are 100% indenticall optically, and WO looks nicer to me, Maxbrights has best collimation screws system, but eyepieces holders are best on TS (Celestron or Orion) binos

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1855_TS-Binoviewer...

and they are deffinetly BEST value for money!

WO needs less back focus than others, and Maxbrights has more adapters to use!

If I need to chose one of them, it would be TS (Celestron or Orion binos), but now I had Mark V which is optically and mechanically better than any of above!

Regards!

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 942

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics