Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
James Ling
sage

Reged: 09/18/10

Loc: Singapore
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: stevew]
      #5561097 - 12/08/12 03:46 PM Attachment (178 downloads)

Quote:

Beautiful scope James.
How about a couple of comments on it's performance.
We all want to know how did Jupiter look?
Are you impressed with the images?

Steve

Hi Steve...

Thanks for your comment...

Hi Steve and All....

As I only use this new scope twice, since I receive it....
This is my little comments on its performance....

1. On the 1st night after I assembled the scope at home, and use it , I only seen M45 and Jupiter, around 3am....
Using the baader zoom ep at 24mm, at 50X, the M45 star field is so much different from what I have seen with any other scopes... the contrast and sharpness of the stars, are so well defined, and that I really want to put this scope for coming February 2013 oversea star gazing activities...
When around 3.30am, Jupiter is visible through my window, I tested it with both the baader zoom ep at 8mm or 150X, and my 4mm ep at 300X, both can distinguish GRS clearly.
I tried higher magnification, and the image start breaking down....

2. On last night side walk, the 152 APM ED APO only shows Jupiter, for nearly 4 hours of non stop queuing....
During the 1st 2 hours, when Jupiter is lower than 45 deg, I only able to use 150X power , to get a sharp image ....
But once Jupiter is high up above 60 deg, I add another 2X barlow to the baader zoom, and increase it to around 250X..., and still get a sharp and crisp image of jupiter...
and its 4 moons are disc like object....

When come to 11pm, when Jupiter is near to overhead, and this is the time whereby the crowds are left with a few , we can really seriously look at Jupiter, and the comment from everyone of us, is indeed FANTASTIC VIEW WE HAVE SEEN HERE SINCE OUR SIDE WALK....
Is almost like total absence of CA, as the edges of jupiter is very crisp....
The view is so sharp , that we put up the bino viewer, and really as what I have read in CN, Jupiter seems become 3D...
As clouds roll in around midnight, as such we did not continue to test it with higher power, and the max power we achieved tonight with such a high contrast is 250X ....

Regards

James Ling

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: James Ling]
      #5561106 - 12/08/12 03:52 PM

Quote:

Is almost like total absence of CA, as the edges of jupiter is very crisp....
The view is so sharp , that we put up the bino viewer, and really as what I have read in CN, Jupiter seems become 3D...
As clouds roll in around midnight, as such we did not continue to test it with higher power, and the max power we achieved tonight with such a high contrast is 250X ....

Regards

James Ling

Excellent report James!
Just what we all wanted to hear.
Congratulations on your fine Apochromat.

Steve

Mr Onions
Two Time International Photographical Competition Winner

Reged: 04/14/07

Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne.
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: stevew]
      #5561167 - 12/08/12 04:37 PM

You're responding to people's comments with great answers and detail.
Everyone is very much appreciating your time answering them.
Top Man!

I wish I was built like Hulk Hogan so I could use one of these scopes.

BRCoz
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/21/05

Loc: Moreno Valley, CA
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: Mr Onions]
      #5561261 - 12/08/12 05:49 PM

Very nice scope. How long is the scope case? The case for my APM 130/1200 just fits in the back seat.

Traveler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/19/07

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: Mr Onions]
      #5561266 - 12/08/12 05:51 PM

Quote:

Top Man!

+1

Sunspot
Postmaster

Reged: 03/15/05

Loc: Surprise, AZ
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: Traveler]
      #5561287 - 12/08/12 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Top Man!

+1

+2

GHarris

Reged: 06/06/09

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5561320 - 12/08/12 06:38 PM

The telescope maker is answering some of the questions posed here, over in the Vendors forum. He isn't allowed to post in the Refractors section since he is the seller.

(I presume I'm not doing anything wrong by pointing this out!)

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: GHarris]
      #5561515 - 12/08/12 09:11 PM

James, does the binoviewer come to focus without an OCA? i assume it does if you remove the extension tube?

James Ling
sage

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: BRCoz]
      #5561809 - 12/09/12 01:52 AM

Quote:

Very nice scope. How long is the scope case? The case for my APM 130/1200 just fits in the back seat.

Hi Bro...

Sorry for the late reply, as I slept at 4am, after my last forum reply (I am 12 to 13 hrs ahead of USA timing)

The length of the case is 115cm or 45 inches..

Since both our scopes are 1200mm focal length, your case could be either the same , or slightly longer...

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5561818 - 12/09/12 02:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Top Man!

+1

+2

Hi All....

Really thank you so much for all your comments, and this will greatly motivate me to evaluate further on this new 152 APM ED APO performance, before anyone receiving their production unit which will be in early March...

The next scope to scope comparison will be ...

Against my friend, Richard's APM 152 triplet APO, which I have personally seen Jupiter through his scope , 2 years ago....

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5561827 - 12/09/12 02:21 AM Attachment (129 downloads)

Quote:

James, does the binoviewer come to focus without an OCA? i assume it does if you remove the extension tube?

Hi Bro...

If you are in Singapore, you shouldn't miss yesterday side walk session, as there are so many of our Singastro forum members present, to show both their support for this planned event.....

I am very sorry on the WO bino viewer that Gary last night is so eager to test it on this new 152 APM ED APO..., as I cannot recall we remove the extension tube or not , when observing it with or without the 2X barlow...

he uses the WO bino viewer 1,6X barlow, then change to celestron ultima 2X barlow, to get a much bigger image....

Not sure this close up photo I took last night can figure out , which is which....

Regards

James Ling

Radim
sage

Reged: 11/06/05

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: James Ling]
      #5561899 - 12/09/12 05:47 AM

Would be very interesting to compare this new kid to LZOS triplet 6inch ... visually ... not so many LZOS reviews out there ....

Radim

F60.4

Reged: 10/26/11

Loc: Norfolk England
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: Radim]
      #5561938 - 12/09/12 07:17 AM

Great thread and thanks to the OP for this.

Yes as Radim says, I'd love to hear how it compares to the LZOS triplet.

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: F60.4]
      #5561984 - 12/09/12 08:25 AM

James, am overseas. Got the invite from Gary but you know how it is...

According to Markus in the other thread, you can use the BV without an OCA with the extension removed.

Richard Low
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/27/05

Loc: 1 deg N, GMT+8hrs
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5562041 - 12/09/12 09:15 AM

James, my APM/LZOS 152 Triplet was packed and ready to go....but I was stuck in a bad traffic jam driving back to Singapore, so I'm disappointed that I didnt get to see your new APM152ED, and to compare with mine. I hope you can bring it down one of these nights and I will be happy to bring mine over, since I'm only 5 mins drive away

RGM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/03

Loc: Burks Falls, Ontario, Canada
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: Richard Low]
      #5563064 - 12/09/12 07:59 PM

James, a little off topic - are you still using your Istar 204 f9 or has this replaced it? Can you comment on the views through the 152 compared to the 204.

Great looking scope.

junomike
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Ontario
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: RGM]
      #5563091 - 12/09/12 08:30 PM

James, I'm interested in more clarification to this statement:

Quote:

Is almost like total absence of CA, as the edges of jupiter is very crisp...

So was there CA on the perimeter of Jupiter? If so, how much?

Just curious as I thought Markus reported zero in focus CA.

Mike

James Ling
sage

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: RGM]
      #5563466 - 12/10/12 01:44 AM

Quote:

James, a little off topic - are you still using your Istar 204 f9 or has this replaced it? Can you comment on the views through the 152 compared to the 204.

Great looking scope.

Hi Bob....

Sorry for the late reply, as I am now working oversea, and now is lunch break....Thanks for your comment on the new 152 APE ED APO.....

As for your question on the Istar, I think many other CN members, especially those who are like me, as members of ISTARSCOPECLUB, very much like to know how is this ED APO compared to the 8" Istar achro...

Yes. I am still holding on to the 8" ISTAR F9 achro, and it is supposed to be the main star for the night, but since the new 152 ED APO arrives earlier, I think is better to show to those who heard about the scope and wants to see it in public in Singapore....,as well as those who are outside Singapore....

Hi Bob and All....

The following is my comments for the two scopes I owned, the 8" ISTAR F9 and 152 APM ED APO.................

One month ago, at the very same place, the Istar is put up for the Jupiter and M42 night observing, and the full report is in CN outreach section....

The detail of last weekend report will continue in this outreach section, when I have time this evening , after my working hours...

Last weekend , is a pity that M42 is not in such a good situation to get the 152 ED APO to show the trapezium stars in M42,due to heavy clouds over that sector.
And we are interested in picking up star E and F, which the Istar easily picks up both mag 10+ in such a heavily light polluted city... And the best is the Istar does not even have the extended dew shield, while for the 152 APM ED APO, I am extending it out to beat the glaring lights form the nearby lamp posts...

Last weekend, another different situation also arises, GRS is not seen until early morning, so unlike last month the Istar easily picks up the GRS , so easily...., during last month side walk...at around 1.30am.

But last Thursday after midnight, around 3.30am, in my home , from the window, the 152 APM ED APO picks it up easily....during my indoor 1st light test of this new scope after I assembled it...

Since I have already seen through the 8" Istar for 2 years, and now with the 152 APM ED APO, for two occasions, I will give my personal opinion, on these two scopes, which are not being placed side by side, for their performance....

1. CA
The Istar has CA, which is tolerable to some of us, but not to those who are really looking for the perfect scope with zero CA, but for the 152 APM ED APO, it is color free, to most of us, when it is in focus, which I am referring to Jupiter, not the moon or Venus, as i have not tested it yet...
( I will explain on my next CN reply , later )

2. Magnification
The magnification that I can pushed for the Istar has reached 450X , with my 4mm ep, although the image has broken down slightly..., but is still acceptable....
If I will to lower it down to almost 300X, the image is razor sharp and contrast is good....
But for the 152 APM ED APO, at this moment I could not pushed it over 300X and still get a good and razor sharp image.....My best magnification is 300X for both occasions I tested it....
One good comment from one of our snr forum member, is that the APM ED APO , is easily snap on, in focus , when we tested it our on last Saturday.....

3. DSO....
The reason why I brought the Istar to oversea star gazing is simply I wanted to test its wide field on DSO, whereas my C14 at F11, is not suitable for wide field..
There are numerous report from me with regards to the Istar at oversea stargazing trip, in both CN outreach and Istarscopeclub forum.. , which you refer to...
As for the 152 APM ED APO, I only tested it on M45, that night, around 3am, with my baader zoom at 24mm, or 50X, and the view really surprised me that my light polluted area, can see such a good and nice view of this star cluster...You will not believe it , with your own eyes, is not 20 stars, in the field shining , but much more, which should have counted it....
The istar has seen this but in a different location...( overesa star gazing )

And lastly, I do not want to do the scope to scope comparison at this moment, until ISTAR release their raycorr , which I think is a more interesting comparison, as we can subtract away the CA, and see how well the scope performs against the 6" ED APO....

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 [Re: junomike]
      #5563589 - 12/10/12 06:05 AM

Quote:

James, I'm interested in more clarification to this statement:

Quote:

So was there CA on the perimeter of Jupiter? If so, how much?

Just curious as I thought Markus reported zero in focus CA.

Mike

Hi Mike....

under the vendor and group announcement column, Markus reported under this thread, New 6"F/8 APM ED arrived today, the following, which I have not checked upon....

chromaticle aberration: coming from infocuse to focuse, you see the typical deep blue fringe, which gets fully absent in-focuse. The highest power for this test was a Ethos 3.7 mm = 325 power, twice the aperature, normaly called maximum usefull power. Vega is infocuse colorfree

As for my comments on the following with regards to the new scope that I have received...

This is the actual finding................

1. During our last Saturday night when using the new 152 APM ED APO , at Jupiter, initially as Jupiter is quite low, from 8pm till 10pm, I only use the baader zoom ep at 8mm, which is only 150X....
I even tried the 4mm TMB planetary ep,at 300X, the image starts to breakdown slightly, so I use back my baader zoom ep at 8mm or 150X...
As others just enjoyed looking through the APM ED APO, my friend, after taking closer look, point to me about something he saw form the both edges of Jupiter...
When I took a look at the scope, what I have seen, concur to what my friend has told me, is that on one side of the edge of jupiter , there is a very thin , sort of color in red...., and on the opposite end, there is a very thin, sort of color in green....
My friend told me it could be due to the atmosphere or eye piece...
I immediately took out my Tv 9mm nagler, and still we saw the very slight color of red and green on opposite side of Jupiter...So I guess could be from the atmosphere....

When after 10pm, as Jupiter is rising very high up, I insert my celestron utlima 2X barlow, and together with the baader zoom, I crank up the power to 250X, and the image we have seen is still very crisp and sharp, no breakdown of image at all....
I have to admit I don't realize whether there is still the color at the edges opposite each other...., as i am trying many times, to compare the image contrast of the 152 APM ED APO against the ES127 triplet APO....

By the time around 11pm , knowing that the best moments has come, we insert the WO bino-viewer....and we also try to barlow it.... And the stero effect of viewing at Jupiter also make me forgotten about the color issue....

Perhaps I should seriously check the CA issue on this coming weekend, when i am back from oversea, whereby I can do the scope to scope comparison with Richard's 152 APM Triplet APO....., and do another update again....

Regards

James Ling

mblack
Throw me a bone here

Reged: 10/31/05

Loc: Florida, USA.
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 [Re: James Ling]
      #5587131 - 12/24/12 12:17 PM

James,

Thanks for reporting in such detail on this scope. I've pre-ordered through the US vendor and thanks to your posts I've a good idea of what to expect.

Quote:

When I took a look at the scope, what I have seen, concur to what my friend has told me, is that on one side of the edge of jupiter , there is a very thin , sort of color in red...., and on the opposite end, there is a very thin, sort of color in green....
My friend told me it could be due to the atmosphere or eye piece...

Yes, that's an atmospheric effect, not the scope or eyepiece.

Please share any further comments/observations you care to on this scope James, it has been great reading so far :>

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
27 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22932

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics