Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
epee
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/30/06

Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh
Re: Celestron C5+ owners- your experiences new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5557068 - 12/06/12 08:41 AM

I've compared my C-5 side by side with my XT12i. Looking at Saturn the XT12i was like HD TV over non-HD; better but not SO much better that I felt cheated not having it. Naturally the XT12i showed dimmer moons and background stars than the C-5 but the rings and cloud bands themselves had the same "whirled & grooved" appearance in both scopes; only ever so slightly sharper in the XT12i.

What really make the C-5 great is it's almost unique combination of capability and portability. Mine is a regular passenger when I take my Cub Scout son camping and believe me; if there was anything lacking in the view of Saturn don't tell the hundred-odd Cub Scouts and their sisters who were jumping up and down for "another look" (so were some of the parents).

I've bought one of the Stanley "Fat Max" tool boxes. It offers some degree of water resistance and is sturdy enough to double as an observing seat or step. In it I can pack everything save the tripod; the C-5, two diagonals (right angle & corrected view), a solar filter, a full selection of color and ND 1.25" filters, extra batteries, red light, AC & DC power jacks, a simple red-dot finder (bright enough for daylight use), along with 10+ eyepieces and barlows. Each accessory is packed in its own plastic case (tackle boxes, closet organizers, pencil boxes, etc.) so I can safely have out what I'll be using and free the Fat Max up for "ergonomic" purposes. I call it my observatory in a box.

It is a SUPER little scope and, even though my XT12i is my quick roll-out at home, I would never willingly part with my C-5.

Edited by epee (12/06/12 08:49 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Celestron C5+ owners- your experiences new [Re: epee]
      #5557134 - 12/06/12 09:31 AM

Well, I had both a C5 and a 127 MCT at one time, but sold the 127 MCT (I just liked the wider field of the C5) but then sold the C5 too.

But I came to regret it. As I mentioned earlier, I rarely used to use the C5, but after a bunch of big, heavy 4" APOs that took more mount and didn't provide as bright a view, I started missing the C5 so I bought another one and every time I think of selling it, I remind myself that there really isn't any competition in the small scope market that would give me the same bright views of the C5.

Even the sub-4" scopes to me are not easier to set up because below a certian size, the mount starts to be more effort than the scope, and that is the case with the C5 vs 80mm refractors.

And this has been my message for a decade now.. Where refractors really excel is their ability to do a wide field. At the center of the field, it is all to easy to get better performance simply by using a slighly larger reflector.

And back to the OPs question, I find that just about any target that will fit into the field of the C5 will be a bit brighter and more detailed than the 4" refractors I owned. Some of the 80mm refractors seemed to struggle even to show the four stars of the Trapezium with enough brilliance to make them special.

But for the C5, all of these targets are more satisfying if it fits into the field.

And the performance on planets and the moon is not so different as the "Big Central Obstruction is bad" crowd would have us to believe. Yes there is a penalty, but it is a subtle one. Overall, the differnce between planetary and lunar views in the C5 is not the same, but similar enough that I find it to be fine for quick looks. For the most serious planetary observing though, I would not use even the best 4" APO. I tried it and just could not see enough to make it worth my time and the same is true with the C5.

But if you want a quick look, or something you can take out birding or camping, the C5 is better on most things, and almost just as good on a few things.

And since I have been binoviewing the C5, it has made me want to use the scope again.

Night before last, I had the C5 out and with binos and a pair of 24mm Eyepieces, I was shocked at how superb the Orion Nebula appeared. It was reallyIt stunning. It was large and bright and showed a lot of structure and extension.

Making me look at the C5 in a whole new light. Far more fun to use with binos than with mono, and because it really is a scope that is optimized for 1.25" use, you don't feel like you are giving up any true field. If you were going to use them with a 24mm Panoptic or something anyway, then you are getting close to the same size field with the Binos as you would in mono.

And this lets me get a wider true field in the C5 than I can get in my 6" APO because with that scope, I need to use a glass path corrector which makes the focal lenght 1800mm. Hmmmm.

Anyway, I do love my C5 and perhaps now that I am binoviewing more, it will get used more.

highfnum
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/06

Loc: NE USA
      #5557477 - 12/06/12 12:44 PM

i got c5 - great performer

see pic

http://www.cloudynights.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=24656

Edited by highfnum (12/06/12 12:46 PM)

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/09/09

Loc: Oregon USA
      #5557565 - 12/06/12 01:35 PM

I'm glad the pic was helpful regarding the Voyager mt./C-5 set-up, Eddgie.

I really like the views the C-5 provides and the portability is terrific, much more than my other refractors (the only other 5" ota I have which is ok on the Voyager is my ST120 and I use that one especially for white light solar with a Baader film filter, and super wide-field viewing, but I prefer the C-5 for planets/moon). I love being able to just grab the C-5 setup and head out the door for a spontaneous session with the little cat. Mine came with the top adapter plate for adding a camera, etc. I just pick it up with that as an ota handle. I still have the original eq. mt. with wedge but the Voyager is just so much handier and I star-hop most of the time anyway.

The C-5 works well with the Voyager mt. with extension post. I like to use vibration pads with the original tripod. With the addition of a binoviewer it offers even more head/eyepiece access space for zenith viewing. I just have the WO binos now (wanted to try out binoviewing first to be sure I was able to merge the view, liked it, etc.) but have found for me they are really the best improvement for the views of moon/planets with many of my scopes. I see details much better and the image seems larger and easier to study -- more comfortable viewing certainly. I wish I'd tried them sooner! For my eyesight the binos are better help in seeing details than loads of other mono-vision eyepieces...but those come in handy with other scope combinations.

Glad to see so many enjoying their C-5's! It's great to just get out and view! I just need less rain.
---Maya

Jae
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/13/06

Loc: New England
Re: Celestron C5+ owners- your experiences new [Re: highfnum]
      #5557573 - 12/06/12 01:43 PM

Are there any innovative modifications to stablize the single arm fork of the C5+ beyond vibration dampeners on the tripod feet ?

I wondered if a tension cable/chain, or threaded compression rod attached to the fork and the base with rubber bumpers, might help.

The stock base is such a nice setup with a battery tracking base, that it's too bad that at least on mine, there is a fair amount of vibration.

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/09/09

Loc: Oregon USA
Re: Celestron C5+ owners- your experiences new [Re: Jae]
      #5557583 - 12/06/12 01:48 PM

I noticed vibration with my stock eq. mt. and wedge also but what I did was use a JMI motofocus on the DEC to handle the vibration...at least I think that was how I had it -- that mt. is packed away now so I can't check it. It was what I set up my 10" LX5 with though.
---Maya

prestonrich
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/01/07

Loc: Washington DC Mayland suburbs
Re: Celestron C5+ owners- your experiences new [Re: Crow Haven]
      #5559426 - 12/07/12 02:42 PM

As you can see in my sig I have a bit of decent astro equipment, but the scope I use most is my C5 w/2"VB and the 6.3FR and the BIPH--a phenominal combo! It's portability is superb. Even with its relatively small rear baffle I really don't mind the vignetting w/the ultra wide 2" EPs--otherwide it's used w/my Brandons and binoviewers. The Brandons are tiny and great for binoviewing and travel. For me it's the best of all worlds. Daytime viewing finds me w/my Lunt DS60/60PT.

I use both on a Manfrotto 475 tripod w/half-hitch head. The C5/BIPH, Lunt 60DS and my Canon 15x50IS are my most used. The Miya Saturn III is mounted in a window. All are great for travel and rousing-up wonder in the grandkids.

mike bacanin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/19/07

Re: Celestron C5+ owners- your experiences new [Re: prestonrich]
      #5559572 - 12/07/12 04:29 PM

regarding using binoviewers. is anyone using binos with the original c5+ single arm fork?
any balance issues?
if you had a choice of either a 8mm vixen lvw in mono or wo binos with 13mm tv smoothie plossls,
which would you go with?

thanks
mike

charles genovese
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/04/06

Loc: Madisonville Louisiana
Re: Celestron C5+ owners- your experiences new [Re: mike bacanin]
      #5559910 - 12/07/12 08:18 PM Attachment (57 downloads)

C5 is much better than you might think for imaging deep sky. Did a few play shots off my balcony with a Meade f3.3 reducer and Meade DSI Pro 2. 15 second shots X10

charles genovese
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/04/06

Loc: Madisonville Louisiana
Re: Celestron C5+ owners- your experiences new [Re: charles genovese]
      #5559914 - 12/07/12 08:21 PM Attachment (44 downloads)

another with RGB- way too much green but it was my first try with the Meade software.

highfnum
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/06

Loc: NE USA
Re: Celestron C5+ owners- your experiences new [Re: charles genovese]
      #5560222 - 12/08/12 12:19 AM

i like core of galaxy shot

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5562730 - 12/09/12 04:25 PM

I agree with everything Eddgie mentions tho my Celestron is a 6" and it still hasn't seen Jupiter yet - BUT - festoons vary in intensity and I wouldn't rule them out in a C5 at all. There have been apparitions where they were unmistakeable in my 70mm refractor and then other times like last year virtually lost in a frothy mess thru my 8" reflector. If my 70mm can do it then believe you me so can your 125mm and with a little color boost too. The caveat here that Eddgie underscores is that to reliably see them a bigger scope is in order but even then, recalling last years equatorial zone *washout* even my long focus 8" had trouble to nil results depending on seeing. When they aren't compromised and show fairly well however they ought to show fine. Delicate but fine. I used to sketch them using my 70mm. Lately though they are still quite the low contrast thing - far better than a year ago but not a chance thru the refractor in 5/10 seeing.

I will say that a well made sct is every inch a superb lunar and planetary scope. You'd be amazed how well the image holds at higher magnifications on a small mars for example. Just make sure it's cooled at least an hour and have it collimated. Beyond that the the focus (sky willing) is gratifyingly sharp and lunar and planetary is rewardingly detailed. What it can't do is worth a shrug because it is so very highly capable everywhere else and at a price point no refractor can touch. Don't overlook some nice double star observing on better nights that are at the diffraction limit.

Eddgies spot on just thought I'd mention the contrast variability of festoons and for a lot of Jovian features really. It's always shifting and in that is ever present the fact that every time you set up and look something can have changed and so new things appear.

The fives a great scope.

Pete

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Celestron C5+ owners- your experiences [Re: Jae]
      #5563590 - 12/10/12 06:09 AM

I filled the tripod legs with foam and found that killed vibration. I bought an inexpensive foam mat for camping and cut it into strips, which I stuffed into the legs and packed down with a dowel. Since no two parts are identical when done this way, it has many different damped frequencies so vibration goes away practically instantly.

-Rich

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Celestron C5+ owners- your experiences new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5574509 - 12/16/12 05:15 PM

Check out my AB page; I've got several shots through my C5. I bloomed out the stars with poor focus, but otherwise it produced satisfactory images. Not to mention considering how light it is... it's great for the focal length!

Astrosetz
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/05/03

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: Celestron C5+ owners- your experiences new [Re: Raginar]
      #5869728 - 05/18/13 04:54 PM

I just acquired a quite minty C5+ from a nice fellow on Astromart, and I'm very excited about this little scope. While I've had two Nexstar 5 scopes (still have one of them) I just prefer to point the scope on my own most of the time -- especially during public outreach events

I've found that the C5+ fits perfectly on the old Nexstar 5 tripod, and the views through the Thousand Oaks filter have been great today, so I'm chomping at the bit to get it out tonight at our public viewing event.

Did Celestron ever make a case for the scope on it's base? I've seen cases mounting the OTA itself, but I like to carry the whole thing at once by the handle because it's so convenient. Also, if anyone ever comes across the original white finder and/or hand controller, let me know The scope is in super-excellent shape, but there were a few things missing.

ardunstan
journeyman

Reged: 03/03/13

Re: Celestron C5+ owners- your experiences new [Re: Astrosetz]
      #6402750 - 02/28/14 10:14 PM

I have one from 1994. The above assessments on the C5+ are pretty much on the mark. However, my own scope appears to exhibit rather heavy spherical aberration. The extra focal rings on a star test are not identical. The focused image does not snap into focus, but rather eases into it. Planetary images aren't as sharp and detailed as they could be on mine. Would anyone care to comment on star test performance on their C5+s? I'd really like to know so I have something to compare to.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Celestron C5+ owners- your experiences new [Re: ardunstan]
      #6403420 - 03/01/14 09:46 AM

Collimation is your friend- if you have a 3mm eyepiece, use it to get a super precise collimation at higher than usable power. This will leave the collimation ostensibly perfect at regular magnifications. Then try looking at a planet. Take care not to touch the optics when you hug it afterwards.

-Rich

ardunstan
journeyman

Re: Celestron C5+ owners- your experiences new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6403611 - 03/01/14 11:32 AM

Rich,

I have a 4mm Celestron Ultima eyepiece and a 4.8mm TV Nagler that I use for high magnification. The rings are indeed concentric. I also have collimated with and without the diagonals to see if there was some other factor. They are the original Celestron 1.25" and a TeleVue 1.25" mirror diagonal. Nevertheless, I will follow your advice and see if there is an improvement.

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: Celestron C5+ owners- your experiences new [Re: ardunstan]
      #6403987 - 03/01/14 03:08 PM

Quote:

However, my own scope appears to exhibit rather heavy spherical aberration. The extra focal rings on a star test are not identical. The focused image does not snap into focus, but rather eases into it. Planetary images aren't as sharp and detailed as they could be on mine. Would anyone care to comment on star test performance on their C5+s?

Iv'e had 3 white tube C5's over the years.
The first was perfect with diffraction rings on both sides of focus, The second was not nearly as good, and did not show rings properly on both sides of focus. I sold it and bought my current white tube C5 that shows good diffraction rings on both sides, and does snap to focus on the planets.
There was talk back in the 1990's that some of the white tube C5's had corrector plates that were a tad too small, as a result they would shift out of alignment. Double check that yours is correctly aligned. Some people have also used 2 inch diagonals on their C5's. It's a bit of a waste as the central baffle limits the amount of light getting to the eyepiece. I tried a 2 inch diagonal and found that the longer optical train added spherical aberration to the in and out of focus star test image. C5's work best with a 1.25 inch diagonal.
Hope it all works out for you.
They are really nice portable little scopes.

Steve

ardunstan
journeyman

Re: Celestron C5+ owners- your experiences new [Re: stevew]
      #6404987 - 03/02/14 02:09 AM

Steve,

Thanks for the insight. I removed the corrector and cleaned out all the gunk on the inside. I also noticed that yes, the corrector on my C5 is undersized. It did have a mark at the 3 o'clock position, so I placed it back in the proper alignment as best I could. I took my time collimating the secondary and there was a slight improvement in image quality. Jupiter was a little better at about 125x as the sky was nicely steady, but kind of hazy. They really are great portable scopes, but I still am not impressed with this one. I guess I got an average to below average scope. I was planning on getting a C6, but that was sidetracked for a while. This gives me a better rationalization on getting that C6 now.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2772

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics