snowboycosmos

Reged: 07/18/12

What do I do? new
      #5563059 - 12/09/12 07:55 PM

Dear CN
I recently bought a CPC1100
and on noticing a slight blemish
On the inside of the corrector plate
Had the telescope returned to be cleaned.
On receiving the scope back
I have just inspected it
And noticed the main mirror
That before was spotless is dotted with
Numerous dust particles and even a small hair!
There is a new scratch in the inside of the corrector plate
And the outside of the corrector plate
Has rub marks all over and around it.
What should I say to the seller?
Should I have it returned again ?
Ask for a new one?
Please help as I am very frustrated at this.
snowboycosmos.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: What do I do? new [Re: snowboycosmos]
      #5563113 - 12/09/12 08:50 PM

Clean the outside of the corrector yourself. Follow the instructions at http://www.arksky.org/asoclean.htm using filtered liquids and single use lint free cloths. You'll probably only need to follow the rinse instructions.

Ignore any issues inside the ota and don't look back. A little dust and "even a small hair" (oh the horror! ... sorry but I had to do that) won't make one bit of difference to your views ... and neither will the rub marks on the outside but you'll feel better if you clean them.

Edited by mclewis1 (12/09/12 08:58 PM)

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
      #5563135 - 12/09/12 09:08 PM

I would contact the seller to report this. Did you buy it from a vendor or a private sale? If it is a vendor, maybe they will send you a new scope. When I buy a new scope, I want it perfect optically and cosmetically.

Bill

snowboycosmos

Re: What do I do? new [Re: Bill Barlow]
      #5563206 - 12/09/12 09:48 PM

Bill I agree. When I'm paying 2500 upwards for a scope it should be spotless. When the scope came I remember looking at the mirror and thinking 'wow'... now I see a speckled hen.Should I just ignore this and carry on? Maybe some folk don't mind shoddy cleaning, dusty mirrors, and rub marks. A scratch on the inside of the corrector plate? I'm sorry Mark but these things do make a difference. Oh the horror.?

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
      #5563300 - 12/09/12 10:59 PM

Hi snowboycosmos,

If you purchased it new, you may be able to return it. You may get a replacement that's 'better'. Or not. As you've already seen the "cure" can be worse than the "disease".

Before any further action, have you actually used the scope yet? If so, how did it perform? If the GOTOs, tracking, and optical performance are acceptable, minor cosmetic issues are meaningless.

Of course no one wants any new item to be less than cosmetically "perfect", but a telescope is a tool, not a collector's item. So, if you are satisfied with the telescope's performance, just enjoy it. If not, contact the dealer and have them make it right.

Don

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: What do I do? new [Re: Digital Don]
      #5563485 - 12/10/12 02:06 AM

When someone pays that kind of money they deserve a product that is good as ilustrated in the brochures.

i suppose you would accept a new car with dirty seats and small dent or two ?After all it won't affect the performance.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

#5563487 - 12/10/12 02:09 AM

Demand the dealer provide a scope in excellent pristine condition or a full refund; if you paid for a new scope ,you should get a new scope without defects.Why some are willing to pay thousands and then accept shoddy work is beyond me.

snowboycosmos

Re: What do I do? new [Re: BigC]
      #5563548 - 12/10/12 04:11 AM

Yes I agree,I've never heard of anyone buying a brand knew car with marks on the seats and a few dents and saying 'oh well, it performs enough'. One of the key performance parts of a SC scope surely is the cleanliness of the mirror!
When you look into your new scope, you see a pristine piece of kit, something untouchable and not to be touched, you keep it covered, dust free, immaculate, you strive to house your lenses in the best condition possible, like in a clean room, a laboratory. Astronomers are scientists not hobbyists.Every astronomers scope should mean as much to the owner as the Hubble is to NASA. It's your passion, your joy, but it's also something that should be respected beyond the normal day to day things. Like a piano for a composer, or a piece of decent art.There seems to be two camps here of ' oh it'll be fine ' or ' get it replaced and perfect' . I go with the latter. I guess if i was to get another scope and the tracking was broken or some other defect then I'd return it again. I don't want no dusty mirror, sorry.

Edited by snowboycosmos (12/10/12 04:17 AM)

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: What do I do? [Re: snowboycosmos]
      #5563677 - 12/10/12 07:46 AM

Take your nice scope outside and begin using it.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

#5563921 - 12/10/12 10:48 AM

he thing is I would buy a brand new item with marks ,but only if the price was significantly discounted to reflect the condition!

SInce nearly all my gear is used still doesn't mean I want marked up junk-unless it was real cheap!

I had a handheld ham radio that I used for 5 or 6 years and when I sold it ,the new owner remarked on how clean and on the lack of scratches,etc.

Why would one not take care of their tools?

Some of the best auto mechanics I know have felt lined tool cabinets with a spot for every wrench .They always wipe the tool of dirt and grease before putting it away, and yet they seem able to fix problems the haphazard cannot!

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #5564218 - 12/10/12 01:44 PM

First of all you didn't say that your scope was brand new. Your dealer clearly didn't do a very good job of cleaning the outside of the corrector but as I mentioned above that's a very simple thing to fix yourself. An obviously dirty corrector on a new scope wouldn't make me happy either - and yes I'd be having a few words with the dealer. But you are much more likely to have a scope damaged by all the shipping back and forth. You will have to learn to clean the corrector anyways.

A little bit of dust on your primary mirror will NOT make one tiny bit of difference to your views. Even if a scope is absolutely pristine when delivered it will collect a bit of dust on the primary within a few months of use, this is normal (yes even for an SCT) and doesn't affect the scope one bit.

A "slight blemish" is different than a scratch. A scratch can be very difficult to properly identify unless you pull the corrector and verify that's it a scratch and not a sleek or other blemish. Again I also wouldn't be happy with a new scope with a scratch but I would evaluate the size of the scratch vs. the risk of shipping the scope around. Like a little dust a small scratch from improper cleaning won't affect your views.

The only scope that stays absolutely pristine is one that's kept unused and hermetically sealed. Yes, a little dust and some rub marks are not what you want to see on a brand new scope but it helps to keep in mind that's what will happen to your scope after a few months of use anyway.

Clean primary optics are important to maintaining high contrast views but "clean" isn't pristine and completely dust free (this is different than "clean" eyepieces which do tend to need to be as dust free as possible/practical). In my experience if you obsess about the cleanliness of your optics you'll likely end up cleaning them too much over the lifespan of your scope and that will do more to inhibit your views than a little dust or rub marks.

Nobody want's a damaged new product - either a scope or a car, and it's up to your dealer to make things right. But to use the new car analogy you don't crawl under a newly delivered car and clean the chassis or the tread on the tires. You accept that small amount of dirt as normal. After all it's going to be a lot worse in a couple of months of normal use.

"Astronomers are scientists not hobbyists." Well I think you might find a few thousand folks around here who would take issue with that.

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 711

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics