Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade LX

Pages: 1
Mta472

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: CT
Mildew problem with LX90
      #5563694 - 12/10/12 08:06 AM

I have a 12 inch LX90 which I store in the garage. It was so rainy and humid this past summer that it looks like I formed some mildew on the INSIDE of the collector plate and on the primary mirror at the back of the scope. This does NOT appear to be going away with the colder weather (40 degrees in the garage). Is there some was I can get rid of this mildew? Will it effect the scope performance? I estimate that it covers less than 1% of the surface of the collector plate and primary mirror and is scattered in small patches. I assume I can not remove the collector plate or the primary mirror to clean them. Thank you for an advice.

Clear skies... Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Clever, Missouri
Re: Mildew problem with LX90 new [Re: Mta472]
      #5563880 - 12/10/12 10:12 AM

Mike, you may want to address this sooner than later. Mold has a way of eating the coatings off the glass and mirrors. The good news is that the cold will most likely keep the fungi dormant but cleaning up the primary and corrector with purosol may be warranted. Please lookup the procedures for SCT disassembly before you get started. If you are not comfortable with this procedure, I believe there are several people who will do this for you (for a price). This link will get you started. Good luck.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 818

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics