Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: How do you use your Grab and Go Refractor? new [Re: la200o]
      #5561029 - 12/08/12 03:06 PM

On the deck it's been a toss up between the SV80/9D on a Televue panoramic mount and my AT72ED on a Vixen Portamount. However my "new" Unitron model 114 60mm altaz with Unihex is a game changer. It's out the door and observing within a couple of minutes with either of these.

Edited by terraclarke (12/08/12 03:13 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KWB
Postmaster

Reged: 09/30/06

Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet
Re: How do you use your Grab and Go Refractor? new [Re: Pentax Syntax]
      #5561051 - 12/08/12 03:19 PM

Quote:

Of course, on many nights, that little refractor does so well, I don't bother with the bigger scopes. Other ideas?

Hello and welcome,John

That's a pretty good idea from my standpoint,being an observer that does most of it from my suburban backyard. I enjoy using this type telescope for it's ease of use and focus on what it is capable of showing,as opposed to what it can't.

Enjoy!

tomharri
sage

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: USA
Re: How do you use your Grab and Go Refractor? new [Re: KWB]
      #5562069 - 12/09/12 09:39 AM Attachment (44 downloads)

I don't. Have come to the conclusion- If you don't have 8", you are wasteing your time. This f/5 is easy to rollout, remove caps, and in 15-20 minutes the mirrors have reached thermal equilibrium, and you are ready to go! More light grasp and resolution than a 4" refractor at any price.

Mr Onions
Two Time International Photographical Competition Winner

Reged: 04/14/07

Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne.
Re: How do you use your Grab and Go Refractor? new [Re: tomharri]
      #5562233 - 12/09/12 11:21 AM

So someone with 7" astro-physics or APM is wasting their time?
My friend Antony from Scotland recently observed 8 bands on Jupiter with a 60mm Swift refractor.
Was he wasting his time?

tomharri
sage

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: USA
Re: How do you use your Grab and Go Refractor? new [Re: Mr Onions]
      #5562314 - 12/09/12 11:58 AM

For grab and go, large refractors are not, and 60mm's, well what can you say.....that is why we bought other scopes.

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
Re: How do you use your Grab and Go Refractor? new [Re: Pentax Syntax]
      #5562392 - 12/09/12 12:39 PM

Here is my grab-n-go setup (82mm f/5.5 twin refractors on Half Hitch mount/carbon fiber tripod) to backyard.

I take a whole thing (27lb), walk out to backyard and a few more eyepieces in my pocket. It is 30 seconds or less to start observing.

It has been foggy, visibility 100 meters

Tammy

prestonrich
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/01/07

Loc: Washington DC Mayland suburbs
Re: How do you use your Grab and Go Refractor? new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5562755 - 12/09/12 04:41 PM

C5 on a half-hitch mount and BIPH. Pretty much does it all.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5563549 - 12/10/12 04:19 AM

Quote:

I don't. Have come to the conclusion- If you don't have 8", you are wasteing your time. This f/5 is easy to rollout, remove caps, and in 15-20 minutes the mirrors have reached thermal equilibrium, and you are ready to go! More light grasp and resolution than a 4" refractor at any price.

Humm... mirrors reach thermal equilibrium in 15-20 minutes... An 8 inch scope supports 400x when the seeing is stable, even more on double stars. Even with a fan running, I have never experienced an 8 inch Newtonian that would provide a clean star test at 400x after 20 minutes of cooling down.

One can always make the argument that a larger scope is still "grab and go" and that the greater aperture provides more light grasp and more resolution... I can have my 16 inch F/4.42 up and running is less time than my 8 inch F/5 and it clearly has more light grasp and potentially more resolution... But..

This idea that one is "wasting one's time", what is it exactly we are doing? This is a hobby, if one is enjoying the night sky, that is what is counts. You might be "wasting your time with an 8 inch", I am not "wasting my time" with any scope, I am doing exactly what I want to be doing.

Jon

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: How do you use your Grab and Go Refractor? [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5563708 - 12/10/12 08:20 AM

My grab and go is my 60x700 Widger scope. Living in a light polluted sky on most of the hurry up and view nights limits me to brighter objects anyways.
That said the 60x700 on nights of good seeing shows me galaxys, star clusters , the ring nebula, and nebula.
Planets when available, the sun with the filter on, and the moon is awesome.
Granted the 16 inch will blow the 60 out of the water on trips to dark sky sites.
But grab and go for me is seeing whats available after work, or on those times when driving to a dark sky site isnt possible.

Garfield
sage

Reged: 02/02/04

Loc: South-Western ON Canada
Re: How do you use your Grab and Go Refractor? new [Re: droid]
      #5564189 - 12/10/12 01:24 PM

I'm just in the process of swapping my grab'n go setup (which is my only scope BTW) from an Orion 102ED to a new-to-me SV90TBV (flourite version expected by the end of the week). It will be used only in binoviewer mode (Baader Maxbright w/o corrector) mounted on Tak-teegul alt-az and Gitzo tripod that is permanently set up in my study, ready to be quickly trotted out the door for those 20 minute sessions when the skies are clear enough. I tried this earlier with an SW 120 Equinox but it was too long to get out the door easily, and was at the upper end of Teegul's capacity. I have to say the little Orion ED worked well, but I had a chance to pick up the Stellarvue for a good price and I liked the fact that it's just a tad shorter but at f7 still provides decent views of solar system objects (which is why I chose the SV over the TMB92). Anything that delivers on quality @100x is good enough for me.

For me, two-eyed viewing is a requirement.

BTW I really like Tammy's setup with the Kowa Highlander, but wish it had 90-degree oculars -- due to light pollution I'm always observing near zenith. APM is also working on a new high-power binoscope which will be interesting to see when it arrives.

astrogaffer
journeyman

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canad...
Re: How do you use your Grab and Go Refractor? new [Re: Garfield]
      #5564759 - 12/10/12 07:35 PM

I like the Televue 76 mounted on a dwarfstar on a vanguard carbon fibre tripod. This make a very quick and light grab-n-go for those unplanned sessions involving the planets, star clusters, double stars and brighter galaxies and nebulae. This is my most used setup just due to the convenience. It matches well with most of the opportunities as they come up with the weather and moon phases, often on week nights when observing time is at a premium.

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
Re: How do you use your Grab and Go Refractor? new [Re: astrogaffer]
      #5565455 - 12/11/12 06:50 AM Attachment (30 downloads)

Ultimate refractor Grab 'n' Go. Combine with a Gen III image intensifier eyepiece (IIE) and let the fun begin!

HandyAndy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: West Midlands and around
Re: How do you use your Grab and Go Refractor? new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #5566387 - 12/11/12 06:10 PM

I now use the Opticstar AR80S as my travel grab and go scope as its too heavy for its intended use as a guide scope on a cut down Rank builders level.

I have a TSFlat2 and a SH 2" Diagonal with front filter threads it screws into.

The focal plane of a 24mm Hyperion in 2" mode with Skywatcher Sodium Filter on is just a few mm above the back of the diagonal. At the 109-112mm back focus on the TSFlat2. My friend turned a bit off the diagonal output end so the Hyperion could reach down far enough.

The combination works very well with colour free stars and its just eyepiece curvature degradation at the edge, easily focused out.

It seems to work with other eyepieces as well. With a 40mm TMB Paragon its got a wider field than the 7x50 RACI finder.

Also just got a SH WO 7.5-22.5 zoom for daylight birding.

All in the bag the 80mm came in. And I keep a cheap manual EQ5 mount, with fold out legs, in the car for it.

All a bit serendipitous.

nirvanix
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: Saskatoon, SK
Re: How do you use your Grab and Go Refractor? new [Re: HandyAndy]
      #5566536 - 12/11/12 08:20 PM

Stuffed my Orion 100 f6 frac and a video tripod in my backpack and travelled through southeast Asia. What a hoot to show people who have never even seen a telescope (let alone look through one) the moon and Saturn. By the way in Thailand they call the Pleiades 'The Seven Chickens' - it's a very food-centric culture.

walt99

Reged: 08/23/08

Loc: Kentucky
Re: How do you use your Grab and Go Refractor? new [Re: nirvanix]
      #5567215 - 12/12/12 09:31 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

40 mm hydrogen alpha solarscope piggybacked on 80 mm f12 achromatic refractor with a white light solar filter . The sun was ringed with prominence yesterday , tho no sunspots were visible . It's cold . I can stay inside and watch . . .

Red Shift

Reged: 11/09/11

Loc: Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA
      #5571313 - 12/14/12 06:42 PM

Quote:

Your KEYWORD is "Rollout".
Not everyone has a physical situation like yours.
Some of us have "CARRYOUT" - down stairs, etc

AND

Some of your fellow Astronomers ( amateur or professional )
are HANDICAPPED as well.

As the owner of an 8" F/6 DOB I agree with your assessment of light grasp. As a recent above-the-knee amputee that has to carry a scope down a set of stairs, I don't agree with your assessment regarding portability versus the pleasures of transporting & viewing thru a smaller instrument.

FirstSightModerator
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: How do you use your Grab and Go Refractor? new [Re: Red Shift]
      #5572238 - 12/15/12 09:36 AM

My grab n'go is an NP101 I often keep set up in the garage, where I also keep my 12" dob reflector ready-to-go but for collimation and rolling out on a hand-cart. So the difference in set-up times is the extra 5 minutes to check and adjust collimation on the dob, plus sometimes I need to hook up the battery to the fan on the dob if the garage temp and outside ambient temps differ. OTOH with the NP101 there's the essential step of leveling the tripod since my driveway has a very gradual, variable slope to it, just enough to make it prudent to remove any risk the tripod might tip over if not leveled. With my OCD that takes two or three minutes to get that bubble on top *exactly* centered.

So for my particular circumstances, net the grab n'go differential is less than five minutes between the NP101 and the 12" reflector. Even so, for home driveway observing sessions, I'll pick the NP101 four out of five times.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
41 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FirstSight, panhard, star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2844

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics