Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)
operascope
sage

Reged: 09/03/08

Loc: Canada
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: DGB]
      #5563447 - 12/10/12 01:16 AM

Oh, rats. I never thought to ask him to sign my copy.

Edited by operascope (12/10/12 01:19 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print [Re: DGB]
      #5563749 - 12/10/12 08:50 AM

Seeing as I ordered mine on 10/23, it should should be here any time, now!

Edit: I arrived about a half hour ago... it is huge! I started putting it together, and decided that the hole reinforcements are not only a good idea, they're pretty much a necessity!

I love the "leather" portfolio that holds it all together! I have to say that once it's all put together it really has to be stored on its side, flat. Otherwise, I'm thinking that the weight of the pages will stress the holes even if they're reinforced. Just an observation.

Anyway, it's off to Staple's for the really thin hole reinforcements.

Edited by mayidunk (12/10/12 02:01 PM)

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: mayidunk]
      #5565830 - 12/11/12 12:10 PM

WOW! this thing is huge!... really nice charting as well - very impressive! Well done!

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

#5568325 - 12/12/12 09:34 PM

Well, two hours, and 564 carefully applied hole reinforcement rings later, and the Atlas is assembled and is ready for use.

FYI, I used the white, self-adhesive hole reinforcements being sold by Target under their "up&up" house brand. They come 544 in a pack for less than $3.00. They appear to be plastic, are very thin, and are very easy to work with. The pages all fit in the binder rings with room to spare!

I used a small flat-bladed screwdriver (a "7-level screwdriver" for all you ex-AF electronic tech. people) to position the rings over the punched holes, so that made the job of applying them go even faster. I believe it took just over 2 hours to apply one ring to each hole on each page. Yeah, it was a bit of a PITA, but it was also kind of relaxing, and now that it's done I'm glad I did it.

What a wonderful Atlas that Piotr has produced! I'm looking at it, going through its pages, looking at the binder... I can't believe that he is willing to sell them for only $99 shipped, as it actually appears he may well be taking a loss by doing so, given the sorry state of the world economy! What an amazing value!

In any event, it's an amazing work, and I consider myself fortunate to have a copy of it. Thank you, Piotr!

Full Sun

Reged: 11/19/06

Loc: Ontario
      #5571627 - 12/14/12 09:48 PM

The Great Atlas just received from Piotr. This was an immense undertaking , I mean just carrying to the car from the Post Office. Seriously, this is a serious body of work presented on a very large scale, presenting distant suns down to Mag 12, shipped from Poland, and all for the price of a new plossl. Well done Piotr .Verdict; recommend 'Buy'.

Total transit time- Warsaw to Toronto=5weeks.

Edited by Full Sun (12/14/12 10:53 PM)

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Full Sun]
      #5571843 - 12/15/12 12:31 AM

Quote:

The Great Atlas just received from Piotr. This was an immense undertaking , I mean just carrying to the car from the Post Office. Seriously, this is a serious body of work presented on a very large scale, presenting distant suns down to Mag 12, shipped from Poland, and all for the price of a new plossl. Well done Piotr .

You're right, it is serious. And anyone considering the one-volume U2000 ought to consider this as well; far more detailed, still one volume, and close to the same price. I think it'll be a long, long time before anything trumps this one.

bigdob24

Reged: 04/19/08

Loc: Central Illinois
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5573050 - 12/15/12 07:26 PM

I just placed an order, I was told he had 10 copies left.
Now there is 9.
Was told it will take 4-6 weeks .

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

#5573064 - 12/15/12 07:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The Great Atlas just received from Piotr. This was an immense undertaking , I mean just carrying to the car from the Post Office. Seriously, this is a serious body of work presented on a very large scale, presenting distant suns down to Mag 12, shipped from Poland, and all for the price of a new plossl. Well done Piotr .

You're right, it is serious. And anyone considering the one-volume U2000 ought to consider this as well; far more detailed, still one volume, and close to the same price. I think it'll be a long, long time before anything trumps this one.

+2

Fimpster
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/09

Loc: Aprox. 1 AU from Sun
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5580298 - 12/20/12 09:38 AM

I received mine a couple of weeks ago from Agena, just a few days after I ordered it. WOW, I knew it would be huge and heavy , but I was still impressed. I'm trying to decide whether I should go ahead and put the reinforcer rings on. I dont plan to use pages in the field, this will just be an indoor desk reference.

bigdob24

Reged: 04/19/08

Loc: Central Illinois
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Fimpster]
      #5581112 - 12/20/12 05:25 PM

Do you apply the reinforcing rings on both sides ?
If so does it all fit back into the binder

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: bigdob24]
      #5581275 - 12/20/12 07:05 PM

I did put rings on both sides and it makes for a very tight fit in the binder. I decided to remove all the charts from the southern sky thst I cannot use and store the in the original box. Now pages turn freely.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: bigdob24]
      #5583077 - 12/21/12 07:23 PM

I used the white, self-adhesive hole reinforcements being sold by Target under their "up&up" house brand. They come 544 in a pack for less than $3.00. They appear to be plastic, are very thin, and are very easy to work with.

I applied them to one side only, and the pages all fit in the binder rings with room to spare! However, I think if I had applied them to both sides of the page, it may have been a bit of a tight fit. But it's hard to say, as those rings really are pretty thin.

If you have a micrometer, or dial calipers, you should be able to measure the thickness of the rings plus the pages, and come up with a ballpark idea of how they'd fit based on how thick each page with the rings added would be, multiplied by the number of pages, compared to just the thickness of the pages alone, multiplied by the same number of pages.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5583089 - 12/21/12 07:30 PM

I'd just do one side. I mean, how rough do you really want to treat this thing?!

BPO
sage

Reged: 02/23/10

Loc: South Island, NZ
      #5583567 - 12/22/12 03:42 AM

We all know Rick Woods has little respect for astro books.

When I ordered the reinforcers for my GAOTS I didn't even know there were different thicknesses to be had, so whether they are thick or thin ones I couldn't say. (They were transparent and didn't seem particularly thick.)

What I can say is that they were applied to both sides (because I have more respect for my books than Rick does for his...) and it certainly bulked up that edge, but everything still fits between the covers with room to spare.

You will probably be fine reinforcing just one side, and it will save you a lot of time and a small amount of depth.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: BPO]
      #5583900 - 12/22/12 11:24 AM

Agh! My secret is out!

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Fimpster]
      #5584075 - 12/22/12 01:13 PM

Quote:

I received mine a couple of weeks ago from Agena, just a few days after I ordered it. WOW, I knew it would be huge and heavy , but I was still impressed. I'm trying to decide whether I should go ahead and put the reinforcer rings on. I dont plan to use pages in the field, this will just be an indoor desk reference.

Agena had this? Did Manish have another one? I emailed him to find out.

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #5585355 - 12/23/12 10:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Agena had this? Did Manish have another one? I emailed him to find out.

As I understand it, Agena was the sole U.S. seller.

Piotr Brych

Reged: 08/31/11

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5593002 - 12/28/12 05:34 PM

The stocks of The Great Atlas of the Sky became exhausted on December 23rd. Still, all orders paid for after that date will be finalized since I am now collecting the unsold copies of the atlas from our distributors in Poland. I hope to receive approximately 50 copies of the atlas in this way. The collected copies will be shipped out to clients starting from around January 10th. Until this date no express orders will be processed.

Thus, further orders can be placed at will – when the number of new orders exceeds 50, I will post a separate message on cludynights forum, and if there is not enough copies, the money will be reimbursed immediately. Once all copies collected from distributors’ warehouses are sold, the sales of the greatest atlas of the sky will be definitively closed.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Piotr Brych]
      #5593079 - 12/28/12 06:24 PM

You came, you saw, you conquered.
Great job, Piotr!

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
      #5593106 - 12/28/12 06:39 PM

Agree it's such an impressive work, instant center of attention here the last few nights!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17167

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics