Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
idealistic
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/31/10

Loc: massachusetts
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: JJK]
      #5563200 - 12/09/12 09:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldnt take a Questar to central park in the middle of the night. Just saying....

How could you, living in Massachetts?

Well Id probably take a Fung Wah bus, but that presents its own set of problems.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: LateViewer]
      #5563268 - 12/09/12 10:33 PM

Quote:

There are people who set up in Central Park, with telescopes, at night on a regular basis.

The mayors girl friend walks her dog there by herself at night.

New York, I think, is very different from what people remember it being. It is the safest big city in the US.

I myself walk through the park often on my way home.

It's a history still pretty fresh . Crime IS down but I don't think it'll ever be a safe place. It'd be easier if there weren't specific accounts I can state. Good luck though.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (12/10/12 06:57 PM)

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: RafaelP]
      #5563359 - 12/09/12 11:52 PM

The C90 is cheaper.

The C90 compares well to the Questar and schpanks the ETX 90.

Nuf said.

http://www.scopereviews.com/90mmComparo.html

Also, the C90 has a lifetime warranty. The Orion does not. Celestron "spotting scopes" have lifetime warranties. The astronomical telescopes have just a 2-year warranty.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (12/10/12 12:05 AM)

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5563600 - 12/10/12 06:31 AM

I lived in a second floor stairs-only apartment in New Orleans for years. My initial telescope for taking up and down stairs was a C90- which is a wonderful little telescope. Very small and portable and able to pull in the planets and even planetary nebula like M57 from where I lived about half a block from a massive theater complex- the light pollution was so bad, my skies were pink!

However, when I upgraded to a C5, which is very close in weight, its performance was just head and shoulders above the C90. My rig was 18 lbs with the C5 and got outside even when I only had half an hour and would just hit things like M45, Saturn, Jupiter, the moon, or M42 and head back in. And this was with a little manual equatorial mount- with computer guidance you could hit one or two new things in that time.

I later got a C5+, which has a single arm fork- vastly easier to move than a German equatorial with its counterweight arm sticking out. This was the rig I carried a quarter mile (one way, set up with legs extended and camera gear on the tray) to photograph the 2004 transit of Venus from Orlando.

I've said before if I knew I was going to be stuck on an island for a year and had under 50 lbs for a scope, it would be the C5. And now that I have an AP130 EDFGT, it would still be the C5 because that OTA is 25 lbs before it goes on a mount.

And if you set up sonewhere folks come by, I expect you'll be surprised at how friendly and decent a look at Jupiter makes people.

And Jim makes an excellent point- the spotter versions of Celestron scopes have a lifetime warranty. I had my workplace buy one of the new C5 spotters- it even comes in a padded case. It will also focus at 12 feet. So, consider a simple push mount like the AT voyager or universal Astronomics Unistar deluxe. Several computer driven mounts are available such as the Celestron Nexstars or the Unistar cube, any of which could handle it. Adorama should be able to show you some of this.

-Rich

Edited by Starhawk (12/10/12 06:44 AM)

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? [Re: RafaelP]
      #5563811 - 12/10/12 09:28 AM

Meade ETX-90. Can be used with or without tripod.

RafaelP

Reged: 12/01/12

Loc: NYC
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: REC]
      #5563916 - 12/10/12 10:45 AM

Rich: Thank you for sharing your experiences with the c90 and C5.

I did a price caparison to find out which would be the best deal to get me started right away(in the future I can replace the bits with better stuff.) I also decided to to start considering up to 5" diameter. I would like to see them in person though, as I would like to keep it small and portable.

Since I will need accessories and a mount that adds to the price. The best deals seem to be:
-Orion StarMax 90 @$200
-Celestron NexStar 90 SLT (90mm MCT) @ $306
-Celestron NexStar 127 SLT (125mm MCT)@ $425
-Celestron NexStar 4SE (102mm MCT) @ $449

Here are for the la carte spotting scopes. I need to add a UA DwarfStar, eyepieces and a diagonal which is at least $350.
-Orion C90 $150+350 =$450
-Celestron C5 $425+350=$815

Perhaps I am over thinking this!
~Rafael

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5563972 - 12/10/12 11:18 AM

Quote:

The C90 compares well to the Questar and schpanks the ETX 90.

I have one of the new C90's and a 1990's vintage ETX 90 OTA. Both are optically very good. The ETX OTA though is better, re res/contrast than my C90.That said:

1. Any of the mass produced 90mm maks will vary in optical quality from sample to sample.

2. I would suggest the C90, because of its build quality (visa vis the ETX) and it having a standard style back. Ergonomically, the C90 is the better choice in OTA's.

3. All 90mm Maks are "comparable" to the Questar. They all share a similar aperture and focal length. But how close they are to it in optical quality is a more complex question. None of them come close to the Q in mechanical quality.

4. Assuming that a Mak is in collimation when purchased, it should maintain it's collimation better than an SCT. This may be important to you if you will be moving the OTA around alot, and if you do not want to spend time collimating your optics.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5564705 - 12/10/12 06:49 PM

You should include the nexstar 5 SE, currently own sale at $629 at our sponsor.

I don't think you're over thinking it. Getting started with a good instrument is important.

-Rich

Quote:

Rich: Thank you for sharing your experiences with the c90 and C5.

I did a price caparison to find out which would be the best deal to get me started right away(in the future I can replace the bits with better stuff.) I also decided to to start considering up to 5" diameter. I would like to see them in person though, as I would like to keep it small and portable.

Since I will need accessories and a mount that adds to the price. The best deals seem to be:
-Orion StarMax 90 @$200
-Celestron NexStar 90 SLT (90mm MCT) @ $306
-Celestron NexStar 127 SLT (125mm MCT)@ $425
-Celestron NexStar 4SE (102mm MCT) @ $449

Here are for the la carte spotting scopes. I need to add a UA DwarfStar, eyepieces and a diagonal which is at least $350.
-Orion C90 $150+350 =$450
-Celestron C5 $425+350=$815

Perhaps I am over thinking this!
~Rafael

RafaelP

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5564901 - 12/10/12 09:03 PM

I was hoping there would be some on the showroom floor at Adorama, but no such luck. Anyone know of places to actually see the scopes in person in NYC?

RafaelP

#5568866 - 12/13/12 09:24 AM

So I think I have decided to go with the C90 for now. I will get a mount like the DSV-M, DSV-1 or UA Microstar and accessories that can be used for a larger scope. That way once I get some experience I can trade up to a C5 or C6.

Does anyone find that the finder is in an odd position when mounting these spotting scopes sideways on a Dwarfstar type mount? Just trying to figure out future issues. Thanks!
R

Edited by RafaelP (12/13/12 09:32 AM)

stevenf
sage

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Vancouver, BC
      #5568962 - 12/13/12 10:33 AM

The finder position when it's sideways on a mount is a bit of a pain, but not overly horrible. It does mean you're crouching down quite a bit further to use it. It's the focuser being on top of the diagonal that I really don't like. I typically mount my 90mm on the dwarfstar using an Orion L-bracket and that works well, keeps it in it's original upright position.

It also works well, on the dwarfstar, to just turn the mount around so the scope is mounted on the left, and the finder is at the upper right of the tube.

Edited by stevenf (12/13/12 10:35 AM)

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: stevenf]
      #5568986 - 12/13/12 10:44 AM

Does anyone know the OTA diameter of the current C90 spotting scope? What size mounting ring? I know it comes with the shoe...

RafaelP

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: t.r.]
      #5570750 - 12/14/12 12:02 PM

So I have decided on the C90. It comes with a 32mm Celestron plossl. I need to replace the diagonal right away for astro viewing. I may replace the finder in the future.

This is what I am thinking so far:
~Dwarfstar mount(can be used with C5 in the future)
~GSO 1.25" 90-deg 99% Dielectric Mirror Diagonal
~GSO 1.25" Plossl Eyepiece - 15mm
~GSO 1.25" 2x Achromatic Barlow Lens

Any other accessory suggestions?
Thanks!
Rafael

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
      #5571014 - 12/14/12 03:20 PM

Quote:

Does anyone find that the finder is in an odd position when mounting these spotting scopes sideways on a Dwarfstar type mount?

If i remember corectly, when mounted on a side mount alt-azm
It is at the 2 pm or 10 am clock analogy point , depending on if you mount left or right.
There is not alot of space between the back of the tube and the eyepiece in a diagonal. A finder/pointer with significant back hang may be something you bump with your head; depending it and your head size

stevenf
sage

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Vancouver, BC
      #5571085 - 12/14/12 04:13 PM

Quote:

So I have decided on the C90. It comes with a 32mm Celestron plossl. I need to replace the diagonal right away for astro viewing. I may replace the finder in the future.

This is what I am thinking so far:
~Dwarfstar mount(can be used with C5 in the future)
~GSO 1.25" 90-deg 99% Dielectric Mirror Diagonal
~GSO 1.25" Plossl Eyepiece - 15mm
~GSO 1.25" 2x Achromatic Barlow Lens

Any other accessory suggestions?
Thanks!
Rafael

You might want to consider going with a 20mm instead of the 15mm, if you're getting the barlow, since a barlowed 32mm will give you 16mm, and you're duplicating eyepieces. With a 20 and 32 you'll get four options, 32, 20, 16, and 10mm.

mmclure
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/30/10

Loc: Sacramento, CA USA
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: stevenf]
      #5571145 - 12/14/12 04:58 PM

The recent spat of threads about the C90 made me pull the trigger today on one for myself (it will technically be a Christmas present from my wife ).

M44
sage

Reged: 03/24/07

Loc: SoCal.
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: mmclure]
      #5571361 - 12/14/12 07:11 PM

Quote:

The recent spat of threads about the C90 made me pull the trigger today on one for myself (it will technically be a Christmas present from my wife ).

Same here..But I went for a C5 Spotter and its on UPS from B&H..

ichdien

Reged: 11/27/08

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: M44]
      #5571399 - 12/14/12 07:34 PM

Why get a 90mm Mak when, like LateViewer, you can get something like the TMB 92 refractor? More aperture, more clear aperture, capable of high power AND wide fields (which will be especially useful since open clusters are among the best targets for city observers), and faster cool down than the Mak (which is important in the Northeast). I'm a former Manhattanite who enjoyed a wide field 4" refractor there for many years.

RafaelP

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? [Re: ichdien]
      #5571754 - 12/14/12 11:07 PM

Small Maks are much cheaper than an apo refractor($2000 for the one you suggested compared to $140.) I am not against looking at used too! Any suggestions for less expensive refractor in the $200-400 range that would preform as well as a mak for planets?

ichdien

Reged: 11/27/08

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? [Re: RafaelP]
      #5572222 - 12/15/12 09:27 AM

Sure, but I didn't see cost mentioned as a consideration in your original post.

Something like a Pronto could probably had in that range, or maybe just beyond it. It gives up a little aperture to a 90mm Mak, and they're a little colorful, but they're built like a tank, offer razor sharp views, virtually no cool down, are exceptionally portable, etc. Not sure what else i sour there.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12202

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics