Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
jhirsch
sage

Reged: 10/06/10

Loc: Ohio
2" eyepiece help/guidance new
      #5563265 - 12/09/12 10:32 PM

Iím contemplating adding a 2Ē eyepiece or two to my collection but I need a bit of advice from those with some experience.

First off for a point of reference. My 1st scope was a 120mm f5 refractor. At the time the widest eyepiece I had was a 25mm Plossl. I absolutely loved the wide field views that it produced. I know the nature of my C6 reduces the field of view thatís available and wide field views similar to the 120 will be virtually impossible. That being the case will adding a 28-40mm eyepiece even begin to give me the views I came to appreciate from the 120mm or would I be better off going with a focal reducer?

Doing some checking I determined that the 120mm with a 25mm gave me around 2.17* fov. (providing I did the math correctly) Iím open to suggestions on an eyepiece choice. While a focal reducer would be an option, Iím not sure what the pros & cons would be. Searching for a bit of advice hereÖ

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WAVT
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Re: 2" eyepiece help/guidance new [Re: jhirsch]
      #5563461 - 12/10/12 01:37 AM

Swaping to 2" eyepieces on a C6 is not all as it may appear, due to the design of the scope. (and mount) A good 32mm Plossl will open up your scope's view nicely. Longer focal length eyepieces will not make the view any wider.

If you really like wide field views get a wide field scope.

There are lots of threads regarding 2" alteration to the C6 over in the Nexstar forum. I've done it and have my C6 mounted to a Vixen Porta II, and use a Teleview Panoptic 27mm eyepiece in it. It is a lovely view. I'm not so sure you will be happy or the fit will be good on the Nexstar SE mount. Others have tried it. Study up before you leap.

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: 2" eyepiece help/guidance [Re: jhirsch]
      #5563866 - 12/10/12 10:07 AM Attachment (10 downloads)

Not in a C6, but in a 127mm Mak, here's a few comparisons of the TFOV 1.25" vs 2" EPs showed with and without reducer. As you can see, a 1.25" 32mm non-wide field with reducer beat the pants off a way more expensive 40mm 2" wide field without reducer.

Edited by BillP (12/10/12 10:09 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
11 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 283

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics