Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
kyle1234
journeyman

Reged: 12/02/11

Loc: Florida
Eyepieces for Celestron 11" EdgeHD new
      #5563060 - 12/09/12 07:56 PM

I have an 11" Celestron EdgeHD, along with 24mm, 17mm, and 10mm Baader Hyperion eyepieces. I am looking to upgrade to 82 degree field of view eyepieces, and am looking for eyepieces that will last me a while. I am looking into the TeleVue Nagler lineup. I mainly observe deep sky stuff, like globular clusters, nebulas, and galaxies versus planetary observing. Does anyone have reccommendations as to which focal length Naglers are best for my scope. My scope has a 2800mm focal length.

I've heard the 31mm is supposed to provide a really nice, bright, and wide field view that is great for the Veil and such. But do you find it a little underpowered for somethings, like M13, M57, M51? I have thought of the 31mm, 26mm, 21mm, and 17mm. Obviously I need more than one eyepiece, but I can only afford one eyepiece (maybe 2) at this time and was wondering what would be a good first step?

Does High Point Scientific offer any discount/reward program similar to Astronomics and OptCorp?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Eyepieces for Celestron 11" EdgeHD [Re: kyle1234]
      #5563879 - 12/10/12 10:12 AM

The only issue with Naglers is that it may be much more difficult to keep the outside of the field sharp.

This is because the extra magnification for a given true field size highlights the field curvature and coma from the scope.

For this reason, I stopped using Naglers in my C14. I now use only 68 degree AFOV eyepceices in it, but the Naglers work great in my EdgeHD 8" because the outside of the field in the EdgeHD is far sharper and flatter than in the standard scope.

If you are a younger observer and still have good visual accomdation, it is possible to keep the field a bit sharper by focusing on half way out to the edge of a Nagler, but if you are in your 40s, I would recommend going with a mixture of the 41mm Panoptic, a couple of ES 68 degree eyepcies down to about 20mm, and then Hyperions for below this.

The ES 68s are very similar to the Panoptics in terms of off axis performance.

The Hyperions I like for shorter focal lenghts (21mm and shorter) because of the generous eye relief. The 24 is OK, but not as good as the Panoptics. Otherwise, I am now using the 17mm and 13mm Hyperions in my C14 and am happy with them.

The test? If you can't easily read a newspaper at 12" from your face, you won't be able to accomdate the field curvature of your scope if you use 82 degree AFOV eyepecies.

Ed Whitney
sage

Reged: 07/08/10

Loc: Palm Coast, Florida
Re: Eyepieces for Celestron 11" EdgeHD new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5566289 - 12/11/12 04:53 PM

I use the Luminos ep's in the C-8 EdgeHD because they are designed for very flat FOV scopes, like the EdgeHD series. Stars are pin-point edge to edge. I even like them.

HPS sometimes gives and extra 5% off on orders or after you buy something, send you a 5% coupon with the order.

SeattleScott
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/14/11

Re: Eyepieces for Celestron 11" EdgeHD new [Re: Ed Whitney]
      #5566848 - 12/12/12 12:30 AM

With that much magnification, you want something that will give you the maximum field of view, around 1* in your scope. That can be achieved with a 41 Pan, or a 31 Nagler comes pretty close too. For dark sky, I would go with the 41 Pan for the brighter exit pupil. For light polluted urban skies, the 31 Nagler may be better to dim the light pollution.

You could go with Nagler for medium and high powers. Maybe a 22 Nagler for medium and 13 for high power. It all depends on your patience level. Some people like to have a set of eyepieces where the field of view is about 30% different going from one lens to the next. Others just get a zoom eyepiece so they don't have to fuss with changing eyepieces. You just have to decide if you are more of a minimalist, or if you are more of a perfectionist and are willing to spend a couple minutes figuring out which is the best eyepiece to frame a target.

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 473

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics