Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1
REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Clear skies....for a while:) new
      #5562079 - 12/09/12 09:45 AM

It's been overcast for the week mostly, but had a small break in them last night shortly after sunset. Took out my grab 'go 80ED for some quick looks of the Eastern sky, Taurus, Pleiades area and of course Jupiter. Not bad skies and pretty good detail on Jupiter. So, I decided to bring out my other grab scope, 5" MAK and let it cool down while back in for dinner.

Well the sky really was dark now and the seeing was very good. Io was just slipping behind the disk. Had really nice banding on Jupiter at 90x in my 80mm. Switched over to 110x and then 150x on the MAK and the views of Jupiter where one of the best I have ever seen!

Sure is nice to have Jupiter so big this year and also reside in a rich star-field as well. Winds and clouds where staring to come back in, so finished with M42 with the trap.

Overall, an enjoying short evening as the predictions were for clouds all night.

Clear Skies to all:)

Bob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Clear skies....for a while:) new [Re: REC]
      #5563683 - 12/10/12 07:55 AM

Way to go, Bob!

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Clear skies....for a while:) [Re: REC]
      #5563884 - 12/10/12 10:15 AM

Bob, nice report! Glad you got some scope time!

REC
Post Laureate

Re: Clear skies....for a while:) new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5563990 - 12/10/12 11:30 AM

Yeah, this is one of the best times of year to be observing for me. Sun goes down at 5pm. no bugs or humidity to deal with and Cygnus and Lyra areas are still viewable. Then go to the east sky and all the other great clusters,
nebuals and planets are there to feast on!

Bob

galexand
sage

Reged: 07/10/12

Loc: Bloomington Indiana
Re: Clear skies....for a while:) new [Re: REC]
      #5567281 - 12/12/12 10:24 AM

I'm a little jealous...it's finally clear here but for whatever reason the seeing last night wouldn't really support better than 75x on jupiter. Lots of movement. I split Castor and could see the "twinkle" from the atmosphere was as large as the gap between them.

On the other hand, like you, I've really been enjoying how close Jupiter is to Hyades et al! For the past couple months I have been using Jupiter as the jumping off point for hopping around Auriga and Taurus. So still good stuff to look at.

MrJones
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/15/10

Loc: Indiana
Re: Clear skies....for a while:) new [Re: galexand]
      #5567518 - 12/12/12 12:44 PM

Grats on a good night REC and hello fellow Hoosier! Last night made up for a lot of bad nights for me from Bloomington. The LT6 performed nicely and the Z12 was spectacular after cooling with the fan for 2 hours. Jupiter at 120x with the 12.5mm BGO was best ever for me with S and N temperate features nicely visible and swirls in the big belts. M31, M32 and M110 all in the 34mm SWA together was best ever with end to end Andromeda and I could finally imagine some detail in M33. It was too cold to stay out long for the new wimpy me but I got the binocs out later for the same objects + Orion.

REC
Post Laureate

Re: Clear skies....for a while:) new [Re: MrJones]
      #5567616 - 12/12/12 01:45 PM

Good for you:) Looking forward to a clear night tomorrow to check out all my favorite objects this time of year and watch some meteors

Bob

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 402

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics