Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1
hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

Reged: 05/02/07

Loc: Hong Kong, US
Hubble UL18 Ultra Light Dob (with DSC and GoTo)
      #5563893 - 12/10/12 10:23 AM Attachment (149 downloads)

Hubble UL18 Premium Ultra Light and Ultra Portable Truss Dobsonian System with Wireless Digital Setting Circle and GOTO option, at a very affordable price: $3695

Please note that this price does not include the wireless DSC or GOTO system.

Hubble UL18 Premium Dobsonian telescope is optimized to offer you high-quality, large-aperture telescopes designed in a very light and compact package for extreme portability. With a Hubble UL18, you are free to travel to your favorite dark-sky sites anywhere across the globe!

-A quantum leap in portable performance: The UL 18 Truss Dobsonian telescope's huge 18" diameter primary mirror gathers over 5 times more light than popular 8" reflectors or more than twice the light grasp of a 12" telescope.

-A Premium, Light, Compact and Portable Design: About one third the weight of the traditional Dobsonian telescopes

-Outstanding Images: Premium quality, diffraction limited (with Strehl 0.95+) Newtonian optical systems will deliver stunning views of the heavens from dark sky sites

-Light, Strong, Compact and Extremely Portable: The Hubble UL18 features a precision-machined all-metal construction. Fully assembled the UL18 weighs at about 72 pounds. It has 8 rigid truss tubes and extremely strong and portable folding ALT bearing structure. It features a real box for safe and convenient mirror protection, storage and transportation

-Exclusive Optical Technology : The UL18 features Hubble lightweight sandwich mirror with an optimized thermal design that cools up to 10 times faster than the regular solid mirrors

-The UL18 has a parabolic primary with a full 18-inch diameter of optical surface, a generous 18.4" overall diameter; not an 18-inch blank with a beveled and much smaller optical surface, which is about 5% more optical surface and light gathering than any other 18" scopes in the market.

-Semi-Enhanced Coating on the Primary Mirror : The most recommended (by professionals) 92% Semi-Enhanced Coating on the primary mirror and 96% Enhanced coating on the secondary mirror.

-Modular and Compact Design: The Hubble UL18 is delivered in several preassembled modules. The entire systems can be assembled easily and quickly, as little as a few minutes.

$1847.50 deposit at the order time, rest plus S&H before delivery. The delivery time is about 60 days.

Features of the UL18:

Exclusive Sandwich Mirror Technology: The UL18 features Hubble's lightweight sandwich mirror with an optimized thermal design that cools up to 10 times faster than regular solid mirrors. Our sandwich mirror technology is used in research-grade optical applications by NASA, California State Polytechnic University San Luis Obispo, the US Army, as well as in amateur telescopes around the world.

Hubble sandwich mirrors open core and close back design not only allows air to circulate through the mirror, but also provide the maximum structure strength to allow a simpler mirror cell design. Our sandwich mirror will reach thermal equilibrium up to 10 times faster than a traditional solid 18-inch mirror and means the mirror can deliver great views even as the air around the telescope is changing temperature.

A real mirror cell in a real mirror box: The UL18 has an extensively modeled and optimized 18-point flotation system that provides more than adequate support for the sandwich mirror. The three-point Push-Pull collimation system is completely independent from the sling lateral support. It will totally eliminate the often-found potato chip astigmatism introduced by sling belt when using the simple 3 pivoted bolts collimation system. In a simple pivoted bolts collimation system, the collimation of the primary mirror may cause the sling belt to pull the mirror axially on the mirror edge, bending the mirror to a potato-chip shape, causing annoying astigmatism. It also comes with a real mirror box for easy and safe mirror protection and transporation.

All Metal Construction: The UL18 mechanical structures have been extensively modeled via 3D CAD and advanced FEA to provide the optimal structure strength and stability. Machined with Computer Numerical Control (CNC) technology and hand fitted to assure proper fit and finish. Completed with deluxe and environmentally friendly black powder coating, it is such a pleasure to look at, not to mention the enjoyment to look through.

Dual-Speed 2-inch Linear Drive Crayford Focuser: The Hubble UL18 comes with a precision dual-speed, 2-inch diameter focuser. It's a beautiful piece of precision machining that enhances the viewing experience as well as the overall impression of a premium quality instrument you'll have with this telescope. This focuser is robust! It is a zero-backlash "Crayford-style" design further enhanced with modern "linear bearings" meaning you get a rock-solid, super smooth focusing experience that can handle the weight of even the heaviest of modern eyepieces. Its tension, the pressure on the drawtube, is preset to a very reasonable level, but adjustable to lock heavy equipment in place if desired. The smaller brass focus control adjusts focus at a rate 10 times finer than the larger focus wheels. This fine adjustment allows for critical focusing during high power visual observing or for imaging applications. The focuser has 50mm of travel distance.

State-of-the-art Wireless Digital Setting Circle option:
Breakthrough Wireless Digital Setting Circle with revolutionary high resolution, lower power consumption ball bearing encoders at an inconceivable special price of $149 when ordered with UL18. Combined with Sky Safari (on Android), it is the most powerful wireless Digital Setting Circle in the world, at inconceivable price. Skysafari (Pro) features 15.3 million stars, 740,000 galaxies, and 550,000 solar system objects - including all the comets and asteroids ever discovered.

State-of-the-art GoTo option:
The professional grade SiTech controller combined with the revolutionary SkySafari will more than double your enjoyment and fun with the Heavens; you simply touch the sky. It is the most powerful GOTO system at an extremely affordable price; there is no comparison, period.

Specifications:

Optical design : Reflector
Optical diameter : 457.2mm
Focal length : 1850mm
Focal ratio : f/4.0
Optics type : Parabolic
Eyepieces: Not included
Optical quality : Diffraction limited++ (Strehl 0.95+ for the Primary, 1/10 lambada or for the secondary mirror)
Finder scope : Not included
Focuser : 2" dual-speed linear bearing Crayford
Secondary mirror obstruction : 90 mm
Secondary mirror obstruction by diameter : 19.7%
Secondary mirror obstruction by area : 3.9%
Mirror coatings/over-coatings : 92% Semi-Enhanced Aluminum coating on the primary and 96% Enhanced coating on the secondary mirror
Materials : Aluminum Alloy (T6063-T6) tube with black stainless steel knob screws, T6061-T6 Main structure, Structure Steel mirror cell
Length of optical tube : 71.5 in.
Weight, optical tube : 62 lbs.
Weight, fully assembled : 72 lbs.
Additional, optional accessories : 8x50 Finder, Shroud, Wheelbarrow, Vinyl foam Cushioned Grips
Other features : Sling lateral support and deluxe push-pull brass knob collimation screws

http://hubbleoptics.com/UL18.html

Edited by hubble-optics (12/10/12 10:24 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mnijilmf2
journeyman

Reged: 06/28/08

Re: Hubble UL18 Ultra Light Dob (with DSC and GoTo) new [Re: hubble-optics]
      #5564955 - 12/10/12 09:40 PM

Just ordered one and will review once receive and setup

John

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

Re: Hubble UL18 Ultra Light Dob (with DSC and GoTo) new [Re: mnijilmf2]
      #5565788 - 12/11/12 11:46 AM

Hi John,

Thank you so much! It should not take too long, we have a few 18" f/4 mirrors almost ready.

-Tong

mnijilmf2
journeyman

#5568270 - 12/12/12 08:59 PM

Tong,

You have been very responsive to all my preorder questions and I'm very anxious to get my hands on the scope and to try out the GoTo feature as well. Thanks again

John

mnijilmf2
journeyman

#5718850 - 03/07/13 05:09 PM

Update: I was notified yesterday that the UL18 is ready to be shipped. I'll post to this thread with the details of my journey.

mnijilmf2
journeyman

#5793162 - 04/11/13 07:47 PM

Ok, mirror arrived three weeks ago and scope arrived today. I will be going thru the motions this weekend so stand by.

John

darthwyll

Reged: 03/29/10

Loc: Southeast Texas
      #5824031 - 04/26/13 10:31 AM

Any luck?

Stephen S
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/21/07

Loc: Carmel, IN
Re: Hubble UL18 Ultra Light Dob (with DSC and GoTo) new [Re: darthwyll]
      #5841883 - 05/05/13 03:32 PM

Very interested in this review.

Thanks! Steve S

Tenorotti1
journeyman

Reged: 01/03/11

Re: Hubble UL18 Ultra Light Dob (with DSC and GoTo) new [Re: Stephen S]
      #5988270 - 07/24/13 06:31 PM

So how good is it?

Tenorotti1
journeyman

Reged: 01/03/11

Re: Hubble UL18 Ultra Light Dob (with DSC and GoTo) new [Re: Stephen S]
      #5988271 - 07/24/13 06:31 PM

So how good is it?

Chaz659
sage

Reged: 12/08/12

Loc: Islip, NY
Re: Hubble UL18 Ultra Light Dob (with DSC and GoTo) new [Re: Tenorotti1]
      #6157667 - 10/25/13 03:21 PM

Was there ever a reply? A first light or review of the scope?

mattyfatz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/27/06

Loc: Boise Idaho
Re: Hubble UL18 Ultra Light Dob (with DSC and GoTo) new [Re: Chaz659]
      #6182329 - 11/08/13 06:32 AM

...guess not

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

Re: Hubble UL18 Ultra Light Dob (with DSC and GoTo) new [Re: mattyfatz]
      #6220254 - 11/27/13 08:29 PM

We have received many excellent feedbacks on UL18 from our customers, you may take a look at the discussion on Relector forum, there are some feedback there too:
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=reflectors...

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

#6220285 - 11/27/13 08:49 PM

We have just introduced our UL18 f/4.5 at an amazing introduction price of $2995:

http://hubbleoptics.com/UL18.html

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3148

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics