Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: BLISS in St.Helens ?! new [Re: Live_Steam_Mad]
      #6273359 - 12/26/13 10:14 AM

Well from just outside Hailsham (just north of Eastbourne) the northern sky (which is where London is about 40 miles north) definately orange. Also to the south the sky is orange where Eastbourne is. No north south divide wrt to sky colour in my experience in East Sussex.

Be aware that your eye's colour receptors (cones) cease to function below a certain brightness threshold and your dim light black/white receptors (rods) take over, then the sky will look some shade of grey.

Your friend should put a camera on a tripod and run a 30 second exposure of the sky to determine the actual sky colour. Human eyes are not good devices for colour measurment under dim light conditions.

Btw the Hailsham location is about 4 miles from Herstmonceux which was the old Royal Observatory site. The orange skies are one of the reasons it was closed down and the scopes moved to the Canary Islands

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
margin_walker
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/25/05

Loc: Nr Waterfoot, England.
Re: BLISS in St.Helens ?! new [Re: Tonk]
      #6312766 - 01/14/14 04:57 PM

I live about 40 miles away from St. Helens and have good skies but can see the light domes from Bolton and Manchester if I climb high enough up the hills. You can use the freedom of information act to obtain for free any recorded information from your council such as current and future lighting plans, reports, minutes of meetings where lighting has been discussed - everything that might answer any of the questions you currently have. It costs nothing but the time you take to write the email and the council have a legal obligation to provide within 20 working days any information they hold. There are some exemptions they can apply to refuse disclosure but not many that would apply to this type of information. I spend 2 days a week dealing with this aspect of law so if you want to know more send me a PM.

Live_Steam_Mad
sage

Reged: 07/24/07

Loc: Moss Bank, St.Helens, England
Re: BLISS in St.Helens ?! new [Re: margin_walker]
      #6449417 - 04/05/14 05:29 PM

Well if it wasn't already bad enough for observing to the South from here, it just got a whole lot worse .

A skybeam appeared last night and it's there tonight also. I have just e-mailed my local St.Helens Star newspaper and I have just written a note to Environmental Protection at St.Helens Council about this ;-

I would like to bring to your attention the skybeam that has appeared over the South of St.Helens over the last two
nights. Last night (4th April 2014) at approx. 10 pm I was observing through my telescope in my back yard when
I noticed a dancing set of white light beams over in the South direction from where I live, about 45 degrees up in the
sky and with a very large spread (about 30 degrees from left to right) and quite bright, the beams were moving
constantly over a large area of the sky. I also saw the very same lights / skybeam in the same place tonight at 9:30pm.

I don't know who is responsible for this but I thought that projecting dancing lights into the sky was outlawed on
Enviromental Grounds (the reason that I am contacting you) or illegal and at the very least it adds to the already
frankly terrible Light Pollution problem that the town centre of St.Helens has (the night sky is very bright orange tonight
although it's cloudy admittedly).

Also on a personal level I VERY strongly object to the use of the natural night sky being used for these
local "advertising" purposes.

At least the skybeam seemed to be switched off at midnight, but for people who want to enjoy the view of the sky
earlier in the evening it is a BLIGHT.

I would like to know a) what / who is responsible for this problem and b) what steps your department is going
to take to tackle this issue.

PS on another note, I would like to congratulate you for your efforts on the local street lighting in Queensway,
the FULL CUT OFF lights (fully glare shielded) are excellent and are very pleasing. Well done. I find the
road now to be easier to drive down since the lights are not all brightly glaring into my eyes simulateously
and it also does not needlessly waste energy and light up the natural environment of the night sky.

Yours Sincerely,
-----------------------

I tried walking up to the top of our hill with a camera and set of binoculars to see if I could see the source of the offending local skybeam but it was obscured and it appears to be emanating from the town centre or maybe Sutton Manor (I suspect the Dream sculpture, they tried and failed to get permission for a skybeam type thing a few years ago and the Highways Agency objected on road safety grounds - it would distract drivers on the local M62 motorway).

Well this sucks.

Regards,

Alistair G.

Edited by Live_Steam_Mad (04/05/14 05:32 PM)

richard7Moderator
Not Quite

Reged: 11/02/07

Loc: Sacramento
Re: BLISS in St.Helens ?! new [Re: Live_Steam_Mad]
      #6449866 - 04/05/14 10:32 PM

I remember those lights being all over the place in almost every town across the U.S.
You rarely see one now-a-days and I'm so glad.
I hope they take note of it over there.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3594

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics