Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: Missisauga, Canada
Re: First Light On My 20" f/3 Lockwood/JP Astrocraft new [Re: Bob S.]
      #5558884 - 12/07/12 09:21 AM

Typically, large aperture reflectors tend to look bigger in photos where people are standing beside it and you're able to get a better sense of scale.

I think this is the first time I've seen a picture of a 20" where it actually appears SMALLER with people standing beside it. That is one short dob - I love short dobs

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
Re: First Light On My 20" f/3 Lockwood/JP Astrocraft new [Re: tezster]
      #5559430 - 12/07/12 02:43 PM

I'm really enjoying this build. It's pushing the state of the art and making future builds ever better. If I live long enough and keep my health, I'd sure like to get one like it. Ladders and darkness don't go well together.

fnowat

Reged: 06/12/12

Loc: N.E. Illinois (Chicago suburbs...
Re: First Light On My 20" f/3 Lockwood/JP Astrocraft new [Re: audioaficionado]
      #5560192 - 12/07/12 11:55 PM

Hey, you listed John, Bob, Bob, and Mike...but who is the other un-named in the photo trying to get some attention?

Mike Lockwood
Vendor, Lockwood Custom Optics

Reged: 10/01/07

Loc: Usually in my optical shop
Re: First Light On My 20" f/3 Lockwood/JP Astrocraft new [Re: fnowat]
      #5560290 - 12/08/12 01:26 AM

Quote:

Hey, you listed John, Bob, Bob, and Mike...but who is the other un-named in the photo trying to get some attention?

That would be Lucky, the attention-seeking dog.

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/05

Re: First Light On My 20" f/3 Lockwood/JP Astrocraft new [Re: Mike Lockwood]
      #5560859 - 12/08/12 01:05 PM Attachment (93 downloads)

John P. completed the removable front fan with controller as part of the CBLMS (Comprehensive Boundary Layer Mitigation System). Doesn't the CBLMS just roll off your tongue<g>. Anyway, he went to a higher strength wire than originally spec'd and routed the power cables for the fan in the inside diameter of the ring and then out to the attach point on the top of the mirror box. The speed controller was placed in the corner where the power supply is. The fan is designed to be lifted up when collimating the scope and then resides in the shadow of the secondary during periods of operation. As mentioned earlier, the "strings" for the fan are coincident with the secondary spider vanes and will not add additional diffraction spikes.

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5560866 - 12/08/12 01:08 PM Attachment (74 downloads)

The fan speed controller is conventiently located on the top of the mirror box for easy access. There is no doubt that the regulation of the front and back fans will require a learning curve to coordinate the scope needs with the varying temperature conditions that the scope will be operating in. This is a picture of the variable fan speed controller which is the same kind that is controlling the rear fan and that controller is accessible from the back of the mirror box. You can see the detail of the capture clips that are designed to hold the fan unit in place and the mirror cover above the fan when installed.

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: First Light On My 20" f/3 Lockwood/JP Astrocraft new [Re: tezster]
      #5562983 - 12/09/12 07:02 PM Attachment (90 downloads)

Quote:

Typically, large aperture reflectors tend to look bigger in photos where people are standing beside it and you're able to get a better sense of scale.

I think this is the first time I've seen a picture of a 20" where it actually appears SMALLER with people standing beside it. That is one short dob - I love short dobs

Terence, When John Pratte was in the early stages of testing the scope, he had it out and his wife took a picture of him next to the scope in the daylight. This will give you a better perspective of how a 20" f/3 can look with an ep height at zenith of 62". It will definetly be primarily a sit-down scope.

Edited by Bob S. (12/09/12 07:07 PM)

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: First Light On My 20" f/3 Lockwood/JP Astrocraft [Re: Bob S.]
      #5566230 - 12/11/12 04:23 PM Attachment (77 downloads)

Well, We continue to get closer and closer to completion. The control center cover has been constructed out of .040 aluminum and only weighs a couple of pounds. John temporarily used sheet metal screws to prove the final concept and after painting the shield inside/out it will be ready for final pop rivets. The inside of the control center shield will be lined with cork to prevent any sweating inside of the aluminum housing. John made the shield such that any water/dew accumulating on the outside of the shield will drip free of the internal components housed in the shield as well as the telescope innards.

Edited by Bob S. (12/11/12 06:58 PM)

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5575537 - 12/17/12 11:18 AM Attachment (82 downloads)

John Pratte at JP Astrocraft in Illinois and I gave birth to a strapping 20" f/3 baby boy this weekend. At least that is how it felt after the telescope completed its Autocal sequences of the ServoCat system. This is a shout out for the principal figures in the build in the following order: God, creator of everything; John Pratte, owner of JP Astrocraft; Mike Lockwood, owner of Lockwood Custom Optics, Gary Myers, owner of StellarCat/ServoCat; and my wife for putting up with my dreams (this one is out of the order). Here is a picture of the completed scope in the shop prior to taking it home.

Edited by Bob S. (12/17/12 01:35 PM)

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5575539 - 12/17/12 11:21 AM Attachment (72 downloads)

Here is a picture of the control panel/hood. The laptop has a warming pad from Kendrick that gently keeps the screen from dewing up. The control panel is cork-lined with a controller for the dew heater, wired and wireless handcontrollers and an Argo Navis tilted to get the best ergonomics. The orange dew heater actually is placed behind the laptop screen to keep it warm and not underneath the computer as is depicted.

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5575543 - 12/17/12 11:24 AM Attachment (71 downloads)

Here is a picture of the successful computer control of the Mallincam Extreme through the telescope's internal wiring to the Mallincam.

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5575546 - 12/17/12 11:26 AM Attachment (67 downloads)

Here is a another shop picture of the scope with me at the controls of this rocket ship.

Edited by Bob S. (12/17/12 11:26 AM)

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5575549 - 12/17/12 11:28 AM Attachment (85 downloads)

And lastly, this is an overall picture of the scope including the control center, etc. The only design features we did not incorporate were a weather station positioned on top of the hood and a piston-actuated servo-controlled viewing chair that would move in unison with the telescope's eyepiece position. Those features will have to wait for the next iteration from the JP Astrocraft/Schilling skunkworks

The telescope has three seperate wiring systems incorporated into the build that include: the ServoCat/Argo Navis/computer; the Mallicam control isolated to reduce/prevent radio frequency interference with/and from the dew control systems. The only batteries on the scope are in the Telrad. Everything else is powered by only one 12v power cable coming into one of the two powered-groundboard recepticles. No dangling wires to trip on and a very clean design.

Edited by Bob S. (12/17/12 03:02 PM)

jwheel
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Davis TX
      #5575580 - 12/17/12 11:52 AM

Nice looking telescope Bob!

Joe Wheelock

Mike Lockwood
Vendor, Lockwood Custom Optics

Reged: 10/01/07

Loc: Usually in my optical shop
      #5575584 - 12/17/12 11:54 AM

Quote:

The only design features we did not incorporate were a weather station positioned on top of the hood and a piston-actuated servo-controlled viewing chair that would move in unison with the telescope's eyepiece position. Those features will have to wait for the next iteration from the JP Astrocraft/Schilling skunkworks

I hear those features will be incorporated into the 40" version.....

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: Missisauga, Canada
      #5575658 - 12/17/12 12:47 PM

Quote:

the Mallincam control isolated to reduce/prevent radio frequency interference.

Radio frequency interference from what? The telescope picking up extra-terrestrial broadcasts from deep space?

Howie Glatter
Vendor

Reged: 07/04/06

#5575746 - 12/17/12 01:42 PM

"John Pratte at JP Astrocraft in Illinois and I gave birth to a strapping 20" f/3 baby boy this weekend."

How did you know it was a boy ? Ultrasound ?

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

#5576070 - 12/17/12 05:16 PM

Quote:

John Pratte at JP Astrocraft in Illinois and I gave birth to a strapping 20" f/3 baby boy this weekend. At least that is how it felt after the telescope completed its Autocal sequences of the ServoCat system. This is a shout out for the principal figures in the build in the following order: God, creator of everything; John Pratte, owner of JP Astrocraft; Mike Lockwood, owner of Lockwood Custom Optics, Gary Myers, owner of StellarCat/ServoCat; and my wife for putting up with my dreams (this one is out of the order). Here is a picture of the completed scope in the shop prior to taking it home.

That is one beautiful scope. You'll have to come up with a name for your "baby boy"!

starman345
Wait, I'm Thinking

Reged: 07/06/10

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: First Light On My 20" f/3 Lockwood/JP Astrocraft [Re: turtle86]
      #5576081 - 12/17/12 05:21 PM

Beautiful telescope Bob. Looks like you designed in the best of everything.

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: First Light On My 20" f/3 Lockwood/JP Astrocraft [Re: Howie Glatter]
      #5576410 - 12/17/12 08:56 PM

Quote:

"John Pratte at JP Astrocraft in Illinois and I gave birth to a strapping 20" f/3 baby boy this weekend."

How did you know it was a boy ? Ultrasound ?

Howie, Didn't you notice the long stalk? That's how we sexed it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17885

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics