Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
Re: Bound and determined : Horsehead thru a ten..BUT.. new [Re: ensign]
      #5550861 - 12/02/12 07:12 PM

Maybe a Titan-II ED 40mm if you can find one used.

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KidOrion
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/07/07

Loc: Carbondale, IL
Re: Bound and determined : Horsehead thru a ten..BUT.. new [Re: rannoch]
      #5550867 - 12/02/12 07:19 PM

Quote:

Hi David

Perhaps a Televue 40mm 1.25" Plossl and a 2" Televue 55" Plossl?

Or even a Meade 4000 Series 56mm Super Plossl Eyepiece 2"

A lot cheaper

An easy way to figure out what you need would be to plug your scope/eyepiece stats into an Eyepiece Calculator that computes exit pupils (among other things). Useful to have!

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: Bound and determined : Horsehead thru a ten..BUT.. new [Re: KidOrion]
      #5551782 - 12/03/12 10:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi David

Perhaps a Televue 40mm 1.25" Plossl and a 2" Televue 55" Plossl?

Or even a Meade 4000 Series 56mm Super Plossl Eyepiece 2"

A lot cheaper

An easy way to figure out what you need would be to plug your scope/eyepiece stats into an Eyepiece Calculator that computes exit pupils (among other things). Useful to have!

It would seam to me that it would be best to learn the formula. Then you could figure it in your head when you did not have access to a Eyepiece Calculator. It is really simple to calculate the exit pupil for any eyepiece.

Exit Pupil= eyepiece focal length/telescope focal ratio

Example: a 40mm eyepiece with a f/10 SCT = 4mm exit pupil

Edited by Erix (12/03/12 11:24 PM)

kansas skies
sage

Reged: 12/02/12

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: Bound and determined : Horsehead thru a ten..BUT.. new [Re: blb]
      #5555973 - 12/05/12 04:48 PM

Although I've never seen the actual horsehead form, I have been able to make out some structure in the surrounding nebulosity with a 4" refractor from my rural community (yellow zone) by slowly moving the scope back and forth with the manual declination control. I read somewhere that it's easier to see faint details in nebulous objects if the field is in motion and found that it actually does work - Bill.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
Re: Bound and determined : Horsehead thru a ten..BUT.. new [Re: kansas skies]
      #5555990 - 12/05/12 04:56 PM

Good idea. I've used that trick to detect faint galaxies and see some structure in them.

Mike

RolandosCY

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus
Re: Bound and determined : Horsehead thru a ten..BUT.. [Re: RolandosCY]
      #5567901 - 12/12/12 04:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The brightness of IC434 is similar to that of the Veil.

I beg to differ. It must be considerably fainter. The Veil (eastern half) is easy as pie in any of my telescopes, even unfiltered, but I've never seen a hint of IC 434, despite looking for it on some very good nights in the past.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Hmmm. I meant the unfiltered view. Then again, I don't usually check both on the same night.

Hmmm... Finally last night I had a chancve to test my above statement. Under SQM 21.04 (steady!) skies I had The Veil and IC 434 at approximately similar altitude - neither very high. Case is settled: Under similar conditions, in my 18", the Veil (all main segments) were considerably brighter than IC434. My previous statement was gloriously toppled! I guess the fact that by late October I rarely check the Veil and I don't normally bother for the HH until mid December created somehow in my mind the illusion that the unfiltered view of the Veil was similar to that of IC434. No chance. Without filter the Veil was readily visible with direct vision and with structure visible, and in the 31mm Nagler with UHC it became a superbly detailed object. On the other hand, IC 434 was barely visible with averted vision in unfiltered views (provided Zeta Orionis was not in the filed). With the 31mm Nagler and UHC, IC434 was visible with direct vision (including an ill-defined horsehead!) provided Zeta Orionis was kept out of the field. The UHC-filtered view of IC434 was considerably fainter than the unfiltered view of either Veil segment. Adding a H-Beta filter made IC434 more obvious, but still not as bright as unfiltered Veil views.

In another important aspect, I did check the HH visibility with two different eyepieces that gave me a similar true field of view: The TV Ethos 13mm (158x) and the TV Panoptic 19mm (108x), both providing a 0.63-degree TFOV. Using the H-Beta filter, the Horsehead was clearly visible in both eyepieces, but the Panoptic gave a much better, more 3-D view and dare I say, it provided a more detailed image of the HH (the "snout" was more pointy and overall more visible). The Ethos 13 is giving me a 2.9mm exit pupil, while the Panoptic 19 is giving me a 4.2mm exit pupil. The image difference was confirmed by the two astrobuddies who were there with me. So, at least under the good conditions we have had last night, the eyepiece that gave the greatyer exit pupil gave the best image!

Dave MitskyModerator
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Bound and determined : Horsehead thru a ten..BUT.. new [Re: RolandosCY]
      #5571869 - 12/15/12 12:48 AM

I had a rather nice view of B33 last night through an H-beta filtered 22" f/3.6 SDM Dob and a 21mm Ethos.

Dave Mitsky

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: Bound and determined : Horsehead thru a ten..BUT.. new [Re: kansas skies]
      #5572192 - 12/15/12 09:05 AM

Quote:

Although I've never seen the actual horsehead form, I have been able to make out some structure in the surrounding nebulosity with a 4" refractor from my rural community (yellow zone) by slowly moving the scope back and forth with the manual declination control. I read somewhere that it's easier to see faint details in nebulous objects if the field is in motion and found that it actually does work - Bill.

Yep. Even just tapping the scope sometimes can make a difference. I want to say I read somewhere that this works because the eye can see things better when there is motion involved of whatever target we are trying to see.

northernontario
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/01/09

Loc: Porcupine, Ontario Canada
Re: Bound and determined : Horsehead thru a ten..BUT.. new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5572542 - 12/15/12 12:44 PM

I have been after the Horsehead for a few years now. No luck thus far.

I don't like to say I almost saw it....but that was the situation last week. Following all the advice that I have recieved on here over the years, I first found the Flame Nebula. Faint but definitely visible. I then went to Alnitak, and started to follow the faint nebula down to HP 26756, and that's where I loose it. I switched between my Oiii and omega NPB and even tried the light pollution filter, but to no avail. No matter. There are some very pretty clusters and stars in that area.

jake

BillFerris
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/17/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: Bound and determined : Horsehead thru a ten..BUT.. new [Re: northernontario]
      #5572569 - 12/15/12 01:01 PM

A true OIII filter renders IC 434 invisible in any aperture. I'm not familiar with the passband characteristics of the Omega NPB. An H-beta is your best filter option to enhance IC 434 and, by extension, make B33 (the Horsehead nebula) more obvious to the eye. A UHC offers modest enhancement. An OIII will make it virtually impossible to observe this object.

Good luck with your pursuit of the Horsehead.

Bill in Flag

Quote:

I don't like to say I almost saw it....but that was the situation last week. Following all the advice that I have recieved on here over the years, I first found the Flame Nebula. Faint but definitely visible. I then went to Alnitak, and started to follow the faint nebula down to HP 26756, and that's where I loose it. I switched between my Oiii and omega NPB and even tried the light pollution filter, but to no avail. No matter. There are some very pretty clusters and stars in that area.

jake

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Bound and determined : Horsehead thru a ten..BUT.. new [Re: BillFerris]
      #5572651 - 12/15/12 01:55 PM

Quote:

A true OIII filter renders IC 434 invisible in any aperture. I'm not familiar with the passband characteristics of the Omega NPB. An H-beta is your best filter option to enhance IC 434 and, by extension, make B33 (the Horsehead nebula) more obvious to the eye. A UHC offers modest enhancement. An OIII will make it virtually impossible to observe this object.

Good luck with your pursuit of the Horsehead.

Bill in Flag

Quote:

jake

The DGM Optics NPB filter is a narrow-band nebula filter with characteristics similar to the Lumicon UHC. The NPB has a very slightly narrower primary passband than the UHC, passing both the H-Beta and OIII lines at high transmission, along with a deep-red secondary passband. I have seen the Horsehead numerous times with the NPB filter, although it remains quite faint and somewhat marginal. The view in the H-Beta filter is quite a bit better in terms of contrast however. Clear skies to you.

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: Bound and determined : Horsehead thru a ten..BUT.. new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5572743 - 12/15/12 03:13 PM

The OIII filter will NOT work at all, a UHC filter will help some, I will leave the NPB filter to David, He knows and I have never used one. But let's get real here. NO ONE sees B33, it is dust and/or gas between us and IC434 that blocks our seeing IC434. So what you see is the absence of the nebula IC434 that is shaped like a horse head seen in silhouette. What you are trying to do is see the very faint nebula around the absence of the nebula because you can't see B33. If you are having trouble seeing IC434 you will never see the silhouette.

BillFerris
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/17/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: Bound and determined : Horsehead thru a ten..BUT.. new [Re: blb]
      #5572832 - 12/15/12 04:25 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say no one sees B33. In my 18 inch, B33 presents as an inky blackness in the form of a horse's head seen in profile. It's an obviously deeper black than the charcoal hue of the sky to the east. This is generally true of dark nebulae. They display a genuine inky blackness in contrast to the naturally lighter hue of the nigth sky.

Bill in Flag

Quote:

The OIII filter will NOT work at all, a UHC filter will help some, I will leave the NPB filter to David, He knows and I have never used one. But let's get real here. NO ONE sees B33, it is dust and/or gas between us and IC434 that blocks our seeing IC434. So what you see is the absence of the nebula IC434 that is shaped like a horse head seen in silhouette. What you are trying to do is see the very faint nebula around the absence of the nebula because you can't see B33. If you are having trouble seeing IC434 you will never see the silhouette.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4525

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics