Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Scout92

Reged: 12/20/11

Loc: Hoquiam, WA.
First...first light!
      #5568702 - 12/13/12 06:00 AM

Well I got in my first first light tonight, with my 4.5 newt, not sure what I was looking at just pointed the scope at Orion for a bit and then to a star (?) above and to the right a bit of Orion (only constillation other than the dippers I can clearly identify for now ) it was very bright and looked to have three trailing stars. I think it was Aldebaran fromnlooking at the sky wheel but not sure about the trailing stars. Either way I am officially hooked! I need to learn how to work the EQ mount that's for sure but it willnbe fun doing so! Sad that I waited so long to get started but I'm here now! Clears skies everyone!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CJK
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: Northeast TN
Re: First...first light! new [Re: Scout92]
      #5568730 - 12/13/12 06:53 AM

Congratulations! Like you, I am still learning my way around the sky, and nothing is particularly obvious to me yet. A good target in Orion is the Great Nebula at the bottom of his sword: it's bright and easy to find, and it gave me a real feeling of accomplishment (and awe) when I was able to find it in my binoculars.

-- Chris

Scout92

Re: First...first light! new [Re: CJK]
      #5568751 - 12/13/12 07:19 AM

I tried to find that nebula however we we had a low ground fog so all I see was up high. Hoping for some more clear weather in the coming week.

Dave74
sage

Reged: 10/23/12

Loc: Gelatinous, MA
      #5568755 - 12/13/12 07:21 AM

Congrats!

That was probably Jupiter you were looking at. And the trailing stars were moons.

CJK
professor emeritus

Re: First...first light! new [Re: Dave74]
      #5568805 - 12/13/12 08:23 AM

The (free) Stellarium software is really helpful in planning an observing session: you can look at what's going to be visible from your location at any given time, and you can practice "star hopping" to find your way around. Unfortunately, it doesn't print star charts -- for that, you need something else like Starry Night or TheSkyX.

If you have an iPhone or Android phone, you can take an electronic star chart with you. There are numerous options, but the two I use are Hidden Sky (actually a "virtual reality" app which lets you point your iPhone at the sky and figure out what you're looking at -- it's like magic!) and Sky Safari (like a portable Stellarium).

-- Chris

jfaust75
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/04/11

Loc: Central Florida
      #5568819 - 12/13/12 08:39 AM

aldebaron is a red star (yuoud know if you were looking at it)so id assume it was Jupiter which is in that area right now near aldebaron(it has four visible moons that orbit it)

cjohnson21

Reged: 02/16/11

Loc: Puyallup, WA
      #5568821 - 12/13/12 08:40 AM

I too am a fellow Washingtonian. Damn clouds have been around forever! At least you got some viewing in recently. I went out last night to see if I could see any of the meteors starting and nope, all clouds. Congrats to first light! It's pretty amazing. Keep looking up and clear skies!

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: First...first light! new [Re: cjohnson21]
      #5568833 - 12/13/12 08:47 AM

Great first light. It is easy to get hooked isn't it. We have had clouds and rain here for over a week. No matter as I didn't have much time for viewing.
Look forward to hearing more of viewing. And yeah that was Jupiter with the four moons. Right now besides the moon it's the only thing shining through the clouds.

Edited by newtoskies (12/13/12 08:48 AM)

BoriSpider
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/04

Loc: S.W.FLA
Re: First...first light! new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5568865 - 12/13/12 09:23 AM

Cartes du Ciel is another great star chart program that's free.
You can print star charts w/this one.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
      #5568902 - 12/13/12 09:59 AM

Quote:

Congrats!

That was probably Jupiter you were looking at. And the trailing stars were moons.

Maybe you were looking at Aldebaran . I was thinking if he saw Jupiter its obvious at pretty much any magnification that its not a star.. But.. It does fit he description used.. Anyhow have fun!! I was checking out Orion Nebula through some misty sky last night and it was still pretty decent!! See if you can lookup on a star chart how to find that one before or during your next night out, it's worth the effort.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #5568905 - 12/13/12 10:01 AM

Chris...I just looked at the website for the Hidden Sky and looks pretty cool!

bob

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: First...first light! new [Re: REC]
      #5568910 - 12/13/12 10:03 AM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights and have fun with your new scope. Lot's to see right now!

bob

jfaust75
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/04/11

Loc: Central Florida
      #5568913 - 12/13/12 10:04 AM

Quote:

Well I got in my first first light tonight, with my 4.5 newt, not sure what I was looking at just pointed the scope at Orion for a bit and then to a star (?) above and to the right a bit of Orion (only constillation other than the dippers I can clearly identify for now ) it was very bright and looked to have three trailing stars. I think it was Aldebaran fromnlooking at the sky wheel but not sure about the trailing stars. Either way I am
officially hooked! I need to learn how to work the EQ mount that's for sure but it willnbe fun doing so! Sad that I waited so long to get started but I'm here now! Clears skies everyone!

If you wanto just "point and shoot" rather than align the eq mount you can tilt the alt up to 90 degrees and use it on its side as an alt/Az mount instead.i did that when I first started out and it helped me out alot

Scout92

#5569039 - 12/13/12 11:15 AM

Quote:

Congrats!

I thought it might be Jupiter after reading and seeing some of the other posts, however all of there discriptions had the moons above the planet while what I saw was below (inverted image?). If it was Jupiter I may be disappointed in this scope because it did not have any color to it and I would have seen some right? Granted I do not really know how to use the scope, eyepieces, or barlow properly yet and the eyepieces are not the best so that may be it. Just have to keep practicing.

CJK
professor emeritus

Re: First...first light! new [Re: REC]
      #5569040 - 12/13/12 11:15 AM

Quote:

Chris...I just looked at the website for the Hidden Sky and looks pretty cool!

bob

It works, too! I find it perfect for a newbie like me -- it helps me answer the "what the heck is that?" question I often have when looking up.

(It also comes in very handy in answering the same question from my kids.)

-- Chris

Dave74
sage

Reged: 10/23/12

Loc: Gelatinous, MA
      #5569058 - 12/13/12 11:27 AM

I saw Jupiter and the Pleiades through a 60mm refractor about 3 months ago. I saw no detail in Jupiter, just three of the moons.I didn't know it was Jupiter and the Pleiades I had seen until I googled when I went in. I didn't even know or had forgotten that Jupiter had moons. Anyway, that night hooked me.

If indeed it was Jupiter you were looking at, don't be disappointed. It may have been seeing conditions that didn't allow for great detail.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
      #5569068 - 12/13/12 11:32 AM

no worries its all fun. you are describing it as seen through the scope or naked eye? if seen through the scope you would know its a planet id think.. through pretty much any eyepiece..

in this image the bright "star on left next to trees is jupiter.. the right pointing triangle of stars to the right of it is part of the constellation "Taurus", the bottom star of that "triangle" or "arrow" (as i think of it) is Aldebaran

anything look familiar?

jupiter above orion left of taurus

Quote:

Quote:

Congrats!

I thought it might be Jupiter after reading and seeing some of the other posts, however all of there discriptions had the moons above the planet while what I saw was below (inverted image?). If it was Jupiter I may be disappointed in this scope because it did not have any color to it and I would have seen some right? Granted I do not really know how to use the scope, eyepieces, or barlow properly yet and the eyepieces are not the best so that may be it. Just have to keep practicing.

Scout92

#5569078 - 12/13/12 11:33 AM

Quote:

The (free) Stellarium software is really helpful in planning an observing session: you can look at what's going to be visible from your location at any given time, and you can practice "star hopping" to find your way around. Unfortunately, it doesn't print star charts -- for that, you need something else like Starry Night or TheSkyX.

If you have an iPhone or Android phone, you can take an electronic star chart with you. There are numerous options, but the two I use are Hidden Sky (actually a "virtual reality" app which lets you point your iPhone at the sky and figure out what you're looking at -- it's like magic!) and Sky Safari (like a portable Stellarium).

-- Chris

Thanks for the tip! I hinted to the wife about the starrynight program for Christmas. So well see!

Scout92

Re: First...first light! new [Re: lamplight]
      #5569098 - 12/13/12 11:43 AM

Quote:

no worries its all fun. you are describing it as seen through the scope or naked eye? if seen through the scope you would know its a planet id think.. through pretty much any eyepiece..

in this image the bright "star on left next to trees is jupiter.. the right pointing triangle of stars to the right of it is part of the constellation "Taurus", the bottom star of that "triangle" or "arrow" (as i think of it) is Aldebaran

anything look familiar?

jupiter above orion left of taurus

Quote:

Quote:

Congrats!

Well I guess it was Jupiter then! Because that is the bright object I went to though your view looks different than mine. Not sure why I didn't get any detail...light pollution? I had several porch lights and street lights to contend with.

Edited by Scout92 (12/13/12 11:53 AM)

Scout92

#5569102 - 12/13/12 11:46 AM

Quote:

I saw Jupiter and the Pleiades through a 60mm refractor about 3 months ago. I saw no detail in Jupiter, just three of the moons.I didn't know it was Jupiter and the Pleiades I had seen until I googled when I went in. I didn't even know or had forgotten that Jupiter had moons. Anyway, that night hooked me.

If indeed it was Jupiter you were looking at, don't be disappointed. It may have been seeing conditions that didn't allow for great detail.

Dave, that's the same thing I saw no detail and only three moons but just as with you that's all it took

Edited by Scout92 (12/13/12 11:51 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 877
Calendar Event: 12/13/12

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC