Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1
Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Clearance around pier? Scalability? Warm room? new
      #5568978 - 12/13/12 10:41 AM

Is there a typical clearance you would want around a pier for an EQ mounted scope?

Right now the mount is a Mach 1, but I'd want it to be able to handle a larger mount just in case.

Also, I'm considering adding a warm room to the plans. What is the typical size of a warm room? Also, do any designs place the warm room inside of the frame that carries the roll off roof?

Also, what is the average wall height of ROR's?

And my last question... Is there any freeware program that would let me design or even render an observatory?

Edited by Footbag (12/13/12 10:59 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Alex McConahay
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/11/08

Loc: Moreno Valley, CA
Re: Clearance around pier? Scalability? Warm room? new [Re: Footbag]
      #5569072 - 12/13/12 11:32 AM

>>>>>> Is there a typical clearance you would want around a pier for an EQ mounted scope?

That would depend on the use: visual requires more room for the observing chair/ladder than does imaging. Moreso, it depends on the type of scope. SCT's are more compact, and observer is at the rear. Refractors are longer, observer at rear. Newts are bigger overall, with observer to side.

Also, what is the average wall height of ROR's?

My walls are 78 inches above the floor.

As for overall clearance, in my away from home observatory I have a 10 x 12 building. I picked that size because any larger means pulling permits. Most jurisdictions do not require anything for 10 x 12 or less. Reduce the inside dimension by the thickness of the walls (2x4's essentially, so inside floor space is 9'4" x 11'4"). Pier is nominal 4'8" from south, east and west walls, with 6'4" to north. In the northwest corner I have a desk, etc. This is large enough for my EQ mount, my 10' F4.5 Newt and astroimaging. I do not have a warm room in this observatory. In my home observatory, I use my house as a warm room.

If you are building at home, you may want to consider using your house as the only warm room. It is simple enough to connect your equipment by a cat 5 line, or wirelessly from your back yard to your house. (Assuming it is an imaging installation.)

Alex

Footbag
Postmaster

Re: Clearance around pier? Scalability? Warm room? new [Re: Alex McConahay]
      #5569103 - 12/13/12 11:46 AM

I'm a 99% imager, but I get a lot of curious neighbors when I take the scope out. To be safe, I might as well building it to allow for a small crowd of observers.

Having the house be the warm room was the original idea. But this is a summer home. Rather then warming up the whole house, where the roof (to the south)may radiate heat; I though it would be better to consider a warm room.

I can see myself driving the 30m up there and being too cold to get anything done. It will mostly be for switching OTA's or cameras or just general troubleshooting.

As far as type of scope, I currently have an 8"SCT. But I wouldn't want to rule out any type of scope. A Newt is likely in my future.

The builder told me we would need a permit either way, so I'm mostly trying to keep it as small as possible, but with enough space to do anything I could think of.

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
      #5569137 - 12/13/12 12:03 PM

You might look at the backyard observatories for ideas. My observatory is 12 x 18 with a 6' warm room on the north end. Wish I would have made the warm room a couple feet bigger as it is tight with counter and chair.

My observing area is 12 x 12 and with 2 piers it is kind of tight to do visual with anymore than 1-2 people. If you had a single pier in the center then it could handle a good size group.

Dean

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
Re: Clearance around pier? Scalability? Warm room? new [Re: DeanS]
      #5569232 - 12/13/12 01:06 PM

My warm room is 10'x8', and I find it perfect. Also, the warm room is "within the frame" as you wrote about.

Edited by Wmacky (12/13/12 01:06 PM)

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/08

#5569387 - 12/13/12 02:34 PM

Quote:

I can see myself driving the 30m up there and being too cold to get anything done. It will mostly be for switching OTA's or cameras or just general troubleshooting.

If you intend to control the equipment from your warm room it isn't too big of a step to be able to control everything over the internet, if the equipment you have lends itself to that level of control. Set your goal to be able to control the equipment from your home. Design the building and choose the equipment with that goal in mind. Hard to beat the luxury of observing from your living room with the click of a mouse.

Footbag
Postmaster

Re: Clearance around pier? Scalability? Warm room? new [Re: Wmacky]
      #5569389 - 12/13/12 02:37 PM

Quote:

My warm room is 10'x8', and I find it perfect. Also, the warm room is "within the frame" as you wrote about.

Thanks for the photo. That is exactly what I was thinking.

Footbag
Postmaster

Re: Clearance around pier? Scalability? Warm room? [Re: Lorence]
      #5569405 - 12/13/12 02:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you intend to control the equipment from your warm room it isn't too big of a step to be able to control everything over the internet, if the equipment you have lends itself to that level of control. Set your goal to be able to control the equipment from your home. Design the building and choose the equipment with that goal in mind. Hard to beat the luxury of observing from your living room with the click of a mouse.

The plan is to have it useable from both the warm room, the summer home living room and my home in town.

The thing is, the summer house isn't heated in the winter. So it's not like I have a nice warm living room to hang out in in when it's cold. Like I said, it would be mostly to keep warm while doing maintenance. It would house the computer and keep the screen glare away from the scopes.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 480

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics