Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: If You Had A Choice.... new [Re: Starman81]
      #5569392 - 12/13/12 02:39 PM

Quote:

I use an Astro Physics Barcon with my ethos eyepieces and think that the combination is magical!

Yup, same here! Really helps stretch the 100* bonus to cover more ground.

So i dunno... tough call. I'm relatively new to the XW realm, with a 10mm... really fantastic optics! Acid-tested on Jupiter, too, with most impressive results. That, alone, would give my thinkin' a tough run against an Ethos!

But given the bonus of its 7mm brother, to bracket the Ethos' FL+magnification range? Like Markus has recently discovered, the flex to have TWO nearby FLs to match conditions... and of such optical quality. That would push me over the edge- jettison the E!

Then, as has been stated, pick up an uber-quality (2x?) Barlow... now those two XW's can leapfrog one another towards viewing just about ANYthing up there!

That's my ... yes, mileage will certainly vary.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Damo636
sage

Reged: 08/16/11

Loc: Co Fermanagh, Northern Ireland
Re: If You Had A Choice.... new [Re: Mike B]
      #5569576 - 12/13/12 04:55 PM

I have read that the Antares 1.6x and the AP Barcon share the same optics

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/25/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: If You Had A Choice.... new [Re: Darren Drake]
      #5569638 - 12/13/12 05:44 PM

The Pentaxes give longer eye relief and more focal length options. I'm assuming you are selling because you need the cash, so I am not going to suggest barlows or any other additional purchases.

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: If You Had A Choice.... new [Re: Damo636]
      #5569700 - 12/13/12 06:14 PM

Quote:

I have read that the Antares 1.6x and the AP Barcon share the same optics

I've heard that also... cannot confirm... but i *CAN* state that the Barcon seems entirely invisible in use. A magnificent piece of optical hardware!

Won't be sellin' mine any time soon...

Happy Birthday JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: If You Had A Choice.... [Re: Mike B]
      #5569742 - 12/13/12 06:42 PM

Love my 10mm and my 7mm Pentax. 70 degrees is just right.

Damo636
sage

Re: If You Had A Choice.... new [Re: Deep13]
      #5570482 - 12/14/12 08:54 AM

Quote:

The Pentaxes give longer eye relief and more focal length options. I'm assuming you are selling because you need the cash, so I am not going to suggest barlows or any other additional purchases.

The cash from the sale of one or the other will be reinvested in another piece of astro kit The goal is to end up with a minimalist, but quality set of eps that will "hopefully" last me a lifetime. I have tried a lot of eps in recent years but don't tend to keep anything thats not going to be used to the full. I'm having a real problem deciding which way to go with these though. These 3 eps are all superb in their own right and I honestly don't believe I will be able to part with any of them! It means it'll take me a little longer to top out my high power lineup but I suppose, at the end of the day, the stars aren't going anywhere.

John Huntley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/16/06

Loc: South West England
      #5573170 - 12/15/12 08:37 PM

Hi Damo,

It is a difficult choice I reckon. I've now moved to XW's for my 5mm and 3.5mm focal lengths and use the Ethos for 13mm, 8mm and 6mm. The 8mm Ethos is my least used of the three but this might change when my 30cm Orion Optics F/5.3 dobsonian comes "on stream" shortly. It's certainly not because it lacks anything in performance compared to the 13mm and 6mm Ethos.

I have considered switching from the 8mm and 6mm Ethos to 10mm and 7mm XW's to go with the 5mm and 3.5 but I do love the 100 degree FoV and coma won't be much of an issue at F/5.3 so I reckon I'll probably stick with the Ethos trio

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/25/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5573533 - 12/16/12 01:46 AM

Quote:

... at the end of the day, the stars aren't going anywhere.

No, that's when they come out.

Damo636
sage

Re: If You Had A Choice.... new [Re: John Huntley]
      #5573663 - 12/16/12 06:38 AM

Quote:

Hi Damo,

It is a difficult choice I reckon. I've now moved to XW's for my 5mm and 3.5mm focal lengths and use the Ethos for 13mm, 8mm and 6mm. The 8mm Ethos is my least used of the three but this might change when my 30cm Orion Optics F/5.3 dobsonian comes "on stream" shortly. It's certainly not because it lacks anything in performance compared to the 13mm and 6mm Ethos.

I have considered switching from the 8mm and 6mm Ethos to 10mm and 7mm XW's to go with the 5mm and 3.5 but I do love the 100 degree FoV and coma won't be much of an issue at F/5.3 so I reckon I'll probably stick with the Ethos trio

I think you will find the 8mm will get a lot more use in your 12" John. I have had some of the best views of Jupiter this time around with the 8mm (187x). If I had stuck to my original plan & bought a 5mm XW I wouldn't have found myself in this position, but, the 8E popped up at a nice price & I couldn't help myself

John Huntley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/16/06

Loc: South West England
      #5574226 - 12/16/12 02:09 PM

Quote:

...... If I had stuck to my original plan & bought a 5mm XW I wouldn't have found myself in this position, but, the 8E popped up at a nice price & I couldn't help myself

Sounds a familiar story ....

daveingu
sage

Reged: 01/24/09

Loc: Guelph, ON Canada
Re: If You Had A Choice.... new [Re: John Huntley]
      #5574295 - 12/16/12 02:59 PM

Sad to see others in the same predicament. . I have the same story only I hunted for XL's, got the 5.2,7 and 10.5 then found a great deal on an 8E, just had to get it. I spend way to much time flipping eyepieces back and forth to see which looks better. I do have an Orion/WO 7.5-22.5 zoom on the way to use for quick setups in the winter months.
I don"t want to keep them all but can't decide between 13E,8E,6? or 13E 10.5,7,5.2 for my 7"f5.7 or 12"f4.9 dobs.
I am hoping the zoom will fill in any gap between 13-8 if I feel a need for something around 10mm.
Dave

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1476

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics