Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade LX

Pages: 1
Ty Williams
sage

Reged: 05/13/05

Loc: Delaware County, Ohio
Can my current handpaddle control a new ETX-80?
      #5570263 - 12/14/12 02:36 AM

Around 2005, I got a LXD75 mount with an Autostar 497. I used it for a year or two before my hatred of the mount made me finally give up on astronomy as a hobby. I have a vague memory of loading a patched or alternative firmware onto the 497 in 2005 or 2006 from a 3rd party, but I really don't remember what or from where. Well, I'm back into it now with a big simple dob but I'm also considering getting a ETX-80. The ETX-80AT-TC package that's on sale right now comes with an Autostar 494 handpaddle. As far as I can tell, the only important difference to me is that the 494 has a much smaller library than the 497. Since I am considering getting the ETX-80 for the purpose of pointing at things, the size of the library is important to me.

So, my question is if I plug my 497 into the computer to get the AutoStarUpdater program to talk to it, will ASU figure out what firmware I need, overwrite the alternative firmware I loaded years ago, and leave me with something that will be happy to control the ETX-80?

I assume I'll have to tell the paddle it's controlling an alt-az mount now, and probably something else as well.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Can my current handpaddle control a new ETX-80? new [Re: Ty Williams]
      #5570516 - 12/14/12 09:25 AM

Using a 497 to control my ETX80 with no problems. You will have to adjust the data settings, recalibrate, and retrain the drives.

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: Can my current handpaddle control a new ETX-80? new [Re: Stew57]
      #5570753 - 12/14/12 12:03 PM

Quote:

Using a 497 to control my ETX80 with no problems. You will have to adjust the data settings, recalibrate, and retrain the drives.

You will have to go through the setup process and pick an ETX scope too for the type of scope. Better than the ETX-80, get the ETX-90 Mak-Cass, it's a much better scope.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Can my current handpaddle control a new ETX-80? new [Re: blb]
      #5570854 - 12/14/12 01:14 PM

The ETX80 and ETX90 are for different puposes. The 80 is a widefield achromat refractor. Not good for planets at all which is where the longer focal length 90 works better. they both seem to have the same mechanicals now.

Ty Williams
sage

Reged: 05/13/05

Loc: Delaware County, Ohio
Re: Can my current handpaddle control a new ETX-80? new [Re: Stew57]
      #5570941 - 12/14/12 02:32 PM

The other consideration is that the ETX-90 is more than twice the current price of the ETX-80. Since this thing is just serving as a laser designator, I can't imagine the 90 brings anything to the table that's worth it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 488

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics