Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Winter Star Party 2013
      #5570693 - 12/14/12 11:32 AM

This would be my 3rd WSP. However, I was just informed that all the chickee bunks are taken. In 2011 I was in a tent, and miserable most of the time, mainly because of the wind. The soil is so shallow on the island that it is impossible to get a tent staked adequately. My tent (borrowed) broke a strut. Others had tents blown into the woods.

Last year I stayed in a chickee had had a much better time.

What to do?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Alvan Clark
sage

Reged: 03/13/10

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Doc Willie]
      #5570807 - 12/14/12 12:52 PM

I have tented several years with no problems what so ever. Maybe your tent is bigger? I just use four 6-10 inch long piece of *BLEEP* stakes and it's fine.

It can be a little noisy at night with wind but never concerned it would blow away.

I've never seen full ckickees before. A lot time it seems like only two people in a chickee. Maybe people somehow reserve the whole thing for two people.

Alvan Clark
sage

Reged: 03/13/10

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Alvan Clark]
      #5570814 - 12/14/12 12:55 PM

By the way, I'm offended by the censors. My word wasn't that bad but with the *bleep* there people probably think I said something else.

Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
      #5571471 - 12/14/12 08:13 PM

I've been in the Chickees for 4 years and I still don't know what "full" means. I have never been in a chickee where anyone slept in a top bunk. It's always one to a bottom bunk and you put all your suitcases etc. in the top bunk. Have they changed this policy this year? Are there more registrations this year - enough to fill all the bunks, top and bottom?

I have concerns here. First, if they fill the chickees, top and bottom this year, the crowding of six or eight adult amateur astronomers in one chickee will be very uncomfortable with all the gear and equipment etc...

My other concern is my Chickee assignment. I have been in the same Chickee for four years (Antoniadi 2) and have requested it each subsequent year and have been placed there. This year, despite my request I have been placed in "Mauna Kea 2". Where is this Chickee (the website map does not show this information - the provided map of accommodations does not mention 'Mauna Kea')? Has anyone here on CN stayed in this chickee?

Dave

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Cotts]
      #5571654 - 12/14/12 10:02 PM

Hi Dave, I have cleaned out all of the chickees and they all look pretty much the same to me. They have new registrars this year so they are probably not familiar to the fact that the other registrars placed you in the same chickee every year. I will contact Tim or Charlie over the weekend and find out how many people are being placed in the chickees.

Cotts
Just Wondering

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: crazyqban]
      #5572203 - 12/15/12 09:15 AM

Hola, Sergio. My concern is not the architecture of 'Mauna Kea' - I realize all the Chickees are the same. It's the location that concerns me. There are some chickees shoved off in a dark, treed corner close to the Boy Scout camp that would be very poor - unuseable - for observing nearby..... Is 'Mauna Kea' one of these? The map on the website holds no clues....

Thanks for checking.

Dave

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Cotts]
      #5573306 - 12/15/12 09:58 PM

Dave, that I do not know.

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#5577844 - 12/18/12 08:01 PM

OK, I have some information for you guys. As far as the chickees being sold out, Charlie Perillo told me that we always try to rent the top bunk and bottom bunk seperately. In other words, since it is sold out, there is a person assinged to the top bunk and another to the bottom bunk. He told me that in some years they don't sell out and that is why you are able to use the top as storage and use the bottom as your sleeping area. So as far as he knows, the chickees should be totally full. One thing to remember is that some people do not attend for the entire WSP and some don't show due to last minute things that arise so there might be a chance that you might have an open bunk.

Dave - Mauna Kea 2 should be the same chickee and Antoniadi 2. The chickees have been re-maned this year becuase the trailer in which we kept all of the power cables and other items that are used for the star party was stolen. Among these things were the signs for the chickees. Since they were stolen, it was decided to re-name the chickees. The ones in this particular area are now named after famous observatories. The number that is assigned to the chickee is the number that was assigned by the Girl Scouts so Maunea Kea 2 and Antoniadi 2 are one in the same only with a different name.

I hope that this info helps to answer your questions.

Cotts
Just Wondering

#5578488 - 12/19/12 07:22 AM

Thanks, Sergio. That's very useful information.... It will be a first for me to be in a chickee with six people...... Gonna be crowded.....

Dave

bierbelly
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/04

Loc: Sterling, VA
      #5582575 - 12/21/12 02:22 PM

Quote:

This would be my 3rd WSP. However, I was just informed that all the chickee bunks are taken. In 2011 I was in a tent, and miserable most of the time, mainly because of the wind. The soil is so shallow on the island that it is impossible to get a tent staked adequately. My tent (borrowed) broke a strut. Others had tents blown into the woods.

What to do?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh! Be a MAN and sleep in a tent...and hope for better weather.

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
      #5582579 - 12/21/12 02:25 PM

Quote:

What to do?

Look on astromart, a couple Chickee tickets opened up.

Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: DeanS]
      #5588647 - 12/25/12 04:09 PM

Quote:

Look on astromart, a couple Chickee tickets opened up.

I got one of them. Thanks for the pointer.

See y'all there.

Edited by Doc Willie (12/25/12 04:18 PM)

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
      #5591440 - 12/27/12 04:29 PM

Does anyone know if it's still possible to register for WSP...staying in a tent? I'm not sure if they fill up every year or not.

Thanks,

Patrick

Joe F Gafford
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/06

Loc: Denver, Colorado, US
Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Patrick]
      #5591608 - 12/27/12 06:48 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

I found 2 on Astromart not yet taken. Go to Classifieds/Misc and other Astronomy, enter "winter" in the search box. Be sure these are camping tickets and he has permission to sell these tickets.
Everything usually goes, but if you ask them they might have some tickets left for camping if the Astromart offer sells out. Registrars Click on one of the registrars, Chuck or Judy near the bottom of the page to contact them. I did contact them in 2002 3 months after the close of registration and I got in.

Joe

Pkgastro

Reged: 12/27/12

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Joe F Gafford]
      #5594780 - 12/29/12 05:47 PM

First time down on this Star party , Rented a hotrod and a resort room!! was offerd a Chickee but could not think about such a place ! So much spent on scopes eps ! spend a little on comfort!! just sayin!!

bierbelly
Postmaster

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Pkgastro]
      #5603070 - 01/03/13 01:58 PM

Getting pumped now. Just reserved a room for the trip down, meeting up with others in Clearwater. Campout in Glades next day/nite and head for Keys next am.

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: bierbelly]
      #5609547 - 01/07/13 12:50 AM

Ticket is in the mail! Does anyone know if there's lodging nearby? I can do a tent if I have to but a room would be nice.

Patrick

bierbelly
Postmaster

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Patrick]
      #5609771 - 01/07/13 08:56 AM

There are hotels on both Marathon Key and Big Pine Key on either side of the WSP site, but it is "high season" so check on availability.

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 [Re: bierbelly]
      #5610217 - 01/07/13 01:12 PM

How is the camping down there? Can you drive your car up to your tent site and leave it there? Is there a place I can recharge my 12v batteries? I use a CPAP machine while sleeping so are there any electrical outlets near the camping area?

Thanks,

Patrick

bierbelly
Postmaster

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 [Re: Patrick]
      #5610285 - 01/07/13 02:03 PM

Yes, yes, yes. Only issue with camping is that your conventional tent stakes can't be driven into the coral deeply enough.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9458

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics