Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Winter Star Party 2013
      #5570693 - 12/14/12 11:32 AM

This would be my 3rd WSP. However, I was just informed that all the chickee bunks are taken. In 2011 I was in a tent, and miserable most of the time, mainly because of the wind. The soil is so shallow on the island that it is impossible to get a tent staked adequately. My tent (borrowed) broke a strut. Others had tents blown into the woods.

Last year I stayed in a chickee had had a much better time.

What to do?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Alvan Clark
sage

Reged: 03/13/10

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Doc Willie]
      #5570807 - 12/14/12 12:52 PM

I have tented several years with no problems what so ever. Maybe your tent is bigger? I just use four 6-10 inch long piece of *BLEEP* stakes and it's fine.

It can be a little noisy at night with wind but never concerned it would blow away.

I've never seen full ckickees before. A lot time it seems like only two people in a chickee. Maybe people somehow reserve the whole thing for two people.

Alvan Clark
sage

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Alvan Clark]
      #5570814 - 12/14/12 12:55 PM

By the way, I'm offended by the censors. My word wasn't that bad but with the *bleep* there people probably think I said something else.

Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
      #5571471 - 12/14/12 08:13 PM

I've been in the Chickees for 4 years and I still don't know what "full" means. I have never been in a chickee where anyone slept in a top bunk. It's always one to a bottom bunk and you put all your suitcases etc. in the top bunk. Have they changed this policy this year? Are there more registrations this year - enough to fill all the bunks, top and bottom?

I have concerns here. First, if they fill the chickees, top and bottom this year, the crowding of six or eight adult amateur astronomers in one chickee will be very uncomfortable with all the gear and equipment etc...

My other concern is my Chickee assignment. I have been in the same Chickee for four years (Antoniadi 2) and have requested it each subsequent year and have been placed there. This year, despite my request I have been placed in "Mauna Kea 2". Where is this Chickee (the website map does not show this information - the provided map of accommodations does not mention 'Mauna Kea')? Has anyone here on CN stayed in this chickee?

Dave

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Cotts]
      #5571654 - 12/14/12 10:02 PM

Hi Dave, I have cleaned out all of the chickees and they all look pretty much the same to me. They have new registrars this year so they are probably not familiar to the fact that the other registrars placed you in the same chickee every year. I will contact Tim or Charlie over the weekend and find out how many people are being placed in the chickees.

Cotts
Just Wondering

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: crazyqban]
      #5572203 - 12/15/12 09:15 AM

Hola, Sergio. My concern is not the architecture of 'Mauna Kea' - I realize all the Chickees are the same. It's the location that concerns me. There are some chickees shoved off in a dark, treed corner close to the Boy Scout camp that would be very poor - unuseable - for observing nearby..... Is 'Mauna Kea' one of these? The map on the website holds no clues....

Thanks for checking.

Dave

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#5573306 - 12/15/12 09:58 PM

Dave, that I do not know.

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#5577844 - 12/18/12 08:01 PM

OK, I have some information for you guys. As far as the chickees being sold out, Charlie Perillo told me that we always try to rent the top bunk and bottom bunk seperately. In other words, since it is sold out, there is a person assinged to the top bunk and another to the bottom bunk. He told me that in some years they don't sell out and that is why you are able to use the top as storage and use the bottom as your sleeping area. So as far as he knows, the chickees should be totally full. One thing to remember is that some people do not attend for the entire WSP and some don't show due to last minute things that arise so there might be a chance that you might have an open bunk.

Dave - Mauna Kea 2 should be the same chickee and Antoniadi 2. The chickees have been re-maned this year becuase the trailer in which we kept all of the power cables and other items that are used for the star party was stolen. Among these things were the signs for the chickees. Since they were stolen, it was decided to re-name the chickees. The ones in this particular area are now named after famous observatories. The number that is assigned to the chickee is the number that was assigned by the Girl Scouts so Maunea Kea 2 and Antoniadi 2 are one in the same only with a different name.

I hope that this info helps to answer your questions.

Cotts
Just Wondering

#5578488 - 12/19/12 07:22 AM

Thanks, Sergio. That's very useful information.... It will be a first for me to be in a chickee with six people...... Gonna be crowded.....

Dave

bierbelly
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/04

Loc: Sterling, VA
      #5582575 - 12/21/12 02:22 PM

Quote:

This would be my 3rd WSP. However, I was just informed that all the chickee bunks are taken. In 2011 I was in a tent, and miserable most of the time, mainly because of the wind. The soil is so shallow on the island that it is impossible to get a tent staked adequately. My tent (borrowed) broke a strut. Others had tents blown into the woods.

What to do?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh! Be a MAN and sleep in a tent...and hope for better weather.

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
      #5582579 - 12/21/12 02:25 PM

Quote:

What to do?

Look on astromart, a couple Chickee tickets opened up.

Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: DeanS]
      #5588647 - 12/25/12 04:09 PM

Quote:

Look on astromart, a couple Chickee tickets opened up.

I got one of them. Thanks for the pointer.

See y'all there.

Edited by Doc Willie (12/25/12 04:18 PM)

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
      #5591440 - 12/27/12 04:29 PM

Does anyone know if it's still possible to register for WSP...staying in a tent? I'm not sure if they fill up every year or not.

Thanks,

Patrick

Joe F Gafford
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/06

Loc: Denver, Colorado, US
Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Patrick]
      #5591608 - 12/27/12 06:48 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

I found 2 on Astromart not yet taken. Go to Classifieds/Misc and other Astronomy, enter "winter" in the search box. Be sure these are camping tickets and he has permission to sell these tickets.
Everything usually goes, but if you ask them they might have some tickets left for camping if the Astromart offer sells out. Registrars Click on one of the registrars, Chuck or Judy near the bottom of the page to contact them. I did contact them in 2002 3 months after the close of registration and I got in.

Joe

Pkgastro

Reged: 12/27/12

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Joe F Gafford]
      #5594780 - 12/29/12 05:47 PM

First time down on this Star party , Rented a hotrod and a resort room!! was offerd a Chickee but could not think about such a place ! So much spent on scopes eps ! spend a little on comfort!! just sayin!!

bierbelly
Postmaster

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Pkgastro]
      #5603070 - 01/03/13 01:58 PM

Getting pumped now. Just reserved a room for the trip down, meeting up with others in Clearwater. Campout in Glades next day/nite and head for Keys next am.

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: bierbelly]
      #5609547 - 01/07/13 12:50 AM

Ticket is in the mail! Does anyone know if there's lodging nearby? I can do a tent if I have to but a room would be nice.

Patrick

bierbelly
Postmaster

#5609771 - 01/07/13 08:56 AM

There are hotels on both Marathon Key and Big Pine Key on either side of the WSP site, but it is "high season" so check on availability.

Patrick
Postmaster

#5610217 - 01/07/13 01:12 PM

How is the camping down there? Can you drive your car up to your tent site and leave it there? Is there a place I can recharge my 12v batteries? I use a CPAP machine while sleeping so are there any electrical outlets near the camping area?

Thanks,

Patrick

bierbelly
Postmaster

#5610285 - 01/07/13 02:03 PM

Yes, yes, yes. Only issue with camping is that your conventional tent stakes can't be driven into the coral deeply enough.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Chris5235

Reged: 02/19/11

Loc: VA
      #5610368 - 01/07/13 02:48 PM

May I suggest Tent Pole Weights. May work with some Para cord and make anchor points on the weight & tie down... Just a thought

here is a link

http://www.macsports-store.com/Canopy-Anchor-Kit-Set-of-6-Tent-Pole-Weights-p...

Edited by Chris5235 (01/07/13 02:56 PM)

bierbelly
Postmaster

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Chris5235]
      #5610475 - 01/07/13 03:53 PM

Tent didn't cost that much...

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
      #5610667 - 01/07/13 06:24 PM

Hi, guys. I've watched the annual WSP thread develop with my usual over-salivation and envy.

Here's a good, cheap tent stake substitute. Go to Good Will or the equivalent and buy a bunch of non-plastic shopping bags, at maybe $.50 each. They pack into a small, lightweight bundle. When camping, tie your guy lines to the bags' handles and fill the bags with rocks, or I suppose even sand would work well.

Now, back to my regularly scheduled cold, clouds & rain.

DeanS
Post Laureate

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Spaced]
      #5610804 - 01/07/13 07:49 PM

Would not work well with the winds we had 2 years ago, brutal!

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#5610979 - 01/07/13 09:49 PM

I've always use the stakes that were provided with my tent and I have not had any issues.

bakerman

Reged: 01/06/13

#5611584 - 01/08/13 09:33 AM

This will be my first time at WSP. Any suggestions about when to line up to get in on Monday morning? I am bringing a 4" refractor, and not doing astrophotography. Also, in looking at pictures of the WSP, some people use tarps on the ground under their equipment. Any pro/cons to a tarp? Are fire ants a problem on the observing field?
Thanks.

bierbelly
Postmaster

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: bakerman]
      #5611651 - 01/08/13 10:17 AM

Quote:

This will be my first time at WSP. Any suggestions about when to line up to get in on Monday morning? I am bringing a 4" refractor, and not doing astrophotography. Also, in looking at pictures of the WSP, some people use tarps on the ground under their equipment. Any pro/cons to a tarp? Are fire ants a problem on the observing field?
Thanks.

Fire ants are a problem all over the island. I think the tarps are more for avoiding the loss of items dropped in the dark. No reason to get in line before about 4pm Monday. (Don't want you in line ahead of me...).

Oh, and welcome to CN!

Edited by bierbelly (01/08/13 12:16 PM)

Alvan Clark
sage

#5612028 - 01/08/13 02:12 PM

Quote:

Any suggestions about when to line up to get in on Monday morning?

4AM if you want to be near the front of the line. With your setup, don't think it matters much. 4PM should work.

bierbelly
Postmaster

#5612032 - 01/08/13 02:15 PM

So that we CNers can identify ourselves at WSP, I propose that we all wear...pocket protectors!

DeanS
Post Laureate

#5612344 - 01/08/13 05:11 PM

The Sheriff enforces the no parking along the road before set time. Look at the website so you don't get there too early and have to keep on driving. I think it is 6am?

Cotts
Just Wondering

#5612848 - 01/08/13 10:44 PM

The "cops will not allow anyone to line up before 6am" myth is alive and well, I see. Several people at the front of the line park there every year the night before and sleep in their cars!!! At my first WSP, six years ago I arrived sharply at 6am and was 35th in line! 35th!!!!! That 'rule' does not exist.

I would recommend to Bakerman that you get there mid morning at the very latest so as to have a good shot at a nice spot inside. 4pm is waaaaaay too late, especially if you don't know your way around the site as a first-timer. They have indicated to me that this year's WSP will have a much larger crowd than in the past few years (apparently the Chickees are sold out, 6 people to a Chickee this year, a level of crowding that I have not seen since I first attended in 2007) -see Sergio's post upthread....

Get there early and hang out in the lineup, meet some folks, get some advice from veterans on good places to set up.

Dave

Edited by Cotts (01/08/13 10:50 PM)

Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

#5614082 - 01/09/13 04:54 PM

Since I am driving all the way down there, I would like to spend a few more days, either in FL or GA. Any suggestions for a dark astrofriendly site?

Cotts
Just Wondering

#5614267 - 01/09/13 06:45 PM

Hi, Willie. Bahia Honda State Park is right next door (under a couple of miles east... IIRC) You'd need your tent....

Also, PM sent.

Dave

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#5614692 - 01/09/13 11:21 PM

Bakerman, bring a bag or two of fire ant killer pesticide. Sprinkle it around your campsite or scope and you don't have to worry about the fireants.

Willie, you could visit the Deerlick Astronomy Village in Georgia or the Chiefland Astronomy Village in Florida. Both are great but Chiefland has more restaurants and and stuff to do around the area.

BJS

Reged: 05/23/09

Loc: NW Ohio
      #5615717 - 01/10/13 03:18 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

I will be attending the WSP for the first time this year. I would like to know from those who have been there; what type of tent stakes work best? The "nail" style or the wider "military" style. See pictures to see what i am referring to.

Thanks, Brian

BJS

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: BJS]
      #5615718 - 01/10/13 03:18 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Here is a picture of the "nail" style.

Brian

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#5615758 - 01/10/13 03:45 PM

Brian, I have always used the stakes that came with my Coleman tent with no issues. If you go too deep you can run into super hard coral. When we setup the vendor tents this happens all the time and we need a jack hammer. This is when using commercial grade stakes that are really heavy, long and thick. You should be ok with either one of the ones that you posted but make sure you have a mallet or hammer to drive them in should you encounter some concrete hard coral.

Howie Glatter
Vendor

Reged: 07/04/06

#5616162 - 01/10/13 07:51 PM

I think stout nail stakes are stronger and have a better chance of surviving if you are on coral rock. Bring a heavy hammer. The sheet metal stakes just buckle.
After dealing with the coral in the vendor area for ten years, I'm very happy to have graduated to a Sprinter van motor home.

Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Howie Glatter]
      #5618165 - 01/11/13 10:45 PM

During really high winds, I found nothing that worked. There is only 4-6 in of soil, then you hit solid coral rock. My tent broke a strut. Two others ended up in the bushes somewhere. Jackhammer sounds like the best idea.

For me, chickee or I no go.

Patrick
Postmaster

#5618929 - 01/12/13 12:00 PM

Hi all,

I'm trying to evaluate my power needs for WSP at the observing site. Did I understand correctly that AC power is generally available provided I bring along my own extension cords? Are there areas that 'late comers' might get stuck with that won't have access to power? Should I plan on bringing extra batteries just in case?

Thanks,

Patrick

Alvan Clark
sage

#5619305 - 01/12/13 03:41 PM

Quote:

Should I plan on bringing extra batteries just in case?

Yes. They have several junction boxes for power. In the past they laid out cords and you plugged in your cords daisy chain fashion. This year they will stop doing that it seems. Not sure why.

the main junctions will probably be all used by someone else, so if the person next to you or a little ways down has power, then you need to ask them if you can daisy chain along.

BJS

#5619421 - 01/12/13 04:44 PM

Patrick

When are you leaving for florida? We plan to leave sunday late morning.
We plan on making a couple of stops on the way down, so we will arrive at the wsp late tue or wed.

As far as power: the wsp had a trailer full of their electrical equipment stollen. That is why there is some confusion about this years power setup. I would bring batteries as back up and an extension cord to connect to the available power.

Brian

bakerman

Reged: 01/06/13

#5620393 - 01/13/13 09:53 AM

thanks to all who have responded to my newbie questions. see you down there.

peter

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#5621649 - 01/13/13 08:49 PM

Hello all, I just spoke to the head of the WSP Host Committee and he told me that many of the answers to general WSP questions can be found on the WSP website. Here is the link...

Winter Star Party Official Site

In regards to the power question, here is the answer direct from the website...

"As in previous years, the WSP will be providing "power stations" conveniently located on the field to provide AC power for telescopes. However, the WSP will no longer be providing extension cords to run from the power stations to your equipment on the field. It is recommended that you bring a 100 ft electric extension cord and a multi-outlet surge protector (all outdoor rated) to the WSP to accommodate your electric needs."

He also told me that we have a Yahoo group and questions that are posted there are usually answered by him of the WSP director.

Not that I mind answering questions, but sometimes it takes a couple of days for me to reply. At the website you can get instant information and the yahoo group has the folks that run the event and they are very responsive. See you all in a couple of weeks

Edited by crazyqban (01/13/13 08:57 PM)

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#5621659 - 01/13/13 08:53 PM

Quote:

They have several junction boxes for power. In the past they laid out cords and you plugged in your cords daisy chain fashion. This year they will stop doing that it seems. Not sure why.

The trailer in which all of the infrastructure supplies for the WSP was stolen. In it were all of the power stations and extension cords. I don't think that they were able to replace all of the cords that were stolen at once. There were several hundred and they are pricey. Maybe after a couple of years of re-stocking on the extension cords there will be plenty for all once again but I am not sure of those are the plans.

Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

Coulter drop-off in Missouri new [Re: crazyqban]
      #5621660 - 01/13/13 08:54 PM

I am donating the base of my now disasembled Coulter telescope to the Ozark Skies Astronomy Club in Van Buren Missouri. Is anybody coming to WSP who would be going back that way who could drop it off for us? I would bring it down toe WSP. Shipping is pretty prohibitive for this hunk of particle board.

Patrick
Postmaster

#5621982 - 01/14/13 12:29 AM

Quote:

Patrick

We plan on making a couple of stops on the way down, so we will arrive at the wsp late tue or wed.

Hi Brian,

I'm planning to leave on Friday but I'll be stopping in Tampa for a day. I should arrive at WSP on Monday sometime, hopefully not too late in the day.

Patrick

bierbelly
Postmaster

#5622376 - 01/14/13 10:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Patrick

Hi Brian,

I'm planning to leave on Friday but I'll be stopping in Tampa for a day. I should arrive at WSP on Monday sometime, hopefully not too late in the day.

Patrick

Patrick,

I suspect that if you were to contact the powers that be at WSP and explain your need, they would find a way to accomodate you.

DeanS
Post Laureate

#5622559 - 01/14/13 12:01 PM

After 7 in a row it looks like I may miss this one

Oh well, but I will be down in Key West the last week of Feb so not all is lost

Hope the weather is great for everyone.

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#5623361 - 01/14/13 08:28 PM

Patrick, Brian, all... Please be aware that at 7pm the main gate closes for all traffic. Please take this into account when making your travel plans. If you arrive after 7pm, they will not allow you to drive your car past the main gate.

Patrick
Postmaster

#5624038 - 01/15/13 09:16 AM

Thanks Sergio...I should be there well before then.

BJS

#5624946 - 01/15/13 06:39 PM

Thanks Sergio. We plan to be there well before 7pm.

Brian

bierbelly
Postmaster

#5627799 - 01/17/13 10:49 AM

Can't wait to hit the road. Love road trips anyway. Gonna camp one nite in the Glades on the way there.

Patrick
Postmaster

#5636577 - 01/22/13 10:22 AM

Is there much of a dew problem down in the Keys?

Patrick

bierbelly
Postmaster

#5636634 - 01/22/13 10:52 AM

Yeah, there can be if the wind isn't blowing and it's been a particularly warm day. Be prepared. OTOH, there's plenty of vendors ready to sell you dew heaters.

bierbelly
Postmaster

#5650271 - 01/29/13 12:59 PM

Less than a week!!!

kfrederick
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/01/08

#5650299 - 01/29/13 01:15 PM

This is my first year looking forward to seeing the southern Sky . And meeting some new friends . I am bringing the 17 chief down . If any one wonts a 20 inch f5. Swayze primary or a 25 f5 PM me I could bring them down .

bierbelly
Postmaster

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: kfrederick]
      #5650351 - 01/29/13 01:43 PM

Quote:

This is my first year looking forward to seeing the southern Sky . And meeting some new friends . I am bringing the 17 chief down . If any one wonts a 20 inch f5. Swayze primary or a 25 f5 PM me I could bring them down .

I'll be looking for that.

Patrick
Postmaster

#5651927 - 01/30/13 09:51 AM

Are there any good astronomy stores in Miami or Florida??

Patrick

bierbelly
Postmaster

#5652105 - 01/30/13 11:32 AM

Prolly the best will be just off the observing field at WSP. But to answer your question, I don't know. I'm sure avoiding Miami like the plague when I drive through.

Howie Glatter
Vendor

#5652195 - 01/30/13 12:15 PM

"Prolly the best will be just off the observing field at WSP."

Actually, there will be observing from the middle of the astronomy shopping mall at WSP - some binocular H-a during the day, and I'll have my 18" out there at night.

Patrick
Postmaster

#5652540 - 01/30/13 03:25 PM

Quote:

I'll have my 18" out there at night.

Sweet!

Patrick

Patrick
Postmaster

#5652548 - 01/30/13 03:31 PM

Quote:

Prolly the best will be just off the observing field at WSP.

How is the vendor turn out at WSP? If I wanted to buy a telescope or ccd camera for instance, would there be a vendor there selling those kinds of big ticket items? I've checked out the vendor list and I saw Astronomics, Televue, and a few others. It didn't seem like a long list...so I'm just wondering.

Thanks,

Patrick

DeanS
Post Laureate

#5652566 - 01/30/13 03:37 PM

If there is something in particular you want, best thing is to call the vendor ahead of time and see if they are bringing one.

There are some scopes for sale but mostly it is accessories, books, shirts, eyepieces, lights, etc.

Dean

Patrick
Postmaster

#5653310 - 01/30/13 10:06 PM

Quote:

If there is something in particular you want, best thing is to call the vendor ahead of time and see if they are bringing one.

I might need an eyepiece or two. I'd also like to get a small refractor, 80-90mm APO. Maybe I'd settle for a 31mm Nagler...pretty sad when a eyepiece cost more than a telescope.

Patrick

DeanS
Post Laureate

#5653337 - 01/30/13 10:24 PM

Camera Concepts usually has several small refractors, and plenty of eyepieces. I got all my Ethos from Jeff, great guy.
And if your real anal, bring your televue boxes and maybe get Al Nagler himself to sign them

Dean

Patrick
Postmaster

#5653343 - 01/30/13 10:26 PM

And maybe a 2x Powermate... And...and...etc.

Patrick

kfrederick
Carpal Tunnel

#5653877 - 01/31/13 09:15 AM

Patrick Hope to see you there Howie says the southern sky is great and some very big telescopes . I am interested in the CCD and see them work . All great . Except for that long drive.

DeanS
Post Laureate

#5654069 - 01/31/13 10:50 AM

Once you cross over from the mainland to Key Largo you will feel like you are in a different country. Oh, and fill up fuel there as that is the last of the cheaper stuff. And RELAX for the rest of the drive

bierbelly
Postmaster

#5654214 - 01/31/13 12:08 PM

Heading out after work this afternoon. Can't wait to visit Pedro!

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#5655161 - 01/31/13 10:01 PM

Don't forget to grab some good Cuban food while driving through Miami, let me know which way you are coming and I can give some recommendations. Also, in Marathon there is a place that is called Keys Fisheries. They have $2.00 Stone Crab claws at the bar, Lobster Reuben sandwich and the most decadent Lobster Mac N Cheese ever!!! For the best Key Lime Pie, check out Ballyhoo's in Key Largo.

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #5656230 - 02/01/13 12:04 PM

Quote:

Don't forget to grab some good Cuban food while driving through Miami, let me know which way you are coming and I can give some recommendations. Also, in Marathon there is a place that is called Keys Fisheries. They have $2.00 Stone Crab claws at the bar, Lobster Reuben sandwich and the most decadent Lobster Mac N Cheese ever!!! For the best Key Lime Pie, check out Ballyhoo's in Key Largo.

Sergio,

Four of the very few things I miss about Florida:

1) WSP
2) South Beach
3) Comida Cubana
4) Spiny Lobster

Used to dive off the beach in Fort Pierce and grab dinner during season. Sorry, I'm drooling...

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5661339 - 02/04/13 09:19 AM

Weather looks great guys...ENJOY!!! Looking forward to pics and reports when you all get back!

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: t.r.]
      #5665253 - 02/06/13 01:22 PM

Wow, two days in and no reports? Come on folks!

Vic Menard
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/21/04

Loc: Bradenton, FL
      #5666677 - 02/07/13 09:11 AM

Arrived yesterday afternoon.
Raining hard in Marathon--not much on site 5 miles west.
Early reports, Monday and Tuesday nights were both very good (Joe Wambo's 32 was getting a lot of excellent commentary).
Wednesday night started partly cloudy, some rain south, with clear skies and moderate seeing after midnight. Mickey seems to be putting even more chocolate in the brownies.

Forecast for tonight and tomorrow night looks good--clear with highs near 80 and lows near 70. Saturday night forecast calling for lows in the mid 60s and partly cloudy after midnight--thought I would add that to show there is some "winter" in Winter Star Party

This one appears to have all the makings of a "great" Winter Star Party!

bierbelly
Postmaster

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Vic Menard]
      #5667462 - 02/07/13 04:48 PM

Finally caught crux!

darklighteditorModerator
Theatre King

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: Sparty Nation
      #5668095 - 02/07/13 11:20 PM

Didn't anyone take photos?

It's a star party - we need photos...

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: darklighteditor]
      #5670498 - 02/09/13 10:52 AM

...or it didn't happen!

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: t.r.]
      #5670535 - 02/09/13 11:17 AM

Wow, quiet group down there!

Joe F Gafford
Carpal Tunnel

#5671558 - 02/09/13 11:11 PM

There was a lack of internet hotspots when I was down there in 2003, probably still is. I had to report from the hotels after WSP on the way home. There are internet access on the fields of the TSP and Okie-Tex star parties.

Joe

Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

Reged: 11/10/03

#5671594 - 02/09/13 11:35 PM

WSP has offered wifi on the observing field for several years now. It just doesn't work very well when more than a few people use it at one time.

Patrick
Postmaster

#5671629 - 02/10/13 12:02 AM Attachment (55 downloads)

Here's a few pics I took.

Patrick
Postmaster

#5671633 - 02/10/13 12:05 AM Attachment (47 downloads)

We actually had some very good weather, but on some nights we had abundant clouds right at sunset. However, the skies cleared as evening came on.

Patrick
Postmaster

#5671635 - 02/10/13 12:05 AM Attachment (49 downloads)

More pics...

Patrick
Postmaster

#5671638 - 02/10/13 12:07 AM Attachment (45 downloads)

The word going around was that attendance was down several hundred people this year. This was my first year and I thought there were a lot of people.

Patrick
Postmaster

#5671640 - 02/10/13 12:08 AM Attachment (42 downloads)

Here's a group on the Berm.

Patrick
Postmaster

#5671646 - 02/10/13 12:10 AM Attachment (41 downloads)

There were a wide variety of scopes there too. I only looked through this scope during the day time. It was trained on a light house 12 miles away and we could see the light as it rotated....awesome!

Patrick
Postmaster

#5671647 - 02/10/13 12:12 AM Attachment (48 downloads)

Here's a photo of Rick Burke and his sweet imaging setup.

Patrick
Postmaster

#5671649 - 02/10/13 12:13 AM Attachment (45 downloads)

Camping and observing on the berm seemed to be the place to be.

Patrick
Postmaster

#5671653 - 02/10/13 12:14 AM Attachment (46 downloads)

Looking down the beach. This is on Saturday so the crowd was thinning out.

Edited by Patrick (02/10/13 12:15 AM)

Patrick
Postmaster

#5671656 - 02/10/13 12:17 AM Attachment (39 downloads)

A few more...

Patrick
Postmaster

#5671658 - 02/10/13 12:17 AM Attachment (39 downloads)

yep...

Patrick
Postmaster

#5671660 - 02/10/13 12:18 AM Attachment (40 downloads)

one more...can't forget the great dinners at Micki's Kitchen!

Patrick
Postmaster

#5671662 - 02/10/13 12:20 AM Attachment (46 downloads)

Last one, but not the least...we had lots of great speakers!

djpontone

Reged: 04/27/08

#5671867 - 02/10/13 06:32 AM

Great pics thank u .One question , would u go again?

thesungazer
Sungazer

Reged: 05/06/03

Loc: Maryland
Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: djpontone]
      #5672053 - 02/10/13 09:51 AM

Thanks for the photos!

Greg

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: djpontone]
      #5672233 - 02/10/13 12:03 PM

Quote:

Well, sure, but it's a long drive for me and there are some other star parties I'd like to go to as well. I've enjoyed my time here without question though. What's not to like...dark skies, vendors, meeting fellow amateurs and talking shop, and observing together.

There were a number of 'shooting stars', one fireball that lit the whole area, and a lot of really nice streakers.

Patrick

Bigstar

Reged: 03/08/11

Loc: Naperville, IL
      #5672257 - 02/10/13 12:18 PM

Thanks for the pics. Maybe one day i'll get there

DeanS
Post Laureate

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Bigstar]
      #5672353 - 02/10/13 01:19 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

At the last minute I packed up and drove down. Sure glad I did as it was a great week of dark, steady, clear skies for the most part. I'll post pic later of the winning deep sky image too

Drove straight back yesterday, left at 8:10 and arrived home at 3:30 this morning. 1175 miles, and don't want to count the gallons of diesel. But always worth the trip!

Dean

Edited by DeanS (02/10/13 07:08 PM)

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
      #5672629 - 02/10/13 04:18 PM

Quote:

and a lot of really nice streakers.

The nice ones are always best.

Thanks for the pix!

Cotts
Just Wondering

#5673065 - 02/10/13 09:00 PM

Chris, there was no wifi on site this year. Astro gizmos' truck broke down on the way.

Monday -Friday: 5/5 useful nights. Clear 80% or so of most nights. To my eyes no night was totally wind-free AND transparent AND with world-class seeing. Each night we had to settle for only two of those three..... Mon., Tues and Wed. were a bit windy for the Berm-ites. Thurs. and Fri. were very dewy but were relatively wind-free.

Attendance was down for sure. The berm looked to be only 2/3 as full as the year before. The vendors mentioned that it was a 'light' year, too...

A superbly run event, as usual, by the SCAS folks!

Except for the fact that for the 7th year in a row I came up empty in the door prize draw.....

Dave

darklighteditorModerator
Theatre King

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: Sparty Nation
      #5673165 - 02/10/13 10:04 PM

Great pics! Thanks for posting them...

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: darklighteditor]
      #5673197 - 02/10/13 10:21 PM

Thanks for the pics folks and I'm glad the weather was decent to good. Sounds like a nice week.

Patrick
Postmaster

#5673255 - 02/10/13 10:57 PM

Nice Shot, Dean!

kfrederick
Carpal Tunnel

#5673599 - 02/11/13 08:07 AM

Nice pic My wife and I had a great time . Spent one night with Al Nangler and a great 32inch how cool is that. They had a great setup for a starparty .

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#5673640 - 02/11/13 08:52 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

Quote:

Except for the fact that for the 7th year in a row I came up empty in the door prize draw.....

Dave

Hi Dave, same here, no door prize at WSP... EVER!!!

Despite that, I had the best of times at the 2013 WSP. Good times with old friends and made a few new ones. As usual, the tops in the business are readily accessible, I had the pleasure of observing with Al Nagler on two evenings, Jon Joseph of Starlight instruments personally adjusted my 3" Feathertouch Focuser (thanks Jon), lunch with Mike Lockwood and on the last night I got to observe with Sue and Alan French. The attitude is laid back like the Florida Keys and I truly an amazing time whenever I attend. Being that I live in Miami it is easy for me to attend but if you are from up north and have not attended, I think that you should really take it into consideration. Unlike other Star Parties, there are tons of things to do in the Florida Keys like fishing, diving, snorkeling, bar hopping, etc... It's really a vacation and not just a star party. Here's a little postcard from the opposite part of the key that the WSP is held on. Enjoy...

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
      #5674044 - 02/11/13 01:11 PM Attachment (40 downloads)

Hi Sergio, I'm glad you folks all had a great time. I was at the 2010 WSP and had a great time. It's 1500 miles from Michigan but worth the drive.

BTW-I took the same pic only at high tide.

kfrederick
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: JimMo]
      #5675210 - 02/12/13 03:33 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

On the beach at WSP

bierbelly
Postmaster

#5675495 - 02/12/13 10:00 AM

Quote:

On the beach at WSP

Hey, my girlfriend and my brother's buddy...only two people at WSP who looked down more than up.

bierbelly
Postmaster

#5675511 - 02/12/13 10:10 AM

Here's my best artsy shot

Left the WSP early to enjoy some "down time" in Key West. Girlfriend and I went out on a chartered snorkel trip Sat. Turned out that one of the crew was a staff/helper at WSP and the ship's captain was more than moderatly interested in astronomy. Small world.

Edited by bierbelly (02/12/13 10:13 AM)

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5675523 - 02/12/13 10:15 AM

Patrick, we greatly appreciate you posting pictures of the star party, it gives those that can't attend their "Ahhhhhh".

Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5675536 - 02/12/13 10:23 AM

Winter Star Party Observing Report

Executive Summary: Six clear nights of viewing

Drove down with 13.1 in Teeter, 80 mm Apo, and 60 mm Lunt h-alpha. Stayed in a chickee, mostly cooked (minimally) for myself. Every night was essentially clear, except one that didn's clear until 8:30 PM. A couple spritzes of rain but nothing to cause any hassles. The only major hassle was heavy dew on a couple nights that soaked everything.

My first goal was to complete my AL Messier list, which I did on the first two nights. The second night, I went to sleep from 10 PM to 1 AM, and got up again to catch the final objects in Virgo. On Tuesday night (actually Wednesday morning) at 03:22 I bagged the final object M 61. I showed my field notes to Bill Bogardus, to back up the cleaned up log which I will send him for my AL Messier award.

The remainder of the the time was spent viewing Sue French's Snowbird Delights list from 2007 http://www.scas.org/WSP_Observing_Lists/Sue%20French%27s%20WSP%20Snowbird%20D... and Dave Chapman's Widefield list http://www.scas.org/WSP_Observing_Lists/ChapmanObservingList.pdf. I viewed about half the items on each list.
After the third night of extended viewing, I found myself ready to quit around midnight the remaining nights. Since we were starting about 7, those are still 5 hour viewing nights. Most of the other folks seemed to be on the same schedule, except for the astrophotographers.

I only attended two of the speakers, neither very good. I made an attempt to improve the quality of the speakers by volunteering for next year.

There were no other members from MHAA this year, but being my third year I have gotten to know some folks. Bill B and Jeff Norwood were there as vendors, and Alan Traino from NEAF/Rockland Astronomy club were there. Marty from Adirondack Astronomy Retreat was there, as were Sue and Alan French. And I set up my scope next to the tent of Gay and Joe Haldeman (Science fiction author), so there was plenty of good conversation.

The usual vendors were there, except for AstroGizmos, whose truck broke down en route. I picked up an iOptron Mini mount from Camera Concepts. It was used, so I saved some money, and both Jeff and the previous owner were there to help me figure the thing out.

Following the weather back home, I changed plans two or three times to try to maximize my viewing time, but also arrive home in not too bad weather. I finally left Saturday morning, arrived back in New Paltz late Monday afternoon to a driveway covered with 8-12 inches of snow.

bierbelly
Postmaster

#5675736 - 02/12/13 12:24 PM

I have to give credit where credit is due. My last visit to WSP was in 2007. Since that time, either through the efforts of SCAS or the Girl Scouts, the facilities have been upgraded considerably. The showers and toilets did not back-up as they did during my previous visit, and there was actually hot water available for morning showers! While I'm sure that the lesser attendance had something to do with this, I'm also sure that improvements have been made. Kudos to SCAS for a great star party!

bierbelly
Postmaster

#5675750 - 02/12/13 12:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, sure, but it's a long drive for me and there are some other star parties I'd like to go to as well. I've enjoyed my time here without question though. What's not to like...dark skies, vendors, meeting fellow amateurs and talking shop, and observing together.

There were a number of 'shooting stars', one fireball that lit the whole area, and a lot of really nice streakers.

Patrick

Whoa! I didn't think anyone saw me!

kfrederick
Carpal Tunnel

#5677589 - 02/13/13 12:19 PM

It was a very nice run event We had a great time .

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
      #5678326 - 02/13/13 08:42 PM

Thanks for the pictures, Patrick. Did it ever rain while you were there..and how would you rate the night sky there.

Bill

bierbelly
Postmaster

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Bill Barlow]
      #5679650 - 02/14/13 02:41 PM

It rained a bit, but not at times to really affect observing. The nite sky is compromised a little by light pollution to the east (Marathon Key) and west (Key West), but pretty darned good above and to the south, where most want to look.

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
      #5680045 - 02/14/13 06:46 PM

Okay, thanks for the information. What kind of scope were Sue and Alan French using?

Bill

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Bill Barlow]
      #5680168 - 02/14/13 08:29 PM

I am not sure which scope Sue and Alan personally brought but when they observed with me it was through mt 16" F4 Starstructure.

Joe F Gafford
Carpal Tunnel

#5680263 - 02/14/13 09:45 PM

Quote:

I have to give credit where credit is due. My last visit to WSP was in 2007. Since that time, either through the efforts of SCAS or the Girl Scouts, the facilities have been upgraded considerably. The showers and toilets did not back-up as they did during my previous visit, and there was actually hot water available for morning showers! While I'm sure that the lesser attendance had something to do with this, I'm also sure that improvements have been made. Kudos to SCAS for a great star party!

Above problem is one of the reasons I did not go to WSP since 2003. I got caught in the shower one night when the plumbing decided to back up. I had to go and clean my feet and lower legs out into the surf! I'm glad that they finally did improve the plumbing. The plumbers were called out twice in 2003.

Joe

Howie Glatter
Vendor

#5680327 - 02/14/13 10:20 PM

"I got caught in the shower one night when the plumbing decided to back up. I had to go and clean my feet and lower legs out into the surf!

Maybe as an alternative you could just take a cruse on the Carnival line.

kfrederick
Carpal Tunnel

#5680769 - 02/15/13 07:22 AM

I thought they did a great job this year . Howie great to see you . I was impressed how steady the sky was. The sun in Howie twin telescopes was great And excited to share the chief.The highlight was the views in a 32inch with Al and his wife . Got some good ideas on my cell from Howie .The views in that 32 was worth the trip.

Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
      #5684482 - 02/17/13 12:14 AM

Quote:

Above problem is one of the reasons I did not go to WSP since 2003. I got caught in the shower one night when the plumbing decided to back up. I had to go and clean my feet and lower legs out into the surf! I'm glad that they finally did improve the plumbing. The plumbers were called out twice in 2003.

Joe

Complaining about a star party with plumbing of any kind? Showers? If I was inclined to teasing I'd call you a sissy. But I won't. Sounds like a cushy site on the whole. I'm used to star parties where the only luxury is a Port-a-John that hasn't blown over in the wind.

That being said I do hope to get to the WSP one day but it's a long way from my spot on the west coast. I do think though that my wife would like a few days in late winter laying on a beach. She's not prone to wanting to camp at high altitude and close to or even sub freezing tempertures at night.

Bill

Joe F Gafford
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #5685424 - 02/17/13 03:44 PM

I did complain because during the two visits to WSP I racked more day trips than at the other venues I've been to from coast to coast. I would like to be halfway clean to visit these places. Also, I observed that there were too many people at this venue for the facilities to cope. This particular venue is made for little girls, not for irregular middle aged men! This past WSP with the smaller attendance seems to prove that.

My usual places are out in the primitive areas usually above 7,000 ft. Shovel required.

Joe

Pkgastro

Reged: 12/27/12

#5685873 - 02/17/13 08:11 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

I had a great time!

bierbelly
Postmaster

#5686545 - 02/18/13 08:07 AM

Quote:

I did complain because during the two visits to WSP I racked more day trips than at the other venues I've been to from coast to coast. I would like to be halfway clean to visit these places. Also, I observed that there were too many people at this venue for the facilities to cope. This particular venue is made for little girls, not for irregular middle aged men! This past WSP with the smaller attendance seems to prove that.

My usual places are out in the primitive areas usually above 7,000 ft. Shovel required.

Joe

Yeah and the mirrors in the BR are too low!

Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

#5688466 - 02/19/13 08:36 AM

And the mattresses are too short. I barely fit, and Dave Cotterell's feet extend a foot over the end.

Great event nevertheless.

Cotts
Just Wondering

#5688613 - 02/19/13 10:26 AM

Well, we all have our little crosses to bear....

OTOH I'm that much nearer to the stars....

Dave

Spoonsize
DURHAM 157494

Reged: 08/27/04

Loc: Stuck in a Time Warp.
      #5702103 - 02/26/13 05:12 PM

A walk thru the Winter Star Party......2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwSdEGFhL_0

kfrederick
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Winter Star Party 2013 new [Re: Spoonsize]
      #5703054 - 02/27/13 08:39 AM

Nice clip of the star party. He even got me in it.

bierbelly
Postmaster

#5703109 - 02/27/13 09:24 AM

Bummer, we'd already bugged out by the time this was taken.

Joe F Gafford
Carpal Tunnel

#5704109 - 02/27/13 07:40 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

Nice clip indeed. The attendance in 2002 and 2003 was much higher. We were in like sardines, but we all managed. I was setup both times between those three palm trees at the east end of the berm across from the showers. Even after the trifecta of problems in 2003 I had with the sewer backup, the loss of 7 astronauts just before and another potential problem that almost turned into a nasty legal one that I still won't mention at this time, I had a good time. Finances are the problem that kept me from returning to WSP. I had to drop TSP a few years later for the same reason.
WSP 2003, about mid berm.

Joe

rockethead26
Post Laureate

#5704279 - 02/27/13 09:10 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the walk thru. It brought back good memories from the two times I attended in the early 90s. Can't beat the location and that southern horizon.

Vic Menard
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/21/04

Loc: Bradenton, FL
      #5704303 - 02/27/13 09:24 PM

Quote:

Hunh...that's my SST on the berm at about 5:52 to 6:02.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9422

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics