Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
FJA
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Steph]
      #5869250 - 05/18/13 12:32 PM

Quote:

That's a lovely shot, Jim!

*sigh* You people just don't know how to take pics at a star party. Why, back in my TSP days, we had pages and pages of people doing stuff and having fun!

I dunno. Just can't get the staff these days. *shakes head*

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Unknownastron
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Sout...
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Steph]
      #5869562 - 05/18/13 03:26 PM

Jim, a gorgeious picture of Panstarrs!
Clear skies and clean glass,
Mike

Svezda
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/01/07

Loc: Texas
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Alvin Huey]
      #5871620 - 05/19/13 02:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks to Alvin and to Perry Remaklus of Willmann-Bell, I'm back in business with my beloved Megastar! It wasn't real easy to figure out, but unless it stops working again , it should be good to go.

Glad that you able to track Perry down. Funny how you called his answering machine and he is probably only 100 feet away.

Hope for more clear nights. I really hope that TSP 2014 is not in May-June timeframe, if it is, I'm skipping it.

Alvin

Whenever it is in future years, we all hope to see you there! I've been 26 times now in the last 27 years and of course it is traditional that the star party is almost always in the month of May...and it is also traditional that mostly the weather is fantastic for astronomy then. There have been a number of TSP's in May with 7 for 7 wonderful, clear nights. I don't remember the couple that were in the first week of June very well (Mike Planchon is great for remembering which nights of which years were good or bad - he can recite long lists of them) but I recall that they were good but wayyy too hot for my taste. The ones that were in late April were by no means all good. April in much of Texas is known for stormy and even violent weather. I think that over the last 27 years I've had at least three quarters excellent conditions at TSP and maybe half of the remainder 'good' with maybe the other half of the rest of the years not good. Only two were 'washouts' - the one year in the early 90's where the winning astrophoto was a lightning photo and then in 2005 (IIRC) where it was cloudy/misty each and every awful day. We just don't have such consistent weather out there (like most locations) that you can predict that each and every year if TSP is held in week 'x' of month 'y' that conditions will be either mostly clear or mostly cloudy and stormy.

Svezda
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: derangedhermit]
      #5871636 - 05/19/13 02:40 PM

Quote:

(edited)
Everything we brought, including our skin, is saturated in fine dust and perforated by sandspurs.

Join the club! You are now a TSP'er! I have 'Prude Dust' on each piece of eqpt I've ever brought out there, some of it from 1987, the first year I was there. I am convinced from experience that even hosing off stuff doesn't eliminate it. The best hope is firmly wiping with wet cloths, but small crevices which aren't easily accessible shall remain saturated with Prude Dust for future archaeologists to analyze.

Svezda
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: galaxy_jason]
      #5871645 - 05/19/13 02:43 PM

Quote:

Capturing lots of time lapse video and will put together a movie when I get home. Here is a preview done before blackout so there are some ground lights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZiZk3jX9Qo

Love it!! You got the camera moving horizontally like those incredible videos I've seen in the last year or so of the Milky Way rising from various midwestern plains locations (IIRC). I hope to see a longer video from you soon to show others who don't know much about astronomy or the TSP experience.

FJA
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Svezda]
      #5871729 - 05/19/13 03:25 PM

I've still got Prude Dust in my holdall from my visits. So, it's well-travelled Transatlantic Prude Dust...

KenSikes

Reged: 01/17/10

Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: FJA]
      #5876870 - 05/21/13 08:24 PM

The TSP has been over for a wek and still no pictures ????????? Did everyone forget their cameras ?

Ken Sikes

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: KenSikes]
      #5876954 - 05/21/13 09:14 PM

Quote:

The TSP has been over for a wek and still no pictures ????????? Did everyone forget their cameras ?

Ken Sikes

I just didn't take any. One star party looks like all the others to me.

The only thing I really wish I had a picture of is the upper field at night. I went up there for the first time at night to visit a friend and I thought I had walked onto the landing site set of "Close Encounters". Holy smokes, after I got to the west side of the field and turned around, all I saw was a couple of acres of red computer monitors and every color of flashing LEDs. It could have been a JPL or NASA control center. I have never seen anything like it before. Bizarre comes to mind.

I usually hang out down on the middle field where it's less crowded and where the "less serious" folks hang out.

I did take this picture on my way out of Fort Davis:

Hwy 17, West Texas

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5877574 - 05/22/13 09:05 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

Ok I will add a few iPhone pics.

1st in line.

DeanS
Post Laureate

Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: DeanS]
      #5877576 - 05/22/13 09:06 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

Drug store

DeanS
Post Laureate

#5877578 - 05/22/13 09:07 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

Best bar in town.

DeanS
Post Laureate

#5877581 - 05/22/13 09:08 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

gang of rough looking outlaws riding thru town.

DeanS
Post Laureate

#5877585 - 05/22/13 09:09 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

Wiping some Prude Ranch dust off the scope.

DeanS
Post Laureate

#5877586 - 05/22/13 09:10 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

Old McDonald..........

DeanS
Post Laureate

#5877590 - 05/22/13 09:13 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

Rocks!

DeanS
Post Laureate

#5877783 - 05/22/13 11:12 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Here is an upper field pic a friend took.

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #5878078 - 05/22/13 01:39 PM

Quote:

The only thing I really wish I had a picture of is the upper field at night. I went up there for the first time at night to visit a friend and I thought I had walked onto the landing site set of "Close Encounters". Holy smokes, after I got to the west side of the field and turned around, all I saw was a couple of acres of red computer monitors and every color of flashing LEDs. It could have been a JPL or NASA control center. I have never seen anything like it before. Bizarre comes to mind.

There is a really good scene of this in Jason's video of the Texas Star Party on a separate thread starting at 3:27 on the timeline.

Svezda
scholastic sledgehammer

#5878180 - 05/22/13 02:26 PM

Quote:

I did take this picture on my way out of Fort Davis:

Hwy 17, West Texas

This is a wonderful photo! I wish I could save a copy, but it's restricted on Flickr. Is there any chance you'd let interested people have a copy? Thanks! I love Fort Davis and the Big Bend area in general and like to save my favorite photos from there.

Svezda
scholastic sledgehammer

#5878200 - 05/22/13 02:34 PM

Quote:

I have not had time to work on any of my images yet on my desktop at home. Here is M100 I processed on a laptop at the star party. Has some potential with all the smaller fainter galaxies in the back ground.

Taken with the AGO Newt and QSI640

Dean

Incredible image! Astronomy Picture of the Day material? Great job.

Svezda
scholastic sledgehammer

#5878218 - 05/22/13 02:39 PM

Quote:

Hi Dave,

Nice meeting you and Rob at the TSP. I thought my 1250 mile one-way rip was long, but 1900, ouch!

Next May I'll be moving back to Flagstaff, so I most likely will not return to the TSP again. I agree that late may will most likely be a hot one.

All the best!

I guess being from Texas I don't get the too hot thing, because Fort Davis was always an oasis /away from/ the hot weather in the rest of the state! It is so dry there that hot isn't as hot as elsewhere. Plus, the nights are /much more comfortable/ than the 24-25F I experienced last time in late April at TSP and even during this early May TSP I recorded temps around 35F for the low a couple early mornings. Also, a lot of people spend the days sleeping or attending indoor talks during the hottest part of the days. I would definitely not miss TSP due to thinking it was too hot unless one has health issues with it. I wouldn't miss due to the expected bad weather unless one is very good with a crystal ball!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11575

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics