Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Svezda]
      #5878227 - 05/22/13 02:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I did take this picture on my way out of Fort Davis:

Hwy 17, West Texas

This is a wonderful photo! I wish I could save a copy, but it's restricted on Flisckr. Is there any chance you'd let interested people have a copy? Thanks! I love Fort Davis and the Big Bend area in general and like to save my favorite photos from there.

PM sent

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Svezda
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/01/07

Loc: Texas
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5878235 - 05/22/13 02:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My summary...
This was my 3rd TSP, and probably the least productive. If I recall correctly, here is a night by night recap:

EDIT

Tuesday night was so-so. I started working on an older Wagner list and discovered that most of the objects were very low to the horizon in the south. I spent a lot of time sitting on the ground at my dob's eyepiece. I eventually gave up on that and resumed the Herschel II list. I was having very little luck. Transparency was just 3/5 and I was struggling with mag 12 to 13 galaxies in Hydra. When a mag 14 galaxy came up on my list, I knew it wasn't going to happen. The cold that I had picked up was winning. I gave up at about 1:30.
[EDITED]
Actually, Tuesday night/Wednesday morning offered the best transparency of the entire week. You quit too soon. The Milky Way really kicked in during the early morning.

Wednesday night was overcast.

There were fairly long patches of clear sky on Thursday night. My friend Robert and I observed off and on until nearly 3:00 a.m. Around that time, it began to sprinkle slightly.

Since Robert and I had packed everything up on Friday, we resorted to binocular observing and a few views through a nearby Dob on Friday night. I had already finished the binocular list on Tuesday but Robert was able to qualify for a TSP pin with his observations that night. He also received the Galaxy Illusions pin for his observations earlier in the week.

We drove over 1900 miles to get to the Prude Ranch so it was a long return trip for us too.

I'm afraid that next year's late May TSP may be too hot for me, as well.

Dave Mitsky

Yes indeed - Tuesday night was classic TSP sky...it wasn't the best, but I ranked it as an 8 out of 10 for Milky Way detail, my way of getting a quick quantitative idea of how transparent a TSP night is. It wasn't just for a little while, either - it was for hours. You do have to stay up late, since the Milky Way doesn't get high until quite late and also you never know what will happen with the skies in the good number of hours from after midnight until twilight starts. I find it harder and harder to stay awake and alert for observing after 1am as I age, but I sure try since often the best conditions seem to happen after 1am or so.

Svezda
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/01/07

Loc: Texas
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Unknownastron]
      #5878250 - 05/22/13 02:48 PM

Quote:

I'm back home after spending 3 extra days in Ft. Davis. Made a couple of daytime trip to the observatory and my wife and I had a good afternoon and evening observing wildlife at the state park.
I was disappointed in the weather as were most people but for me just getting to go after missing last year while recovering from heart surgery made it a big success. When you have a chance you will never go to another TSP (or even see a night sky again), go through all the financial consequences of major surgery, disability and retirement for almost a year, then worry you may not be able to handle the altitude any kind of weather at the TSP is a success. By the way, I handled the thin air with no trouble. I missed some observing as I was a bit too tired to stay up all night waiting to see if it clears. But a little Sunday, a good Monday night, a little Tuesday late and unexpected Friday for observing I will take. This was a very strange weather pattern for the area. Even a guide at the observatory commented on how three weather patterns, from different directions, had dominated at different times during the past 10 days. But hey, weather patterns are weird everywhere. Baseball game called in Kansas City on may 1 due to SNOW?
I give up at predicting any weather until it is happening.
I will be at TSP next year and every year until my or my wife's health prevents it. I am renewed. I am confident again.
Clear skies and clean glass,
Mike

It was so good to have you and Anna back again, Mike, and it's great to hear that you have plans to be back every year if at all possible, which has been my plan since my first year at TSP in 1987...one was enough to make TSP a permanent annual vacation for me.

FJA
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Svezda]
      #5878615 - 05/22/13 05:27 PM

Thanks for the photos, guys

I'm sorry the weather was poor in the second half of the week, that's the problem with star parties.

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: FJA]
      #6103802 - 09/27/13 10:03 AM Attachment (9 downloads)

I saw on the TSP website that Jim Trees has passed away. I think most everyone has had to pass the watchful eye of cowboy Jim as you come and go thru the gates over the many years. I imagine Jim is now doing guard duty at those pearly white gates.

RIP Jim.
http://texasstarparty.org/

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11543

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics