Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Svezda]
      #5845254 - 05/07/13 10:21 AM

Darnit, I really need to get out there one of these years. So hard to do with an almost 6 month old son at home and work work work all the time.

For those of you from other States, I live in Texas and it would still be about a 9 hour drive. El Paso is halfway from my neck of the woods to San Diego. Think about that.

Anywho, PLEASE take lots of pictures!!!

Be safe and Clear Skies.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #5845373 - 05/07/13 11:39 AM

Monday night started out looking not so pretty, but after midnight, turned out quite nice. Still average seeing, but the transparency went up to 4 out of 5 and it was a great night for hunting down galaxies on my Herschel list.

Beautiful Milky Way rising last night. After a quick look as some of my favorites in Sagittarius, I called it quits around 3 am.

That's it for now.

Svezda
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/01/07

Loc: Texas
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5845383 - 05/07/13 11:49 AM

Quote:

Monday night started out looking not so pretty, but after midnight, turned out quite nice. Still average seeing, but the transparency went up to 4 out of 5 and it was a great night for hunting down galaxies on my Herschel list.

Beautiful Milky Way rising last night. After a quick look as some of my favorites in Sagittarius, I called it quits around 3 am.

That's it for now.

You are so right...I was really worried about prospects for last night but it was great! 53F at 2:30am when I quit seemed so cold last night, somehow...but it sure beat 24-25F last year in late April for morning lows the first couple of nights.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5845423 - 05/07/13 12:20 PM

We need photos!

StephAdministrator
Texas Wildflower

Reged: 06/11/05

Loc: North Texas
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5845480 - 05/07/13 12:48 PM

And I'm talkin' people pics, not just field set-up pics....

I *am* glad y'all got some sky last night; when I saw posts on FB and some of you online here around 10-11-12 last night, I was worried y'all had gotten totally clouded out. Happy to hear it cleared up!

FJA
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Steph]
      #5845524 - 05/07/13 01:02 PM

Quote:

And I'm talkin' people pics, not just field set-up pics....

I *am* glad y'all got some sky last night; when I saw posts on FB and some of you online here around 10-11-12 last night, I was worried y'all had gotten totally clouded out. Happy to hear it cleared up!

YES! We want pictures!

Please.

Steve Daniel

Reged: 06/03/12

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: FJA]
      #5845578 - 05/07/13 01:20 PM

Hello all, seems like I remember hearing something about a Cloudynights social or happy hour or something out here at TSP. When and where is it?

Alvin Huey
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/18/05

Loc: NorCal
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Steve Daniel]
      #5846045 - 05/07/13 04:38 PM

Quote:

Hello all, seems like I remember hearing something about a Cloudynights social or happy hour or something out here at TSP. When and where is it?

Two hours ago...if it was held at the same time and day as usual. Darrell (snorkler) usually heads it. Most who attended the CN malt run last year didn't make it this year, including me, Faith, Len and Darrell.

Svezda
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Alvin Huey]
      #5847001 - 05/08/13 01:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Two hours ago...if it was held at the same time and day as usual. Darrell (snorkler) usually heads it. Most who attended the CN malt run last year didn't make it this year, including me, Faith, Len and Darrell.

I made the 'malt run' myself in the afternoon and it was lonely without all of you but it still tasted verrrrry good.

Svezda
scholastic sledgehammer

#5847016 - 05/08/13 01:32 AM

if anyone is at TSP who knows a little about simple computer issues, I could really use some help with my Megastar issue mentioned a page back or so...am staying in Harmony 3 not far from the upper field middle stairs. Thanks if you could help...

Alvin Huey
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/18/05

Loc: NorCal
      #5847072 - 05/08/13 02:53 AM

Jason...what I did was copy the executable from my old machine. Now I keep that executable on my "NAS" box. I don't install anymore, but just copy the whole folder now, including the executable.

Oh, I'm not sure if you knew that there was an updated exe file on Willman Bell. Or go see Remekulus (owner of Willman Bell) at AstroCards table...he usually hangs out there...he is the short white haired dude with glasses...someone who is obviously not Kepple or Sanner...but he hangs out there ...very often.

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5847440 - 05/08/13 10:05 AM

Sigh..........

still no photos. How do we know anyone's there without pics?

Svezda
scholastic sledgehammer

#5847549 - 05/08/13 11:05 AM

Quote:

Jason...what I did was copy the executable from my old machine. Now I keep that executable on my "NAS" box. I don't install anymore, but just copy the whole folder now, including the executable.

Oh, I'm not sure if you knew that there was an updated exe file on Willman Bell. Or go see Remekulus (owner of Willman Bell) at AstroCards table...he usually hangs out there...he is the short white haired dude with glasses...someone who is obviously not Kepple or Sanner...but he hangs out there ...very often.

Alvin, THANKS! I tried to call Willmann-Bell to see if I could get them to overnight me a replacement disk, which I found out through searching CN archived posts has been updated and the program will install on newer machines.

...BUT, when I called I found that they have a message on their answering machine stating that they are closed and will be out of the office until the 13th. I thought, 'oh man, what a great week for them to be closed!' Little did I know that they are HERE!

I wish I'd have known that Monday at lunch and I'd have gotten some help. Maybe he can help me without the new disk. My brother did what you recommended (I'm not so savvy with these issues - I just use my computer and need to learn some basic repair and mtce skills...). However, the program stopped opening after two days. I have no idea what changed.

Anyway, thanks a lot for answering, Alvin.

Svezda
scholastic sledgehammer

#5847584 - 05/08/13 11:32 AM

Last night at TSP was fantastic. Yesterday was yet another day where I said to myself, 'oh well, at least I will be able to catch up on my sleep tonight...' (because it was so cloudy /all/ day, with more heavy clouds later in the day, not those nice puffy cumulus clouds that we are used to here on May afternoons that blow away after dark).

Well, lo and behold, again late in the evening it cleared up beautifully! It was around 50F by midnight, down to 42F when I stopped observing at 3:15am, and 37F was recorded as my minimum observed temp. It was not at all uncomfortable, there was absolutely no dew, and there was not even a light breeze all night. The Milky Way wasn't as detailed as I've seen on the best nights here but it was 3/4 as good as it gets here, anyway.

Seeing was 'so-so', however, as it was last night. Star images weren't the usual pinpoints that I often see with my 14.5-inch Zambuto glass and details on Saturn were very fleeting (hard to see because the lasted only tiny fractions of a second). I can only see 6th mag stars but people with better acuity I think could push 7th mag here for sure last night (BTW, I bought a pair of glass lens prescription lenses late last year with 0.5 diopter added correction and they worked wonders for seeing fainter, more pinpoint stars. This is the first TSP I've had them and wouldn't observe without them now. The crown glass + antireflective coatings won't scratch if normal care is taken while cleaning, and won't scratch easily if pressed up against eyepieces as will plastic lenses).

Tom Laskowski

Reged: 04/28/08

Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA
      #5847634 - 05/08/13 12:05 PM

Last night = great night. I went all the way until dawn. I finished off two of Larry's older lists that I had been working on plus completed most of what I was planning to do for the entire week. Two more nights like this and I'll go home very happy.

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Tom Laskowski]
      #5847759 - 05/08/13 01:21 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

Hi Jim,

Has been great so far, just got up myself after seeing the sun come up 2 mornings in a row.

Stop by and say hello. I am on the east side on the upper field near the center steps, right in front of a maroon van. And the Casita travel trailer under the wall.

Dean

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: DeanS]
      #5847769 - 05/08/13 01:27 PM

Dean, thanks for the photo for those of us that are starving for photos!

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5847853 - 05/08/13 02:08 PM

I'd love to post some pics, but I have no way to do it. I'm technologically challenged.

As Tom and Svezda already stated, last night was another good one. I didn't even pull the cover off my scope until about 11:15 when it started looking promising. Seeing average, but transparency was good all night with some fluctuations. At about 2 am the transparency got very good for almost an hour (I'd give it a 4+) so that I could plainly follow both spiral arms of M51 and actually see the granulation of the H-II regions. It was a sweet view.

I made it through another 20 Herschel objects and spent about 2 hours just enjoying old favorites. I hit the wall at 3:30.

Forecast questionable for tonight, but taken with a grain of salt.

ErixAdministrator
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04

Loc: Texas, USA
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5848115 - 05/08/13 04:16 PM

Would everyone like to get together tomorrow (Thursday) around 3:30 for ice cream at the drug store?

I've got stacks of photos but need to resize them for CN. I've gone two nights in a row until 6am. Skies have been clearing up pretty nice as the nights progress. Stacks of notes and a few sketches here and there. I'm having a fantastic time.

Right, time for a nap! Managed four hours sleep this morning. And about four hours total yesterday.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Tom Laskowski]
      #5848295 - 05/08/13 05:40 PM

Gastronaut and I heard the roosters crowing long before we went to bed the past two nights. We saw great passes of the HST shortly before 6:00 a. m. each morning.

The Milky Way easily cast a shadow last night. Omega Centauri was magnificent through Gastronaut's 22" SDM Dob and a 10mm Ethos. The breadth of Comet PanSTARRS tail was striking. A number of Eta Aquarids were seen.

I took a tour of the McDonald Observatory yesterday. Not long ago Larry Mitchell gave a very interesting talk on the illusion of interacting galaxies.

Dave Mitsky

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11253

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics