Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
AdirondackAstro
sage

Reged: 06/06/11

Loc: Plattsburgh, NY
Cg-4 and polar scope
      #5572468 - 12/15/12 11:55 AM

I just received my polar scope in the mail yesterday. I successfully aligned it to a far away object, and can rotate it with the onject staying in the center of the cross-hair. I'm wondering if setting the time and date is completely necessay to use the polar scope? Wouldn't I still be able to put Polaris in the little circle to center the NCP in the cross-hairs without knowing Polaris transit times?

Edited by AdirondackAstro (12/15/12 11:57 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
Re: Cg-4 and polar scope new [Re: AdirondackAstro]
      #5573035 - 12/15/12 07:19 PM

Put the mount in the Home Position with the counter weight bar over the North leg. Align the polar scope so the long tail of the center cross is lined up with the counter weight bar.

Rotate the mount in RA and verify the center cross does not wander. If the center cross wanders, use the scope adjustment screws to keep the cross centered.

To do a polar alignment you can use this procedure: http://www.weasner.com/lxd/techtips/polar_alignment.html

AdirondackAstro
sage

Re: Cg-4 and polar scope new [Re: Cliff Hipsher]
      #5573264 - 12/15/12 09:27 PM

Thank you very much. Pretty much confirmed that once I align it with the RA axis I don't NEED to set it up according to Polaris Transit times. As long as I can get Polaris in the little circle and have Cass. and Ursa Major in the right positions I should be good to go.

ourobouros2k2
sage

Reged: 11/10/11

Loc: okc area, oklahoma
Re: Cg-4 and polar scope new [Re: AdirondackAstro]
      #5573337 - 12/15/12 10:26 PM

If you want a little more accuracy, download the TakAlign app for iphone (and other devices). Just place polaris on the outer ring in close proximity to the position indicated on the Takalign app for the hour angle of polaris. As soon as my illuminated eyepiece gets here I will further refine my alignments with Alignmaster program. I like it easy!

AdirondackAstro
sage

Re: Cg-4 and polar scope new [Re: ourobouros2k2]
      #5573480 - 12/16/12 12:46 AM

Thanks for the app suggestion, Andrew. I'll give it a shot on the next clear night. I got out for a quick test run tonight before the clouds and the polar alignment gave me 1 minute exposures with no star trails. I'm pretty sure I could do 2 minutes if light pollution would allow it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
20 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 425

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics