Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Rifts Everywhere
      #5572599 - 12/15/12 01:16 PM Attachment (54 downloads)

A little late to comment tonight, more later. Just wanted to get the sketch up. Will talk about the rifts and colors tomorrow.

15 Dec 1330UT.

Edit: toned down the green a bit.

Edited by Asbytec (12/15/12 10:52 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
Re: Rifts Everywhere new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5572627 - 12/15/12 01:32 PM

Norme,

Good sketch of Jupiter .

CS,KLU,

Tom

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Rifts Everywhere new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #5572699 - 12/15/12 02:45 PM

Omggggg!!!!!

Lol wow.

More later.

Damn!!

Pwte

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: Rifts Everywhere new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5572727 - 12/15/12 03:04 PM

Again an impressive sketch!

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Rifts Everywhere new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #5573120 - 12/15/12 08:15 PM

Wow, here is an image by Satoshi Ota on ALPO Japan from last night, already. I am a little shocked by their similarities. And, dang it, should have believed my lying eyes. Saw a faint wisp from that festoon and doubted myself.

Was particulary interested in the NNTB, the area above the faint spot, and what the heck I was seeing above the NTB - a patch of faint albedo north of the NTB.

http://alpo-j.asahikawa-med.ac.jp/kk12/j121215z.htm

Anyway, I think the colors are nowhere near what his image shows. Again, trying too hard and probably not doing a great job. Need one of those paint color charts outside...at night.

The north is too green, but that's something in the translation gone wrong. I don't think my pallet is that green. It might be. Maybe the whole image is a bit too green.

Anyway, the NEB appears completely washed out with two barges: one prominent, the other pretty faint. What was striking, however, was the way those two rifts rose into the NEB almost like two streams emanating from the EZ. The NEB lacked it's ruddy glow, but it was more reddish than the SEB.

Speaking of which, the SEB is a little less boring at CMI ~40. There is some activity along the edge of the SEBn.

Got another white spot. Glimpsed it, posted it, and got lucky there actually is one just about right there.

Edited by Asbytec (12/15/12 08:35 PM)

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5573193 - 12/15/12 08:49 PM

That you picked off that spot in the north polar region is incredible. That's paler than those white spots but you got it. You've hit a stride with your Jupiter observing/sketching that's unlike last year in spades. This is a whole other level Norme. You've got to be proud. The last several renderings are terrific.

Pete

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Rifts Everywhere new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5573291 - 12/15/12 09:49 PM

Pete, that fainter spot appeared clearly about once. I kept it because it was so clearly visible for a good second or two. I cannot find it in any image, though. However, since lighter hues in the north are seen routinely, I felt comfortable with the observation.

That fainter spot just south of the NNTB seemed to have a lighter streak over the top and some very difficult darker albedo above that. That was a difficult observation.

Yea, I really think, over time, the lessor CO is really adding to the enjoyment. Sometimes I cannot believe it myself, I just look down in awe wishing someone were here to see it, too. And sometimes I am a bit leery of posting a sketch, but that is really pretty much what's there in good seeing, cooled and perfectly collimated. I just cannot deny it, though, and those details do not always come easy. Gotta be patient and focused - both mechanically and mentally.

Yea, Jupiter has really been something this year. Thank you for saying so, Pete. I am proud, and am feeling the need to see what else can be pulled from that scope under these conditions. That's why I want to push the envelop on color perception. Is there anything more to be seen? What are the limits? I get that from you, BTW.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
      #5573395 - 12/15/12 11:07 PM

Norme,

You are seeing and capturing an amazing amount of detail.

The colors are also a sight to behold.

Frank

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Rifts Everywhere new [Re: frank5817]
      #5573505 - 12/16/12 01:13 AM

Thank you, Frank. I do truly feel blessed with a good scope in great conditions. Jupiter has been very kind.

I really don;t want to harp on MTF, but I feel my scope is working right at it's limits in steady skies, cooled and collimated. It regularly gives those great views those moments of steady seeing allow..those views we wait for patiently. That is a blessing, and though I am not entirely a religious man, I do thank God at times.

Thank you, again.

Heidescoper
sage

Reged: 11/21/10

Loc: Niedersachsen, Germany
      #5573591 - 12/16/12 03:46 AM

hi Norme,

wow what a detailed Jupiter sketch with 6" .
With wich magnification You have worked ?

I hope to seee this intresiting rift part next time.
The last nights I saw "only" the GRS region.

Bye Christian

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Rifts Everywhere new [Re: Heidescoper]
      #5573601 - 12/16/12 04:08 AM

Christian, it's an hour and a half trailing the GRS. Wait for it.

I'm sorry, that was at 174x (~30x per inch) using 18mm UO HD Ortho and a 1.6x Celestron Shorty.

Seeing was 8/10 or better, transparency was 3 to 4/5. That was CMI about 40 degrees.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
      #5574583 - 12/16/12 06:11 PM

More of your further improving and impressive work, Norme. I really enjoy how you represent the rippling wake in the SEB, as it follows the GRS. I am still trying to see that much detail there.

Edited by Chopin (12/16/12 06:13 PM)

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Rifts Everywhere new [Re: Chopin]
      #5574625 - 12/16/12 06:38 PM

Norme, very impressive in every respect. I have observed the little white spot in the South Cap with great effort and patience. The North Cap, WOW! There is so much detail to observe and not enough time or clear skies. The planets seem to come and go way too quickly.

Ed D

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Rifts Everywhere new [Re: Ed D]
      #5574835 - 12/16/12 09:41 PM

Ed, your said it, great effort and patients. They are not easy, and I suspect I can only see the larger ones.

Jason, it's so much easier when seeing "freezes" Jupiter, especially and importantly, for periods of time long enough to actually get a good look. The wake sits there undisturbed.

Thank you both. It's been a real treat observing Jupiter.

stray1
sage

Reged: 09/03/12

Loc: SW Ohio
      #5575150 - 12/17/12 04:19 AM

Hi Norme,

Really glad that you captured that "scratch" along the northern edge of the STB. I thought that I might have been imagining it, but if you're also seeing it, then something is definitely going on there (or, at least, was going on...did not see it this morning (12-17-2012; 0510 UT)).

-stray-

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Rifts Everywhere new [Re: stray1]
      #5575193 - 12/17/12 05:21 AM

Mark, yea, it trails the GRS and can be seen for quite some distance around the disc. But, not all the way around. It's still there, you'll catch it again.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 776

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics