Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1
stargazer424
sage

Reged: 10/03/05

Loc: Central NJ
New Jersey Star Parties?
      #5577163 - 12/18/12 11:32 AM

I know it's winter and maybe its too cold for it, but are there any upcoming star parties in New Jersey (specifically for me in central Jersey)?

I see websites for one in North Jersey at Stokes State Forest but it looks like it happens only 2x a year and doesn't look like they even updated it for Fall of 2012, let alone 2013. If they do have one in 2013 I plan on going.

Then there is one in South Jersey at Belleplain State Forest but it happened in October. Looks like they also have regular "Sky Watches" but its nearly 2 hours away from me.

Are there other ones that occur regularly? Are there any in Central Jersey?

Or if you live in Central Jersey, where do you go to use your telescope (if a backyard is not an option)?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RobTeeter
Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

Reged: 09/30/04

Loc: Rockaway, NJ
Re: New Jersey Star Parties? new [Re: stargazer424]
      #5579700 - 12/19/12 09:47 PM

Dan,
Not sure I can help you with observing in Central Jersey except to point you toward the STAR Astronomy Club which meets at Brookdale Community College in Lincroft. They do a lot of observing down in the Pine Barrens. You can check their Forum to see if/when members are going out observing.

Regarding the Stokes Star Party - I just updated the website for our Spring 2013 event, which will be April 5-7. We've got probably the darkest spot left in Jersey where we observe, and it's the highest in elevation. On site bunks and pretty good sight seeing and hiking during the day make it a good weekend. I'd highly recommend this if you're looking to stay "local."

There used to be a Fall event hosted by a different group, but held at the same site. That group has since disbanded and those of us who run the Spring event tried to also take on the Fall event, but there's too much overlap with other events to allow us to do that (eg. I'm typically at the Black Forest Star Party for the New Moon weekend in September or one of several other events in October). So for the 2013, we're going to stick with just the Spring event.

Good luck,

stargazer424
sage

Reged: 10/03/05

Loc: Central NJ
Re: New Jersey Star Parties? new [Re: RobTeeter]
      #5582226 - 12/21/12 10:24 AM

Well, look at that. Post about the Stokes Star Party and get a response from the host!

I definitely plan on going! I have been camping at Stokes several times. Early April, huh? Depending on night temperatures, I'll probably bring my tent and camp out next to my scope. And bring my fishing gear for the daytime.

It's too bad there is no fall event there anymore.

RobTeeter

Re: New Jersey Star Parties? new [Re: stargazer424]
      #5594627 - 12/29/12 03:38 PM

Update: We attempted to book the NJSOC last week for April 5-7 for this Spring's Stokes Star Party but were told they were having another activity going on that weekend that would be taking up the facility. Luckily New Moon falls during the middle of the week, so we booked April 12-14 instead.

We'll have a 6% illuminated Moon on Friday which will set just before 10pm and an 11% illuminated Moon on Saturday that will set just before 11pm. This won't be a problem and will make for some neat lunar observing while we all wait for astronomical twilight to subside.

I also gave the Stokes Star Party website a much needed update, both aesthetically and informationally. I've also finally completed the Images page with a gallery of representative pictures of the observing field, scopes and our typical "cast of characters."

Hope to see a number of NJ/NY/PA observers there!

Amallore

Reged: 12/29/12

Loc: Nj USA
      #5595397 - 12/30/12 12:31 AM

I live in northern New Jersey I am definitely going to go cant wait. I am also looking for any clubs in my area. I did a little research but didn't come up with much in this area any suggestions would be appreciated .

Edited by Amallore (12/30/12 12:34 AM)

RobTeeter

Re: New Jersey Star Parties? new [Re: Amallore]
      #5596145 - 12/30/12 01:10 PM

There's the Rockland Astronomy Club in NY, just over the border, the Northwest Jersey Amateur Astronomers out near the Delaware Water Gap and the North Jersey Astronomy Group that meets at Montclair State University.

Rockland is big but doesn't have regular monthly meetings, instead they do special lecture programs that are more on an irregular basis. The two NJ clubs are smaller, but meet more regularly. The NWJAA club is neat because they meet at their president's house where he's got an observatory and a fairly large newtonian (>18") set up inside it. Observing after the meetings is typical if the conditions allow.

Good luck,

Amallore

Reged: 12/29/12

Loc: Nj USA
      #5597182 - 12/30/12 11:54 PM

Thank foe the info

midnite4blues
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/21/05

Loc: Denville, NJ
Re: New Jersey Star Parties? new [Re: Amallore]
      #5603817 - 01/03/13 10:33 PM

Quote:

I live in northern New Jersey I am definitely going to go cant wait. I am also looking for any clubs in my area. I did a little research but didn't come up with much in this area any suggestions would be appreciated .

Not sure where in northern NJ you are, but you are welcome to join us at the Sheep Hill astronomy club in Boonton, NJ. We have an observatory and decent grounds that you can use for observing. Check out the link below. And let me know if you have any questions.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 946

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics