Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/17/07

CPC or Nexstar GPS (Carbon Fiber Tube) and Why?
      #5577814 - 12/18/12 07:35 PM

Hi All,

I was wondering if you had the option to purchase used the equivalent size and condition CPC or Nexstar GPS (the model with the carbon fiber tube the CPC replaced) which would you choose and why? For example would you prefer a cpc 800 of a Nexstar GPS 8?

Thanks

Edited by gaz-in (12/18/12 10:25 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: CPC or Nexstar and Why? new [Re: gaz-in]
      #5577967 - 12/18/12 09:43 PM

The optics are going to be the same. The CPC is a dual fork mount while the Nexstar is a single arm fork, so the CPC will be heavier and less prone to vibration. On the same issues, the CPC tripod is considerably stouter . . . and of course those factors also make the CPC bulkier overall for transport and setup, while the Nexstar is more easily handled for grab and go use. The CPC does have a built in GPS which makes the alignment procedure a bit simpler, although both use the same basic go to system. Overall I would say the CPC is the better choice unless weight and transport are major factors.

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: CPC or Nexstar and Why? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5578025 - 12/18/12 10:23 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks lots for taking the time to reply to my post. As I read your reply, I realized I did a poor job of asking the question. I was asking about the the choice between a CPC and the Nexstar GPS (dual forked model the CPC replaced).

I have edited my post to be clearer. Thanks tons for taking the time to reply.

CarolG
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/16/06

Loc: Oklahoma
      #5578666 - 12/19/12 10:11 AM

I have a Nexstar 11 and bought it new about 7 years ago. It has performed flawlessly in all that time. I've never viewed through a CPC, but it is my understanding that the optics of the 2 are the same. The big differences (besides the CF tube, which is more expensive than the aluminum tube and will not scratch like aluminum)are the bronze (I think they're bronze) gears in the Nexstar and the slip ring in the NS series. The slip ring is another feature which is more expensive and is very helpful in reducing cord wrap. My NS11 has GPS which works well, but if you know your coordinates, it really isn't a necessary feature. The CPC does have a beefier tripod, but for me, that is not an issue, since I have my NS11 mounted on a wedge on a permanent pier. When I did use my NS11 on the tripod, the stock tripod was more than adequate. The bottom line, though, is, in my opinion, you can't go wrong with either a CPC or Nexstar. If I were to ever replace my Nexstar 11 (which is very unlikely), it would be with a Celestron 14". It has to do with that pesky "aperture fever"!

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: CPC or Nexstar and Why? new [Re: CarolG]
      #5578788 - 12/19/12 11:40 AM

Thanks Carol,

Thanks for the good inputs. The one tha struck me is the slip ring. I really dislike fooling with the cordwrap issue. I am really partial to the look of the NS vice the CPC. Kinda like the look of the Carbon Fiber Tube.

I wonder is the NS heavier than a comparable cpc? I should be bale to find the weights with "google"

Thanks again
Dan

Edited by gaz-in (12/19/12 11:41 AM)

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
      #5578812 - 12/19/12 11:55 AM

I looked and looked for a used NS11GPS before I just gave up after a few months and purchased a CPC1100 about 5-6 years ago...

WHY ? well because of the non rotating mount that was used on the older models and the better (Stronger ?) gears and bearings that were used in the older models ...

I did spend about 6 or so bucks and replaced the nylon ball bearings in the base of my CPC with steel ones... ONLY because it was a cheap quick and easy to do procedure that I felt was worth 6 bucks and a little time on a rainy day.....

Personally I'm quite happy with my CPC BUT I still think the NSGPS11 was a better overall scope..

Bob G.

CarolG
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/16/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: CPC or Nexstar and Why? new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5578856 - 12/19/12 12:48 PM

Dan,
According to my NS11 manual, the NS8 GPS weighs 42 pounds, the NS9.25 GPS weighs 58 pounds, and the NS11 GPS weighs 65 pounds. The CPC8 is 42 pounds, the CPC 9.25 is 58 pounds, and the CPC11 is 65 pounds. These weights do not include the tripod weights. So, there is no difference in weights.

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 824

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics