Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
PaulEK
sage

Reged: 05/25/08

Loc: Wisconsin
Mounts comparable to the Losmandy GM-100
      #5577973 - 12/18/12 09:47 PM

I've placed ads in both the classifieds and the Swap and Shop, looking for a mount. I'm not trying to find a specific mount to buy here, but wonder if anyone knows of any other mount comparable to the Losmandy GM-100. I know that not very many were made, but I owned one for a while, and really liked it. It was not capable of being converted to go-to, since it had a tangent arm DEC axis, but that's fine with me. In fact, I prefer it, since it means the price for one will almost certainly be lower. Below are the things I'm looking for in a mount. Does anyone know of anything comparable that I might want to consider? The G-11 is close, but I've read that the GM-100 carries more payload.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Orion Atlas go-to. I almost never use the go-to feature, and prefer push-to. I want something with at least 60 pounds instrument carrying capacity, good setting circles (real or digital), portability (or close), and push-to capability, rather than having to loosen and then re-tighten clutches when slewing. Excellent electronic tracking and the ability to autoguide are also needed. A polar scope would also be very nice to have. Finally, I'm hoping for something that I could get replacement parts for, if needed. My budget is less than the cost of a new G-11 with digital drive ($2195), so I'm obviously looking for something used.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gord
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/06/04

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
Re: Mounts comparable to the Losmandy GM-100 new [Re: PaulEK]
      #5577993 - 12/18/12 09:58 PM

Paul,

I'm not up on the older Losmandy offerings, but your requirements sound like a G11 would be a good fit. Used they can be had for very reasonable prices. And they have been around forever so are very proven and generally available.

Mine is an older sample from when they were being made for Celestron. I have the digital setting circles on mine. Love the push-to as well. It carries the C14 with ease, as well as any of my smaller scopes.

Highly recommended!

Clear skies,

Wouter D'hoye
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/27/03

Loc: Belgium
Re: Mounts comparable to the Losmandy GM-100 new [Re: Gord]
      #5578463 - 12/19/12 06:44 AM

Hi,

when I check some images of the GM-100 I actually start to think that the G11 is actually directly drived from the GM-100. The similarities in design are quite obvious. So I think it's safe to assume the G11 is currently the closest thing to a GM-100. And if you settle for a non goto version you can have one pretty cheap.

I'm perfectly happy with mine.

Wouter.

PaulEK
sage

Reged: 05/25/08

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: Mounts comparable to the Losmandy GM-100 new [Re: Wouter D'hoye]
      #5579462 - 12/19/12 07:23 PM

Thanks, Gord and Wouter! This is what I thought as well. I was just checking to see if anyone knew o something I'm not aware of.

Paul

johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

#5580036 - 12/20/12 03:54 AM

I still have my GM-100. It is a great mount, but was getting too heavy for me. If you got a good polar alignment with it, the manual setting circles were very accurate. The G-11 is very similar but can be upgraded to Go-To.

JohnD

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Mounts comparable to the Losmandy GM-100 new [Re: johnpd]
      #5580292 - 12/20/12 09:33 AM

Paul, sent you a message..

As an aside, I was looking for a better mount than the one I already have, and one of my candidates was the EM200.

So I went over to Jerry Lodriguss' site (because he's one of the few folks imaging with a C11 and EM200), and found out to my surprise that many of his current images are still taken with the GM-100, even though he has an EM200. So I guess the GM-100 is still a very viable imaging platform.

I also ended up deciding NOT to get an EM200.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Mounts comparable to the Losmandy GM-100 new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5580297 - 12/20/12 09:38 AM

on the other hand a used G11 can go for $1200 to $1300, and a used Celestron CI-700 (very similar to the G11) under $1000. That's seriously low-priced..

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
      #5580855 - 12/20/12 02:56 PM

Paul,
I have a G11 & an HGM-200. The GM-100 is an older version of the G11 & "Looks" blockier & not as well "refined" as the G11. I've was at an outreach event last year with my G11 & put a Meade 10" SNT, Celesgtron C6R, & an IOptron 90mm guidescope at the same time! The HD tripod creaked a bit but the Gemini-2/Maxon tracked the sun without any complaints. I don't think any of the other brands could've done it. It looked awesome, & what I was trying to do was show what the different types of scopes would show with the same EP. Worked too!
The GM I believe stands for General Machining, which they used before Hollywood General Machining. I believe that any parts for the G11 will fit the GM-100. If in doubt then you could contact either Scott Losmandy or his 2nd Russell Jannec. You can actually get them faster by telephone than by email. Both have massive amounts of information about all of the mounts they've ever made.
My HGM-200 is an older version of the Titan & is beefier looking but carries the same load. I called to find out more about it & Scott talked with me for 15-20 minutes about it. Later I talked to Russell about both my G11 & the HGM for 20-30 minutes about parts compatibility & availability. Based on those conversations I bought a 20yo HGM-200 that after a thorough DIY cleaning & relubing is working perfectly. Losmandy mounts have a IMO well deserved reputation of a solid functional mount. They do need periodic cleaning & relubing, there is a worm gear learning curve (often tamed by the Ovision or OPW mod), Balancing is critical for optimum performance, as with polar alignment. There is a Yahoo group for Losmandy, Gemini, Gemini-2, & Titan, that have volumes of information & help. I personally wouldn't hesitate getting a GM-100 unless it had been completely totaled by being left outside in the rain for years. They are THAT tough.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Pages: 1

Extra information
17 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 861

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics