Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
10gauge
sage

Reged: 10/31/10

Loc: Boston
Re: Choosing a Surveyor's Tripod... new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5577866 - 12/18/12 08:21 PM

Jim, did you decide on an alt-az mount yet? There is a void in the market for any mount rated above 15lbs. It's a huge jump in price between to mount a 5-5.5" over a 4" refractor. DM6 is a rip off for what it is; UA Deluxe looks horrible; T-Rex is nice, but over engineered...

Since I am looking for a GEM too for a 5.5" refractor, I might get the AZ EQ-6 and call it a day?!

Edited by 10gauge (12/18/12 08:37 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Choosing a Surveyor's Tripod... new [Re: 10gauge]
      #5578215 - 12/19/12 12:26 AM

I think I may try the Desert Sky Astro DSV-3. I'm gonna skip using big OTAs on it though. I'll probably stick with my 4" and smaller refractors and my 8" and smaller catadioptrics, and keep the TEC and larger catadioptrics on EQ mounts.

Regards,

Jim

kevint1
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: West Michigan
Re: Choosing a Surveyor's Tripod... [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5578299 - 12/19/12 02:06 AM

I upgraded my DSV-2 mount order to a DSV-3 last weekend. I plan on picking up another refractor in the 120mm range next year and possibly an 8" SCT, so I want the additional capacity. It should show up around the middle of January. I will be using it on the Stellarvue aluminum surveyor's tripod Jon mentions. I already have the tripod and used it with an MG-2 mount. The tripod is light weight, quick to set up and is very solid once you get a mount on it. The round wooden tray is large enough to comfortably hold an iPad. The tray attaches to the legs with adjustable tabs so you have some freedom on how wide you can spread the legs. I think I paid $175 for the tripod and its now going for $250. Desert Sky Astro sells what looks like the same tripod with a different spreader and without a tray for $180.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2496

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics