Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DAVIDG
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Hockessin, De
I need my offical Cave Tee shirt
      #5580558 - 12/20/12 12:19 PM Attachment (34 downloads)

I good friend Al Webber passed away a few months ago. Al was 104 and an amazing guy.He did thousands of occultation timings for the IOTA over his life time. He was still driving at 99 ! I meet Al when I was 11 and just got in amateur astronomy. Al was then President of Delaware Astronomical Society which meets at Mt Cuba Observatory in Greenville Delaware. Each June Al would have a picnic and star party at his farm house which was built in mid 1700's. Al had a small observatory out back that housed a 10" f/6 Cave. The family contacted me about the scope and now I have it. My plans are to fully restore it and donate to Mt Cuba Observatory in Al's name.
The observatory and scope hadn't been used in number of years and the properity was sold so I had to get the scope out as quickly as possible. I had to leave the pier behind since the bolts holding it the footing were under the floor. So if anyone has set of legs they want to sell please PM me.
The scope is in OK shape. Just the typical rust on the shafts and peeling paint. The tube was sealed with PVC caps which kept the mice out so the mirror is in good shape. I'll test it soon a post the results.
Here are a couple of pictures of the scope.

- Dave

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DAVIDG
Post Laureate

Re: I need my offical Cave Tee shirt new [Re: DAVIDG]
      #5580559 - 12/20/12 12:20 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

Here is a picture of the OTA.

- Dave

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

#5580562 - 12/20/12 12:21 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

Here is a box of parts including a Cave DC/AC drive corrector.

- Dave

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

#5580568 - 12/20/12 12:26 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

The scope had a 3" Edmund refractor as the guide scope. The lens had a PVC cap over it but nothing over the focuser tube. Mice decided to build a nest in the tube and it was packed solid from one end to other ! I've been soaking the cell in oil so I can hopefully get the lens out of the cell to clean it. More pictures to come as I restore the scope.
So were do I get my offical Caveman Telescope Tee shirt ?

All the Best and Happy Holidays !
- Dave

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #5580570 - 12/20/12 12:26 PM

Awesome, Dave!

Wow, your friend must have had all kinds of interesting stories to tell after all those decades!

I'm going to be really interested to hear how this mirror tests out. So far, I haven't had a bad experience with any Cave mirrors (12.5" f/7, 10" f/16 DK, but with Tinsley subcontracted optics, 8" f/7 - possibly my best 8" - and 6" f/8).

-Tim.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: I need my offical Cave Tee shirt new [Re: tim53]
      #5580579 - 12/20/12 12:31 PM

That's great and you have the history as well. Too bad about the pier. I would get a torch and cut the bolts out! Possibly, it might not be too hard to eventually find a set of legs for it and the column could be made. Actually, the column might have to be made depending on its height requirement.

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

Re: I need my offical Cave Tee shirt new [Re: Datapanic]
      #5580623 - 12/20/12 12:50 PM

Quote:

That's great and you have the history as well. Too bad about the pier. I would get a torch and cut the bolts out! Possibly, it might not be too hard to eventually find a set of legs for it and the column could be made. Actually, the column might have to be made depending on its height requirement.

Hi Dan,
Unfortunately the bolt can't be accessed since the floor covered them and I don't know the new owners of the house. I only had a few hours to get the scope before the properity was turned over to the new owners. I looked on Ebay and I can get a piece of 6" OD, 5.75" ID x 24" aluminum tubing for under $20 which fits the mounts latitude coupling. So it is the legs I really need.

- Dave

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #5580637 - 12/20/12 12:56 PM

Can you contact the new owners of the house through the realtor? They might be delighted to get it out of there, if nothing else.

What does the observatory look like? Anything special?

-Tim.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5580730 - 12/20/12 01:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Dan,
Unfortunately the bolt can't be accessed since the floor covered them and I don't know the new owners of the house. I only had a few hours to get the scope before the properity was turned over the new owners. I looked on Ebay and I can get a piece of 6" OD, 5.75" ID x 24" aluminum tubing for under $20 which fits the mounts latitude coupling. So it is the legs I really need.

- Dave

I'll keep a look out for Cave Legs. With all the Dob conversions of Caves, there should be a lot of them out there, but I've only seen sets for sale a couple times in the last 2 or 3 years.

I've often wondered how easy it would be to make copies of the legs - just need an original to make the mold...

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

Re: I need my offical Cave Tee shirt new [Re: tim53]
      #5580795 - 12/20/12 02:27 PM

Quote:

Can you contact the new owners of the house through the realtor? They might be delighted to get it out of there, if nothing else.

What does the observatory look like? Anything special?

-Tim.

Tim,
The observatory is a typical wooden roll of roof type. It is in bad shape and the wall are starting to fall in. With the a short section of 6" heavy walled tubing on Ebay for less then $20 it's not worth the trouble of trying to get original piece. What I really need is the legs.

- Dave

Bill Griffith
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/12/09

Loc: Ca.
      #5582217 - 12/21/12 10:20 AM

Dave,

Did you ever have a chance as a teenager to view through this Cave at one of the star parties at the farm?

Quite a compliment to be asked to take custodianship of a friend /mentor's possessions.

Congratulations!

Bill

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

Re: I need my offical Cave Tee shirt new [Re: Bill Griffith]
      #5582354 - 12/21/12 11:46 AM

Quote:

Dave,

Did you ever have a chance as a teenager to view through this Cave at one of the star parties at the farm?

Quite a compliment to be asked to take custodianship of a friend /mentor's possessions.

Congratulations!

Bill

Hi Bill,
Yes I did get to view thur this scope many times. Since Al had such a long and interesting life, I visited him many times over the years and observed together. About 10 years ago I helped Al and his son who at that time was in his early 70's replace the RA motor. So the scope has many fond memories for me. I said earlier Al made thousands of Lunar Occulations timings for IOTA with it so it was used for scientific purposes as well.

- Dave

bierbelly
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/04

Loc: Sterling, VA
      #5582460 - 12/21/12 12:48 PM

Quote:

Al was then President of Delaware Astronomical Society which meets at Mt Cuba Observatory in Greenville Delaware.

I presume the trees were a lot shorter then, and the neighbors not so close.

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

Re: I need my offical Cave Tee shirt new [Re: bierbelly]
      #5582683 - 12/21/12 03:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Al was then President of Delaware Astronomical Society which meets at Mt Cuba Observatory in Greenville Delaware.

I presume the trees were a lot shorter then, and the neighbors not so close.

The trees have been trimmed a couple of times. The fire wood they provided was great in my fireplace . Thanks to the lawyers a number of Deed restrictions were put into place to keep the stray light to a mininum. Too bad while your were living in Hockessin we never meet.

All the Best,
- Dave

clintwhitman
Caveman

Reged: 01/01/07

Loc: CALI SoEasyACavemanCanSlewIt
      #5583654 - 12/22/12 07:41 AM

Nice Work Dave, Good to see a great scope restored to greatness! Al will be reeling in the hereafter!
I might have a line on a set of original legs, They belong to DABear and he still has the mount at his house. I will have to talk to him about our plans for the wayward scope he has,,,,

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

Re: I need my offical Cave Tee shirt new [Re: clintwhitman]
      #5584382 - 12/22/12 05:21 PM

Quote:

Nice Work Dave, Good to see a great scope restored to greatness! Al will be reeling in the hereafter!
I might have a line on a set of original legs, They belong to DABear and he still has the mount at his house. I will have to talk to him about our plans for the wayward scope he has,,,,

Clint,
Many thanks for looking for a set a legs for Al's scope. I hope to pull the mirror tomorrow and I'll post some pictures of it and the inscription on so it can be added to the list.
I ordered a tube to replace the pier off of Ebay for $17.50.

Happy Holidays,
- Dave

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/14/09

Loc: North Carolina
      #5593175 - 12/28/12 07:17 PM

Dave,

Quick, here are some for sale if they are still available:

Cave Legs

joerbiker

Reged: 01/08/11

Loc: Illinois
Re: I need my offical Cave Tee shirt new [Re: PiSigma]
      #5593883 - 12/29/12 08:03 AM Attachment (4 downloads)

Hi Dave, I have been looking for a single leg fro my Cave restoration. These look perfect, but differ from mine in that they do not appear to have the additional threaded hole for the leveling screws.

I've attached a photo of mine.

The AM add is for a complete set and that works for you, however if you decide to pass, let me know. I may grab them and figure out what to do with the extras.

Thanks,

Edited by joerbiker (12/29/12 11:06 PM)

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

Re: I need my offical Cave Tee shirt new [Re: joerbiker]
      #5594522 - 12/29/12 02:22 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

Thanks for the alert about the legs, I'm waiting hear if I got them or not.
I started to restore the smaller parts on the scope. Here is a picture of Sky Micro focuser, after I removed it from the scope. The paint was peeling badly and the motion was rough.

- Dave

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

#5594542 - 12/29/12 02:33 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

I dissassembled to focuser and stripped the rest of the peeling wrinkled finished off the casting. A new coat of wrinkeld black was then applied. The knobs were polished by spinning them in a drill will holding steel wool against the. The pinion shaft and eccentric bushing were also polished the same way. The focuser tube has coarse threading on the outside that the pinion gear interfaces with. I discovered as I was cleaning the tube that there was a single turn of fine springy wire in the very top threads. I realized that this was meant to be placed on the last set of the threads at the bottom of the focusing tube. What it does is prevent the tube from being racket out past the pinion gear.
All the bearing surfaces were cleaned and polished and a light coat of grease applied. After I adjusted the eccentric bushing and the pressure screw in boby of the focuser which is opposition the pinion gear the motion is very smooth and gone is that jecky motion and I have experienced with other Sky Micro focusers.

Happy Holidays,
- Dave

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1297

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics