Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Jupiter in Color
      #5581159 - 12/20/12 05:44 PM Attachment (68 downloads)

Well, what better time to see color when the great pale spot is visible.

Actually, tonight the GRS had a bit of orange hinted across the top, but was mostly pale across the bottom. This is different than rare nights where the entire thing is two shades of orange. Oval BA gave only the slightest hint of orange.

What is still striking to me is the difference in hues between the SEB preceding and trailing the GRS. Once you see it, there is no denying the trailing SEB takes on a blue-grayish hue. Not only that, but it extends across the northern edge preceding the GRS, too.

AND! If you look carefully, the southern edge is lined with a darker color, as well. It was so hard to tell, but I have to think that darker lining is the cloud being drawn over the top of the GRS, too. It was so very difficult to tell exactly what color it was crossing the GRS.

AND! Another hint of that belt in the NTZ on the preceding limb! That thing is so very subtle, I really can;t believe I saw it.

AND! Nailed another white oval tonight, one preceding oval BA is A8. I think the count is 5, now. A0 A1, A4 and A5, too.

Couple other interesting features. One was along the northern NEB directly above the festoon. Not sure what to make of it, but it appeared darker and maybe even "not brown." Looks kind of like a barge. There is another faint one hollowing it. The belt wrapping under the GRS is making some progress.

Seeing was about 7/10 with average transparency, at around 1300UT on 19 Dec.

EDIT: Had one of those GAAA! moments. I sketched in a fleeting glimpse of a blue protrusion jetting north from the SEB into the EZ. Starting to notice a few here and there. I waited for it to show again and lost confidence. So I erased it. But there is one there! GAAA!

Edited by Asbytec (12/20/12 06:12 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JimPie
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/10/07

Loc: S.E.Michigan
Re: Jupiter in Color new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5581380 - 12/20/12 08:14 PM

Norme,
Your sketch has a wealth of details. What I find the most dramatic about this (among many striking details) is the staggered thin dark banding in the N Temp. With the light yellow green just south. It really gives the effect of a high altitude disturbance.

Andrev
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Jupiter in Color new [Re: JimPie]
      #5581506 - 12/20/12 09:44 PM

Norme.

Better and better. Very nice details.

Geez, sky is always clear where you live ! I'm jealous. Here 5th day overcast and no sun forecast until next monday...

Andre.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter in Color new [Re: JimPie]
      #5581518 - 12/20/12 09:51 PM

Jim, yea, those thin dashes show pretty well at times. The one near the center was particularly dark. Sometimes they poke north like Alfalfa's hair-do, but haven't seen that affect in a while. Other times they look like Jupiter's eyeliner. These days they appear more fragmented.

That yellow-green is supposed to be tawny. Something turns green in the strangulation. The STropZ is a bit tto green, too.

At first, I thought the NTrZ was ruddy. Someone mentioned it was tawny. They appeared to be right. Truthfully, at this CM it seems ruddy and is responsible for the NEB's ruddy glow. But, I really cannot lock it down, precisely, just a ruddy glow. There is some shading up there. So having seen the tawny clearly before, that's the hue it gets while I ponder the ruddy glow (not really pronounced on this night.)

On the other side of Jupiter, it is more tawny and no ruddy glow is readily seen. Just another example of Jupiter displaying different colors around it's disc.

Thank you, Jim.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
      #5581535 - 12/20/12 10:02 PM

Norme, a few words come to mind right now. Insane is one of them. I hate your skies...in an envious manner, of course.

Oh, and what is GAAA? Is it an acronym, or the phonetically spelled sound of a caveman dying?

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter in Color new [Re: Chopin]
      #5581560 - 12/20/12 10:20 PM

Andre, practically every night is clear. Our tropical dry season began sometime in November. The clouds will return with a vengeance in April and stay.

GAAA! Is a lot like the Monty Python scene reading the dying man's words scrawled on the cave wall. Yes, same emotion.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5581768 - 12/21/12 12:55 AM

Norme,

A lot interesting things going on there...

First off in your rendering you have the south tropical zone two toned with the northern part this pale cool blue cast. Is that intentional? I didn't see it referred to in the text.

The GRS is definately NOT one toned as it can be seemingly for years. It's a gradient through my scope too. While Im on that I have something with regard to it that's rather perplexing in an image shot thru a C14 but more on that tomorrow.

The SEB seems to be sporting these festoons. Am I wrong or are we seeing this to be the case? It is an odd development.

The faint belt isn't something I've yet seen in the NTZ so Inlook forward to trying.

Discrepancies....

I miss the white spots but I caught an ever so thin belt in the STZ. It was seen bolder than you indicated but conversely you have details in other places I didn't see at all. Interesting thing is threshold details can be 10" apart but if you aren't looking for it they don't show. That's something that rears its head from time to time with me anyway. The most difficult things need hyper focus sometimes.

Ok it's 1 am Norme Im hittn the sack. Good weather this weekend so.... I'm hoping!!!!

Pete

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter in Color new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5581833 - 12/21/12 03:07 AM

I hope you get a good bit or weather, Pete.

No, the cool blue is not intentional. It should be a thin light gray. Something is happening in the processing, adding the mask in another paint program, maybe. It may be the jpeg format. Not sure what's happening, sketched in sketch-paint, masked in paint.net, and de-saturated (a bit) in windows pic viewer. Maybe all that saving and re-saving is operating on the color. Working it.

Okay, look forward to the GRS thing that has you perplexed. You got me curious, too.

The belt in the STZ, that's all I see of it preceding oval BA. Just a tiny dash. On the other side of Jupiter, it's much more pronounced.

Not following you on the 10" sep. But, yea, hyper focus does help. Good seeing makes focus and collimation easier to get spot on. It's an added benefit to calm air itself.

It happens all the time, something unexpected will rear it's head. Those small protrusions poking north from the SEB, for example, seem to be showing more frequently. They are not easy, they just come when they do...if they do at all. Not sure if they are really festoons or not, could be.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
      #5582316 - 12/21/12 11:27 AM

Norme,

I feel I'm really missing out. Nothing but clouds here.
You are capturing a fantastic amount of great detail with Jupiter. Keep up the fine work.
What I really enjoy here is the potential for what I might be able to see if I get a chance.

Frank

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter in Color new [Re: frank5817]
      #5582492 - 12/21/12 01:10 PM

Thank you. Got my fingers crossed for ya, Frank. We got clouded out tonight, too. But that's okay, need a break.

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #5582636 - 12/21/12 02:57 PM

Norme,

Very good sketch of Jupiter .

CS,KLU,

Tom

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

Re: Jupiter in Color new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #5593813 - 12/29/12 05:17 AM

Norme - Super work with Jupiter.

astronz59
sage

Reged: 09/15/10

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
      #5593820 - 12/29/12 05:37 AM

Norme, great drawing full of interesting details. I'm totally with you on the GPS thing.....

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter in Color new [Re: astronz59]
      #5593825 - 12/29/12 06:00 AM

Thank you, guys, have a happy new year!

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1032

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics