Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
04yellowf150

Reged: 01/08/11

CGEM 8inch EdgeHD weight question
      #5582255 - 12/21/12 10:43 AM

Would the CGEM 8in HD model be able to support a piggy backed camera for wide field as well as a dslr attached to the telescope for imaging?? Or would 2 dslr's be to much for this mount along with the scope? The dslrs would be canon t2i(550d) and the lens would be no more than 300mm.
Any help would be much appreciated it. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AstroRick

Reged: 08/13/12

Loc: Ohio
Re: CGEM 8inch EdgeHD weight question new [Re: 04yellowf150]
      #5582343 - 12/21/12 11:40 AM

I don't think that weight is the issue. Having a convenient mount point may be more of a problem, especially if you already have a guidescope mounted on the dovetail bar.

I have done almost that, with my 5" refractor on my CGEM, a CCD camera with off-axis guider at the rear, and my DSLR piggybacked on the otherwise empty dovetail bar up near the front. I used ImagesPlus to control the CCD camera, BackyardEOS to control the DSLR, and PHD for guiding. Good thing I have a lot of USB ports!

I was worried about mirror flip on the DSLR messing an ongoing exposure with the CCD camera, but did not have a problem.

Rick Burke

Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Re: CGEM 8inch EdgeHD weight question new [Re: AstroRick]
      #5582399 - 12/21/12 12:21 PM

The additional weight shouldn't be a problem. AS Rick was touching on, you will need to find a good way to mount it. For a 300mm lens, a set of ring might be required.

Pages: 1

Extra information
18 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 358

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics