Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1
pogobbler
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: Central Indiana, USA
The Tasco won't go away!!
      #5585060 - 12/23/12 03:17 AM

In the local Craigslist there's a listing for a Tasco 11TR 4.5" reflector scope. The price they apparently want is $200. The ad ( http://muncie.craigslist.org/tls/3404416996.html ) has been reposted regularly over at least the past year. Seeing it every time I search for telescopes for sale is beginning to make me tear my hair out, make fine artists paint brushes with the hair, then paint threatening, yet philosophical letters to them, expressing how seeing their ad there day after day is chipping away pieces of my soul and making me question the very nature of reality.

I'm beginning to think it might not be an ad for a telescope at all, but, rather, a signal to a hitman to contact them for his next job. He's a busy little bee.

Or it might be the original ad that the local Craigslist started with and it's being kept for posterity, so future generations can see how it all started.

Please... make it stop....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
grendel
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/12/09

Loc: Canterbury, Kent, UK
Re: The Tasco won't go away!! new [Re: pogobbler]
      #5585077 - 12/23/12 04:06 AM

the simple answer of course is to buy the scope...
Grendel

David E
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/25/06

Loc: North Carolina
Re: The Tasco won't go away!! new [Re: grendel]
      #5585283 - 12/23/12 09:44 AM

Quote:

the simple answer of course is to buy the scope...
Grendel

But if he gets it and doesn't like it, he'll have to list it back on Craigslist.

desertrefugee
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/07

Loc: Arizona
      #5585322 - 12/23/12 10:16 AM

Funny stuff. There are a couple like that around here.

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/08

Loc: Colorado
Re: The Tasco won't go away!! new [Re: desertrefugee]
      #5585374 - 12/23/12 10:55 AM

Denver Metro usually carries a few. The latest is a 'dime-a-dozen' 114mm with .965 focuser for $175. It's been renewed for many months. I usually have something close to any seriously obnoxiosly priced scope.
I just post a reasonably priced ad to follow the bad one, to try to keep some one from going to the cleaners. Sometimes I'll post a general telescope warning ad along with a $10 scope, just to get a general caution out, and something more specific that might address a bad ad.
It's not my job to protect society and I don't specifically police the ads. It's a matter of outreach obligation when something totally wacky comes along, and the feeling for action is there. The Front Range Corridor (tri cities)is huge and Denver Metro is the center of it. If I let every bogus offer bother me, I'd be turning my 8" F2.9 into a hooka.

Ducky62
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/31/10

Loc: The ATL
Re: The Tasco won't go away!! new [Re: apfever]
      #5585424 - 12/23/12 11:32 AM

There is a Meade 312 that has been on ebay since I joined this forum 2 years ago.

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: The Tasco won't go away!! new [Re: Ducky62]
      #5587204 - 12/24/12 01:05 PM

Funny there was a guy on Ebay selling a nice Volvo 240 but was asking a ridiculous price. He relisted it twice asking even more money. I sent him a very nice note telling him that the price (around 11-12k) was waaaaay out of whack. He sent me a slightly snide you don't know about Volvos reply but didn't post it on the Bay gain. I look at Ebay prices in the states and wonder why people pay %50 more than some thing is worth. I look at stuff in the UK and they don't seem to be so stupid about over bidding an item. I even sold a few things at a much higher price than expected.
You can always send somebody an informatory note about asking 5x what the going rate for an item. It's really obnoxious and misleading to the uninformed.

grendel
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/12/09

Loc: Canterbury, Kent, UK
Re: The Tasco won't go away!! new [Re: bremms]
      #5589260 - 12/26/12 07:34 AM

I only pay up to £500-600 for my old volvos, I try and pay £100 or less on classic scopes too.
Grendel

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: The Tasco won't go away!! new [Re: grendel]
      #5590410 - 12/26/12 10:20 PM

I think the difference in UK and US prices for some models of cars is that there is the "UK Specs" and the "American Specs". When I was stationed in Upper Heyford back in the 80's, you could get a Jaguar for super cheap, but it was UK Specs and to import it would require it the have re-enforced doors and emission controls added on. So, the great price was for driving it there, not bringing it back to the states. I went super-cool and drove a Peugeot 505, but it was not fun trying to get parts for it from France!

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
Re: The Tasco won't go away!! new [Re: Datapanic]
      #5590885 - 12/27/12 09:30 AM

Come on folks lets stick to telescopes.

Rich (RLTYS)

k9yr

Reged: 05/21/08

Loc: Far North suburbs of Chicago
Re: The Tasco won't go away!! new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5591395 - 12/27/12 03:46 PM

I see many telescopes that are way overpriced and listed, and relisted, and relisted on Craigslist. As much as I would love to email them that their price is rediculous and out of line, its not my problem. I laugh and move on to the next ad. Good Craigslist deals locally are hard to find, but do occur. The Chicago Milwaukee area is filled with cheap telescope ads all the time.

desertrefugee
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/07

Loc: Arizona
Re: The Tasco won't go away!! new [Re: k9yr]
      #5591447 - 12/27/12 04:36 PM

Phoenix used to be fertile ground. The word's out, I guess. More folks are asking top - and in many cases ridiculous - prices.

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
Re: The Tasco won't go away!! new [Re: desertrefugee]
      #5593358 - 12/28/12 09:13 PM

My favorite ad on eBay wanted, originally, $500 for a "Newtonine" telescope, Celestron branded, but cheaply made in China. For that and just shy of $70 shipping, it could have been yours. For fun, I wrote, explaining that it would be difficult to sell a scope that was worth about half of its cost of shipping, and recommending cheaper shipping with an opening bid of $1.00. I received a polite reply. Months, maybe a year later, that scope is still there, relisted regularly, albeit now at the bargain price of $195. Makes me wonder whether the seller figures that if he waits long enough, some poor fool will pay his price.

k9yr

Reged: 05/21/08

Loc: Far North suburbs of Chicago
Re: The Tasco won't go away!! new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #5593670 - 12/29/12 12:51 AM

I must not email this guy...I must refrain.....

http://madison.craigslist.org/ele/3459758001.html

pogobbler
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: Central Indiana, USA
Re: The Tasco won't go away!! new [Re: k9yr]
      #5595559 - 12/30/12 04:19 AM

This one's a doozie, too

http://janesville.craigslist.org/for/3472458575.html

dgreyson
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/06/12

Loc: South Carolina
      #5596166 - 12/30/12 01:22 PM

The sad thing is that some of these chuckleheads likely DID pay $1800.00 for it. As Henry Menchkin once observed: "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: The Tasco won't go away!! new [Re: dgreyson]
      #5599249 - 01/01/13 09:22 AM

Quote:

The sad thing is that some of these chuckleheads likely DID pay $1800.00 for it. As Henry Menchkin once observed: "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Well, H.L. Mencken notwithstanding, a lot of these ads are kinda sad. Desperate people in desperate times who've acquired a scope somehow...often from a deceased relative...and are hoping against hope it will bring enough money to help them.

barasits
sage

Reged: 06/12/11

Loc: Chicago
Re: The Tasco won't go away!! new [Re: rmollise]
      #5600284 - 01/01/13 08:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, H.L. Mencken notwithstanding, a lot of these ads are kinda sad. Desperate people in desperate times who've acquired a scope somehow...often from a deceased relative...and are hoping against hope it will bring enough money to help them.

That grim thought has also crossed my mind when looking at some of these ads. But if the seller posted the ad on Craigslist, then they must have internet access which means that with little effort they could get a fair idea of what the scope is worth.

By the way, Uncle Rod, I enjoyed your latest article in S&T on observing with astrovideo gear. I'm tempted to give it a try.

Geoff

dgreyson
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/06/12

Loc: South Carolina
Re: The Tasco won't go away!! new [Re: rmollise]
      #5600440 - 01/01/13 10:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

True, that is always a likely possibility. But people in that position want to make a quick sale, they dont hold out for a price they already know they wont get until someone with more cash than sense comes along. I've had very hard times myself so I personally know about that sort of thing. Fire sales on ebay just to keep ahead of the wolf at the door. I agree they need the money, the issue of just why that would be depends on both circumstance and personality. Im most things, Ive usually found that there is more than enough blame to go around for everybody.

Mr Magoo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: Indiana
      #5600645 - 01/02/13 01:27 AM

I live in Franklin, IN and have been looking at that darn ad seems like forever. It caught me again tonight while doing a Search Tempest search.

Pages: 1

Extra information
22 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1539

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics