Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sean Wood

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: snorkler]
      #5541611 - 11/27/12 07:37 AM

Ad-hoc WiFi networking can be achieved on Android but you have to have a Rooted(jailbroke) device and have to alter a system file called the Wifi_suplicant file. There is some good info on the XDA-developers forums on the subject some may not be specific to the Nexus 7 but it's essentially the same process.

****This fairly technical and I highly suggest do tons of research and have familiarity with Linux command code before even attempting.****

The largest issue issue is that if you alter the file to recognize Ad-Hoc you wont be able to connect into a standard infrastructure type WiFi connection. So you either have to alter the file ever time and or manage 2 separate altered files edited for each network type and just rename and swap them out each time you change network types.
I did this with one of my old Android phones it just got a little tedious having to remember the command code to do this every time. With me being a lazy individual, this just would not do. I eventually used an Android app called Gscript to manage the process. Gscript allows you to create command line scripts, in this case the individual Linux commands to swap the 2 altered files. After you have the scripts written Gscript would allow you to run the individual scripts via shortcuts on your home screen. This made changing network types as easy as hitting a button and turning off and on Wifi.

LIKE I SAID.. THIS IS FAIRLY TECHNICAL ATTEMPT WITH CAUTION... worst case scenario you could have a nice tablet shaped paper weight or disable your WiFi completely and have to pull yourself out of a whole.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bas van Krieken
Vendor - FOViewer

Reged: 10/14/08

Loc: Amersfoort, the Netherlands
Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: Sean Wood]
      #5541700 - 11/27/12 09:14 AM

Regarding the OP.
I'd definitely go for the Nexus 7. It is the best specced 7" tablet at the moment and uses Vanilla Android, which ensures that you will always have the latest Android version.

Apart from that, the Nexus 7 runs StarLog and the Kindle doesn't. That should be a decisive argument

JAT Observatory
NOT a Wimp

Reged: 02/20/05

Loc: In the Primordial Soup
Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: snorkler]
      #5541709 - 11/27/12 09:22 AM

Quote:

So, Wi-Fi Direct ad hoc networking, and third party app ad hoc networking aren't "true" ad hoc networking? Why didn't somebody tell me only "true" ad hoc networking qualifies as ad hoc communicating?

So you can connect your Andriod device to any non-Android Ad-Hoc network device? If you can do that then you have true Ad-Hoc.

Sean Wood

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: JAT Observatory]
      #5541792 - 11/27/12 10:21 AM

From my understanding Yes...
BACK IN THE DAY, said in my best geezer voice, (2009) to wirelessly tether your laptop on the original Droid you had to set it up as an Ad-Hoc network device because it didn't have the hardware to broadcast an infrastructure/hotspot signal. The only way to accomplish it was to alter the wifi_suplicant file. Really it was only an act of changing a value from a "1" to a "0" for one string line that set the wifi for infrastructure mode, Then changing the defining string for Ad-Hoc from a "0" to a "1" and turningoff and on the wifi... sounds simple but finding the file, changing the write/rewrite permissions(you need root access to specifically do this) for the file, opening the file in an editor window, digging through all the variable strings to find the right strings and making the edits, saving the file, changing the permissions back to read only... it was just a hassle at the time for what little I was using it for, I really didn't tether enough to merit the head ache. But YES this CAN be done if you really want to.

But like the fellow from Southern Stars said.. Bluetooth works fine. This would be a pain to do on a continuing basis, unless you just wanted to do proof of concept or if you plan on using your tablet strictly as a dedicated device, though you would have to change back in the event of software updates. Given that, I don't know if I'd do it.

proud uncle
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/22/07

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: Sean Wood]
      #5583560 - 12/22/12 03:30 AM

Thanks, Carol, for the question. Thanks others for your input. I was having the same question. Finding Carol's thread saved me from starting a new thread. This thread has helped answer my questions.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: proud uncle]
      #5584288 - 12/22/12 03:38 PM

Kenneth, there's certainly great information here; thanks to the fantastic members with the experience with these instruments!

CarolG
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/16/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5584616 - 12/22/12 07:56 PM

So, Carol, have you decided whether you're going to get a tablet? If you do get one, please let us know which one you picked and, after using it awhile, how you like it.

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: CarolG]
      #5584897 - 12/22/12 11:47 PM

For reading, playing games and free apps.

Well for reading a regular Kindle is the best way to go. For playing games I think either tablet would work. If you want it for both, I would say it is a toss up.

For me if I was buying I would get the Kindle Fire HD, mostly because I know who and what Amazon is AND we already have one in the household. I have no experience with the Google Playstore. That being said I might get the Nexus just for something different if the mood took me.

If I was looking for a tablet for astronomy, I wouldn't look at either of these tablets. There is a reason why most of the niche apps are at Apple... that is where the marketshare is.

Edited by LivingNDixie (12/22/12 11:54 PM)

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: CarolG]
      #5584953 - 12/23/12 12:33 AM

Quote:

So, Carol, have you decided whether you're going to get a tablet? If you do get one, please let us know which one you picked and, after using it awhile, how you like it.

Hi Carol; haven't decided yet, if I would get a lot of use out of one, since I have a Netbook, and a Kindle reader.

dandabson

Reged: 10/15/08

Loc: Dover, DE
Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? [Re: snorkler]
      #5585153 - 12/23/12 07:00 AM

Here is my take on tablets. My wife has a Kindle tablet and I have a 7" Acer. For her the Kindle is ideal. She uses it as an E reader a majority of the time. She has some apps installed but, not many. I use the Acer for everything. There is a Kindle app I use for reading. I also have access to Google books which allows me to pick from a greater selection of books. The Kindle doesn't have access to the play store. There are not as many free apps on the Kindle app store. I use an app called PdaNet on my tablet. It allows you to ghost internet off of a smart phone without your carrier noticing, pretty cool. If I were to do it again the only difference I would make is to get the 10" version. Things can get a little cramped on a 7" screen. I tried using a netbook for guiding and imaging, again it got a little cramped. I ended up using an older full sized laptop. Much easier.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3104

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics