Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GPS Module
      #5585537 - 12/23/12 12:44 PM

I received my SkyWatcher GPS module from KSTElescopes yesterday and I connected it to the SynScan. The SynScan initialized, found the GPS unit and after a while the controller asked for the time zone and daylight or standard time. So I assumed it was working properly. Later that day, I went to try it out again. The SynScan went to initializing and never progressed. The instructions say that the initialization process should only take 2 seconds. After about 5 minutes, I shut down the mount, removed the GPS cable from the SynScan and started up the mount. All worked fine.

Today, I took the GPS and SynScan outside. I left the mount inside. I attached the GPS module to the SynScan, applied power, and the controller stuck in the initialization mode. I disconnected the power, disconnected the GPS module, powered the SynScan up and it worked properly.

Is there an issue with the GPS module? Does it need a firmware update? I updated the mount to V3.32.

Jack Huerekamp

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

Re: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GPS Module new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5585964 - 12/23/12 05:09 PM

Jack,

When I first tried mine, it took quite a while for the GPS to get its info. I was doing it inside, so I figured it would take some time plus the manual says the first time would take a while. There is no update for the GPS that I am aware of. Mine came with three different cables. Not sure why. There was one with the RJ-11 and a female mouse connectors. This is the one I used. A second had RJ-11 and male mouse connectors, and a third had a female mouse and USB connectors. Not sure what the second one was for. The third one might be for updating the GPS. Sounds like you might have a defective mouse or cable?

JohnD

johnpd
sage

Re: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GPS Module new [Re: johnpd]
      #5586242 - 12/23/12 08:43 PM

Jack,

Try installing the software that came on a mini CD along with the GPS. See if that can communicate with the GPS module. There is an instruction manual that comes on the CD that explains what all the cables are used for and how to use the software.

JohnD

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5586304 - 12/23/12 09:35 PM

John,

I installed the software onto my desktop PC and when I try to sync onto the unit, it failed. I will try tomorrow on my laptop as maybe being indoors caused the failure. I did have the GPS module near a window though.

Jack

johnpd
sage

#5586426 - 12/23/12 11:08 PM

Make sure you have the BAUD setting at 4800 instead of the normal 9600.

JohnD

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5586653 - 12/24/12 04:55 AM

John,

I had the Baud rate set to 4800 and I had the correct COM port picked as well. I will try it again outide today.

Jack

gonzosc1
sage

Reged: 11/08/12

Loc: South Carolina
      #5586854 - 12/24/12 09:27 AM

I had this same problem when I setup in the house. but I did as you did and just took the HC and gps outside and it worked fine. but it will not go past the initialization screen when hooked up to the mount.
I can live with it as long as it works with the HC by itself. no need to have it hooked up to the mount as it hold last location entered into it, and HC port could be used for something else when needed..

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GPS Module new [Re: gonzosc1]
      #5586902 - 12/24/12 09:54 AM

When I took just the hand controller and GPS module outside, I could not get past the initialization screen. It just stuck there. After removing the GPS module from the hand controller, the hand controller initialized and then said that the mount was not connected. So the hand controller is working without the GPS and not with it connected.

Brian at KWTelescopes is checking to see what the issue may be.

Jack

gonzosc1
sage

#5587009 - 12/24/12 11:06 AM

oh it would not work by itself outside....uhmmmm..
maybe try a reset then go outside.. its just a thought!
as I said, with mine it will not work whan hooked up to the mount but does work stand alone with HC.. maybe its a firmware problem in the HC. anybody know if that would be the problem..

gonzosc1
sage

#5587023 - 12/24/12 11:14 AM

I just remembered something.. I forgot to mention that I had to push the DIN connector cables together very hard before I got a connection. give that a try..

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5588522 - 12/25/12 01:51 PM

Yesterday, I connected the GPS module to my laptop and outside I was able to get it to link to 8-10 satellites. So I knew the GPS module was working. I then went to the AZ-EQ6, changed the longitude to 120W instead of 90W and the time zone to -7 instead of -6. I faked an alignment and shut the mount down. I then attached the GPS module to the mount, started it up and it took a while to get past "initialization". Eventually it did, it asked for the time zone and if time was daylight savings or regular. I then did another fake alignment and shut the mount down. I disconnected the GPS module and started up the mount. The latitude and longitude were those of my home.

The GPS module is working.

Thanks to all who responded to my request for assistance.

Jack

gonzosc1
sage

#5589961 - 12/26/12 04:39 PM

how long was the wait?? maybe I did not wait long enough with mine!

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5590381 - 12/26/12 10:01 PM

I was not keeping time, but I would guess less than 2 minutes.

Jack

evhap

Reged: 11/09/10

Loc: California
      #6220560 - 11/27/13 11:47 PM

Let me throw in another GPS issue. My GPS had been working fine, with handset firmware 3.28 through 3.35. Now it suddenly starts reporting a date in midyear 2033! Time, latitude and longitude are all correct. However, when you manually correct the date on the handset, it throws the time off, so you have to reset the time as well, pretty much wiping out the usefulness of the GPS. Anyone seen anything like this or have any suggestions?

Evan

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2357

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics