Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Dan McConaughy
sage

Reged: 11/11/06

Loc: LA
Sky X and G11
      #5586312 - 12/23/12 09:39 PM

Hello
I have heard that Sky X can run the G11 goto better than the gemini. Who has had experience with this? I'm a visual observer and am interested in goto performance.
Thank you.
Dan McConaughy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: Sky X and G11 new [Re: Dan McConaughy]
      #5586605 - 12/24/12 02:36 AM

I haven't managed to get it to work because The Sky X doesn't support the Gemini II natively, so if you have Gemini II, just be informed that it's not supported by The Sky

Dan McConaughy
sage

Reged: 11/11/06

Loc: LA
Re: Sky X and G11 new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5586848 - 12/24/12 09:24 AM

I have Gemini I. Does the Sky X improve Gemini I?

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Sky X and G11 new [Re: Dan McConaughy]
      #5587655 - 12/24/12 07:15 PM

I imagine they're referring to T-point or the Maxpoint programs that allow you to model your point model and take into account the errors in your system.

Gemini 2 has this built into it, whereas a Gemini 1 system would need an additional software package. I gave Maxpoint a run at one point; it did help immensely with generating a pointing model on my CGEM.

However, you might consider just geting using something that relies on astrometrics to aim your scope. MaximDL has this built into its software; a wrap around freeware program that is finding success is called Astro Tortilla as well. If you are a visual observer, you could mount a small refractor with a camera in line with your primary scope and use that to 'aim' the big guy using one of these software packages.

I would say that your pointing model is as accurate as you align your mount. I can't imagine that 'just' the SkyX would improve your aiming; and that what the person was referring to was using some type of modeling program like T-point or Maxpoint.

Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
12 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 500

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics